Sands of Time

:man_shrugging:

I think player preferences have become pretty clear by now:

• Minimal randomisation in scoring (fairer)
  • Battle selection refreshes (‘choice’)
  • Increasing points for higher difficulty/level battles (motivation)
  • Clear or explained mechanism (e.g. “Highest rarity battles give the most points”, rather than “That, but randomly these two battles are worth more and we won’t tell you in-game so gl”)

Imo, the best way to play around with World Event scoring mechanisms for now would be to come up with novel battle selection successions (but that don’t let you ‘miss out’ or make the wrong choice because you don’t know what’s coming up next - obvs some random and playing the odds is usually expected, though).

• E.g. (similarly to Explore Mythstones) “In this week’s event, you can fight Naga for their tongues or Wildfolk for their ears. Bigger enemies will drop a greater weight of these tongues/ears. The Naga and Wildfolk won’t abide this for long, though - every time you kill 3 of their minions, the Gods of these races will appear to avenge them. Joke’s on them, though - their tongues/ears are the heaviest of all! Finley from Pridelands has no moral compass, just a magic needle that always points to Gold. He will trade the tongues/ears your Guild collects for Orbs and other things.” In this case, it would be most profitable to target whichever race you dislike the most to keep increasing the rewards earned, which is not at all problematic. I also potentially like the idea of taking on more profitable battles that then give the ‘Boss’ some trickier ‘Boss Traits’ (similar to Delves) to deal with in the resulting battle, even though those seem to have been largely scrapped for now.

• You could even make players choose between the rewards they want to work towards. Given complaints about contributions to the wrong guild tasks, no chance of that going wrong, though, I guess.
  • Another e.g. “We need you to enchant these runestones for us. No questions, just do it. You’ll need to soak them in the blood of a Stryx (air), a Tauros (earth), and a Merfolk (water) - in that order! If you mess it up, you’ll have to start again!”

• Could probs get frustrating, though :sweat_smile:
8 Likes