Player retention should be prioritized over monetization

Started this thread per Kafka’s request to have the Gem Dragon Egg and Cosmic Dragon Egg be in a separate thread than the one the matter was brought up on.

I cannot emphasize enough how demoralizing it is to spend resources and time just to pull the metaphorical slot machine rod and receive a duplicate dragon.

I have all 12 dragons that can only be found in Dragon Eggs so this isn’t coming from a source of envy. It’s coming from a source of love for the game and the wish that more would be done to retain the player base it has and less prioritization on monetization.

Shrinkflation is a global issue that shouldn’t exist in the video game world as well.

23 Likes

This is the only match 3 that doesnt limit your play in someway. Aside from guild events etc. Its got a lot going for it and would be easy to course correct.

The gem/cosmic dragon duplicate dragons however…is blatant monetization wanting people to spend gems on dragonite as long as possible

7 Likes

You aren’t charged up front to play this game. As @Sylwani points out above me, there aren’t artificial “energy” limits placed on how much you can play. (You’re restricted from “unlimited play” in certain modes, but you can always start certain modes.) You can actually do pretty well for yourself in this title as a completely F2P player if you’re willing to put in the time and effort instead.

So if the developers don’t keep some level of “monetization” in the front of their mind and work around that, how else should they pay for the game? For all the players who don’t pay anything, whether casual or active? For the servers? For their programmers and their office teams and all that stuff?

7 Likes

The dragon eggs are downright blatant though

5 Likes

Stop spending money on the game. There was a very good offer i would have ordinarily grabbed today but due to thier greed and rng that they pass off as “fun” ( sentinels especially) i won’t buy the offers or kingdom passes anymore. It’s a shame as the game has a a lot going for it and i enjoy being part of a guild but it’s slowly being killed off by bad decisions and greed

8 Likes

Nobody said anything about no monetization. But if there’s no player base there’s also no money to be made.

Good offers and less frustration is what usually keeps me buying things.

I don’t buy stuff out of frustration.

My other game for example is currently running a campaign. Campaigns are free, but if you want the last reward, you need to spend 800 gold (the premium currency there).

Now what did they do? They offered 400 gold for $1, in stock twice.
Personally I don’t need it but it’s a low price that most people are likely to be able to afford so I am sure that offer was bought by a lot of players. And that way everyone can get a great weapon and the publishers make good money.

(Fixed the typos. :sweat_smile:)

6 Likes

To piggy back this since it’s seems my post has been skewered towards anti-capitalism.

I have been playing Gems Of War for 8 years now. And I would say I have been stuck at this vip level for at least 5 years.

I have been and will always be more happy to support the game if equal time is spent improving the game as time is spent making money off the game.

Gems of War wasn’t initially designed to make millions of dollars a year. But because it did, it has since been expected to make millions of dollars a year at more of a cost than just financially for players.

Free to play games that are successful have you spend time or money to receive enjoyment from the game. Gems of War as of 2024 expects you to invest a large amount of time even if you invest a large amount money to be successful. And that basic principle is where I feel like this game has lost its way.

Why buy Dragonite if there is no guarantee you won’t just get a duplicate troop?

The code clearly exists.

They just don’t want to implement duplicate protection into the code for Dragon Eggs. But rather than just admitting they don’t want to do it. They make an excuse that they are working on other stuff instead to benefit players. That’s my bone of contention.

18 Likes

Yup. At least say “its intended” instead of flat out LYING. Dont give me this “other things are more pressing” bs. Over a year since they said they were looking at it. Thats not “more pressing matters” thats “we have no intention of doing it but say something to placate them.” I can deal with greedy devs. Dishonesty makes it worse

2 Likes

You can always go and make your own company following stated idea(s) to compete and beat the shit out of these rookies. We’re waiting.

1 Like

Or the devs can not lie? Just tell us “we want duplicate dragons there to gate the most powerful troop” and move on. I would be fine with that.

You don’t have to be better at something to be able to criticize it.

3 Likes

Sure thing, neither would any business care about random clients telling them what to do.

Meanwhile all the players that have asked about the ToD scouting mechanic modification for the last 3-4 years be like:

3 Likes

So you are defending dupe dragons gating stellarix?

Also mobile games die if the company ticks its customers off.

2 Likes

I assure you. You would be correct to describe me as that for 99.99% of the other video games I’ve played before. And to 505 Games I’m probably a random client. But to Infinity Plus 2, I’m the opposite of random.

Recently Kafka made a big drive for player feedback. So I, and others, are now providing feedback that we felt for months was just a waste of time to provide.

By all means you can criticize or push back against that feedback. I’ve personally just been playing long enough that I know saying nothing makes things worse. And saying something at least gives things a chance to change. Even if it is a small one.

9 Likes

Well they can keep ignoring what their players say. They wont have a game eventually

4 Likes

You may think telling a business “You know, keeping your customers should be a top priority” is lame - it kind of is if you’re having to tell a business that because this should be obvious, should it not?

1 Like

Don’t blame you mate the devs clearly have no intention of listening to player feedback just ignore you or string you along. Another player gone when will they listen to the players?

6 Likes

Y’all gonna hate me

Absurdly lucky and…

Only 2 dupes. 3,300 dragonite from stellarix. The end is in sight :slight_smile:
I still 1000% agree that we need dupe protection

5 Likes

Don’t hate the player. Hate the game.

In this case, not the whole game. Just some parts like the dragon roulette.

2 Likes