[Reported] Underspire: Endless corridor

Platform, device version and operating system:
Windows 10 x64

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
Several weeks it was perfectly normal. Well, it was normal up today. And today I spent all daily gems trying to reach the end of the corridor - in vain. As you can see, it’s 27 locations long already, and still didn’t end!

It’s utterly wrong, especially as I cannot accumulate turns, and even cannot pay with gems. Neither corridor must be so long!

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
I experienced it the first time today.

Steps to make it happen again
shrug Check the generated mazes? No idea, actually.

2 Likes

~!~ UNDERSPIRE: Map Key ~!~
DarwinX
UM (Underspire Map): unique for each player

• generates MP then places Boss & GM
  • can contain unreachable TILES (unnecessary for completion)
    AREA (GM/KG/BOSS): contains 1 of each
    SR (Starting Room): counts as 0
    TILE (Square/battle/room/space): counts as 1
  • count MP first :star:
  • never counted twice
    MP (Main Path): SR to KG #6
  • forks w/o rejoining
    KG (Keystone Gate): 1-6
  • 7 TILES from SR to KG #1 or KG to KG†
    KS (Keystone): 1-6
  • buy from GM or defeat Boss
    SP/BP (Side/Boss Path): GM & Boss
  • forks from MP to start count
    • do NOT count MP TILES when counting SP :star:
  • fourth TILE without intersection leads to BOSS :new~1:
  • GM & BOSS paths can overlap
    GM (Goblin Merchant)
  • #1 always 2 TILES from SR
    • sells KS #1 & FREE LANTERN
  • #2-#6 usually 6 TILES from MP
    • 5 TILES uncommon
      BOSS (Dragon battles): 1-7
  • 6 TILES from MP‡
    • 3-5 TILES uncommon
  • #1, 3 & 5: trash rewards
  • #2, 4, 6 & 7: use lantern
  • #7: 1 TILE after KG #6
  • team may not include a Dragon

† 6 TILES & NO KEYSTONE GATE in sight? Wrong Way!
‡ 5 TILES (from MP) & NO BOSS in sight? Wrong Way!

Few things to keep in mind on your next Underspire. :point_up_2:

12 Likes

Huh. So it can go forever, but it’s definitely the wrong way? sigh I would prefer if it was cut down after “definitely useless” trigger works. Ok, thank you for the info.

1 Like

I know last week I ended up going down one of these “endless” sidepaths…

My preferred target is Gem Dragon #2 (drops Epic Vault Keys) so this wasn’t MUCH of a problem, but it was sure as heck annoying…

(Also, tech tip for @Shadowfeld make sure to double space after each list ends for proper separation)

1 Like

I’ve reported this to the team because it seems a bit mean to have a 20+ tile dead end. Also we should have some code to stop things getting too crazy like this already so it does seem possibly bugged - I’ll get more details.

8 Likes

Welp, incoming “fix” to completely negate the rules we as players have discovered for keystone/boss paths most likely :frowning:

7 Likes

I really hope they don’t change the code much, or at all. Removing a very rare dead end like this isn’t worth greatly increasing the number of sigils to complete the event, and would be a huge disappointment.

It’s currently a HUGE gem sink, and if made worse it would be hard to justify playing.

3 Likes

That’s why we don’t mention such things in the open.

Though I really hope they won’t do that because it’s intentionally made the way it is, and still results in enough dead ends as is.

4 Likes

It’s impressive honestly the stuff you folks achieve working out the logic behind how the map is setup but this is currently a problem for every person in the game and the optimal strategy is only available to super engaged members of the community or those in the know.

There’ll still always be an optimal strategy which people can search the community for info on but it won’t penalise players so much for not going looking for that info as right now it’s pretty rough for them.

It’s not that I want to sabotage your work or make things harder for you, I know you’ll work out the optimal strategy quickly again after any changes are made, but also it means the 10s of thousands of players who don’t know about the strategy won’t be punished for not knowing it exists or where to find it.

In game design it’s best to make things obvious and fair for people just playing and strategies and guides are the cherry ontop for more engaged community members or hardcore players.

Either way, I don’t have word back from the team yet but if anything changes I will do my best to share details with you if I’m able to so that you can adjust your strategy easier without having to collect data from trying things out for yourselves.

14 Likes

yea, but as long as they leave they main/boss path generation alone its fine, our fear is that they will mess with those paths AS WELL, and then our weekly gem investment goes from ~600 gems to over 1000, making the game mode feel terrible. Just please make sure they dont mess with the main path generations, and only end dead ends faster.

Its not so much a matter of optimal strategy, but that anything they touch will hard require more gem investment, and NOBODY wants that, even the people who didnt know the strats. Ideally, how its generated should just be made public by the devs, then we dont have to worry about those who arent “in the know”

6 Likes

Then… please publish scoring info for WEs in-game. Publish gnome % drop chances during Vault and outside the Vault. Publish % chance for token drops in explore. Announce the % chance of mini mimic and hoard mimic battles (and % chance for Hoard Mimic dropping from the HM chest). This is all missing. Please, publish more info inside the game itself, so that we don’t need to go looking anywhere. Including the forums. You aren’t really following the guidelines you’re quoting (I don’t mean you personally, but you as the people making decisions about how GoW is run.

If you’re worried about people who don’t follow hardocre community - do what you preach everywhere. Not just when you feel like it.

18 Likes

Then… why weren’t the World Events ever adjusted to have scoring included in-game? Why do players have to come to the forums just to figure out how to approach these silly events?

This reminds me of the week where they obscured how to spawn the World Event enemy (I think it was Inari?) for the best scores, so only the players in the forum that guessed it was bugged were the only players that had a chance to learn out how the stupid thing worked.

7 Likes

This is going slightly off topic for this thread but:

Agreed about the World Event scoring descriptions.
And some of the other things like the medal and other reward drop rates.

For the Vault weekends that’s one of those things where you’re not affected if you just play the game, you’ll encounter gnomes during your play time or you won’t regardless of their appearance rate. It’s just bonus rewards for spending time in game. We could mention something like “double or triple chance to encounter gnomes because of the Vault Event” (I don’t know the actual bonus chance off the top of my head) without mentioning the base percentages etc.

What I meant is that you shouldn’t be at a significant disadvantage if you don’t leave the game to find additional information and that definitely currently applies to Underspire and World Events.

The Reward drop chances would just bring things in line with ie the chest drop rates and such being visible in game so it’s also not in the same vein of things as WE and Underspire.

5 Likes

I know (about derailing the topic), but it’s just pet peeve of mine that’s been annoying me (and not only me) a lot. Leaving the past “missing info” aside and sticking to the Underspire issue - without clicking the “?” button that takes the player away from the game into a browser window (on PC) - is there any info in the game itself on how to approach the Underspire event at all? Not really…

3 Likes

600 investment is very rare. Most are investing 1k-1.2k gems a week on Underspire.

And especially reliable information which troops can be found in which chests, e.g. by clicking a (possibly unowned) troop in the roster and getting a detailed list that reflects reality. “Punishing” doesn’t even begin to describe the player experience when trusting in what the official announcements and in-game information claim.

7 Likes

50+100 gems Monday-Friday (750 gems) + free torches Saturday-Sunday is usually enough; if someone is more brave than me, they can risk not buying pack 2 on two days and buying pack 1 on Saturday and Sunday instead, reducing the buy-in to 650. But you need to get lucky with the paths you pick through the maze and you risk not having enough torches on Sunday if your luck runs out (with limited 3 packs per day). Last week was really unlucky for me, it took 950 gems :frowning: (namely: 50+100 Mon-Sat, + 50 pack on Sunday) and I needed exactly ONE torch from that 50-gem pack on Sunday, just for the last boss fight. Most weeks 750 gems is just right.

If they have to invest over 1k weekly, they are not spending their gems wisely (investing a lot early in the week, not playing free torches that come later in the week) / they are wasting torches on dead ends.

ETA: this is not about the players being at fault for optimizing the gameplay. It’s about openly sharing that we have “unfair information” because we figured out something.

It’s crazy to me that people have not learned from dungeons.

It’s also crazy to me that we’re talking again about it being unfair to people not seeking extra information.

The game is not fair.

The meta teams aren’t shared ingame, and people not knowing them are at a severe disadvantage is another example.

Do we want to block certain teams so people who don’t invest as much time figuring things out or aren’t looking for extra help aren’t “punished”?

What about micro transactions? Not everyone has the same amount of money to spend. That’s not fair. So let’s ban micro transactions.

Maybe we should block all troops and weapons from being used that not every player has.

That’s how that sounds to me.

The reality is that there will always be players who are more invested and will try to figure out things and others won’t.

Changing things after they have been found out punishes the invested players and kills any interest just because some can’t be bothered to look for more information because they don’t care enough.

It’s not like it’s hard.

When I started in 2020, I had no trouble finding YouTube creators or this forum, or discord.

5 Likes

Like Kafka said, most people are also not on the forums to be able to find this info. So its entirely understandable if they do not have the knowledge you do and end up spending more gems. Are you tubers even sharing this info yet?

1 Like