[Reported] Pvp league promotion

You may be correct that that’s what happened. But it’s definitely the opposite of what they told us would happen. I am still cranky.

My league, and my friend’s league that I can’t see.
Just to prove I’m telling the truth. :grin:

Maybe I’m too naive for my own good, but it never even occurred to me that you would lie. <3

2 Likes

Sorry maybe you wouldn’t.

But this forum has a few disbelievers :grin:

2 Likes

What it does show is that , no matter what you can see, what position in your league you are, if your in a promotion spot in the other league you can’t see.

There’s a possibility you may get promoted.

1 Like

I agree that may be what’s happening here. But the other thing that occurred to me is that they just have the thresholds all messed up because they’re different from league to league.

Either way, though, I’m very cranky because it’s definitely not what they said would happen. They said your league was the one you can see that that you might or might not also appear in other people’s.

2 Likes

@TheTruth

This appears to be what happened to me. I assume I finished in 3rd place in the unseen league given the gold marks I received.

I actually have no issues with the promotion, because I just came here to clear up my confusion. Based on my initial understanding, I thought I was going to stay in Amethyst League.

1 Like

Or if you just make the last promotion slot, you may not get promoted because in the other league you’re not there.

Or if you’re just outside of relagation, you may still get relagated because in the other league, you’re further down.

The devs are looking into this at the moment.

I know it’s frustrating (we are frustrated by it too), but please remember to keep it civil.

4 Likes

Thanks Kafka. Apologies. I didn’t say anything I thought was over the line but your call.

1 Like

There was a fix, a few days in. but it made it worse for a lot of us. It went from 10 seconds lag to 90 seconds lag/timing out/whatever the heck it is, where it remains.

OK I think this is exactly what’s happened and explains why so many people got promoted and better rewards for finishing higher than their bucket table suggested they would.

I’m really not at all a fan of this bucket system of leagues. I have nothing better to suggest as I’ve not considered it enough, but I can see why it can very easily become very unfair for some players at random. There’s no issue getting your weekly rewards, but if finishing top 3 for gold rewards is something you want to chase, good luck if you get scooped up with a bunch of pee-bottle-poop-sockers who will have your weekly effort beat in a day. It might work more fairly in other games where PvP restricts your daily efforts, but here where you can do as much as you like without penalty it’s going to put massive pressure on some to aim for the one thing they can target to progress - books.

At this point it feels like a 1-man guild wars would be better, and that would be awful - being locked in a room of 30 all week, only ever seeing them but knowing exactly where you stood for the rest of the week ahead.

1 Like

Not half as frustrating as being physically unable to reach any better positions, because every fight needs a minute of loading.

1. Fix the lag

2. Create fair scoring mechanics

3. Start working on the rest

PRI-O-RI-TIES!

9 Likes

The lag and the PVP league rankings/promotion and demotion are already actively assigned to programmers right now as their top priorities.

9 Likes

I’m actually now finding the lag has infected Explore too. The game now has nowhere to hide from the load lag…

1 Like

Bug still present with this weeks reset. I finished 7th in topaz (5 promotion spots) and was ranked 2nd and promoted to ruby.
I’m not going to complain too much about it this time, but it is quite confusing.

Could it be, because the respective higher league has no players in it, so its unpossessed demotion spots count on top of the promotion of the league below?

1 Like

I finished 9th or 10th in Amethyst, got promoted to Topaz anyway. The same thing happened this week to at least one fellow guild member, and last week to at least two guild members (I’m not sure which leagues, in any case).

The devs did say in the patch notes that in the early days/weeks the players will be seeded into the leagues - so likely there are more “bubbles” designed than players that can go up for now, and the game likely pulls lower spots up too.

1 Like

My 2 cents, I was even lower in Amethyst, at least 15th or below, and was also promoted to topaz this week. So if it is related to demotion slots, how many are there? It seems like they’re just pulling everyone up who played even a little bit

Like JTS said, it seems like they’re promoting everyone who was in the promotion zone of any bucket, not just their own. You have your own individual group of 30, but everyone in that 30, including yourself, has a chance of being in many more such buckets of other players. So JTS’s theory: You were 15th in the group of 30 you saw, but in someone’s group of 30 you were promotion material and the backend check didn’t look at each bucket for the promotion of only the bucket owner, but every player involved. So if you were in 300 buckets, you had 300 chances of being in the promotion zone of any one of them and promoted if so, not just your own bucket, and you would be rewarded accordingly. this is just a theory, but the best one so far that explains all the oddness around unexpected rewards and promotions. It could also be preventing masses of demotions of people that actually play and don’t sit on zero, so if it is working this way the top end leagues are going to be more populous than expected.

1 Like

this bug has been fixed :laughing:

2 Likes

No, it hasn’t – I was in the relegation zone for my bracket, at over 7500 points (so I did play) and I did not change leagues.

1 Like