Petition to change Forest Guardian's 3rd Trait

We need more variety, but I don’t think the answer is to nerf every team/troop that CPU can beat humans with. I think the devs should rather focus on all the useless troops that this game has, rise them quite a bit. Especially look at the Dwarves, Orcs, Elves, Giants. I know some is in the plans to give love to, but it takes ages for us to wait. It looks for me like the most challenging thing in this game for the Devs is to rework troops, and that is fine.

3 Likes

Here is the EASIEST FIX!

You can only Devour 1 troop on the enemy side per match. (After you devour 1 troop, all troops with devour will no longer devour - Basically like MAW ability but side effects are it affects all devours)

Um… that might be a bit extreme. They need to be neutered, not euthanized…

@beanie42 We now have a group of Beta testers, most of them is good experienced players.
This is atm a group that is testing the Unity GoW version for bugs. Great idea.

Now, I finally see a future where the very same test group, can help the Devs with balancing troops, and get a generally higher chance to influence the Devs when it comes to reworking troops. I know that the beta testers was not invested in because of troops and reworks around it, but the devs should consider this by all cost in the entire world.

What can the results be? The results can be more precise, better reworks more reworks. Also if the testers in the future takes care of reworks/balancing, the Devs get more time to prepare other things for us.

So basically what I am saying is: Keep these testers, those will do a lot more good, than harm. Especially when it comes to reworking/balacing troops.

1 Like

Beanie,

It would change the deck building and stacking multiple devours would become pointless, it doesnt kill devour, it just makes it less of the go to strategy.

Not alone I’m actually going to agree with you this time. I fought 2 Kerb/GS/FG/Kerb teams today in GW that were untraited and it was too easy. I find the biggest problem with this team is Kerberos and his 90% devour rate. Even fully traited it isn’t too hard in GW I just use drainers, impervious and stealthy troops.

My only problem with that team is that it is everywhere and it’s getting boring fighting it all the time. Today for GW my first 3 battles were Kerb/GS/FG/Kerb and my forrth was Death Knight/GS/FG/Kerb.

4 Likes

(Not quoting everyone who replied to me as this is a general answer)

Kerberos would still be played as a niche pick. Remember that when his spell got reworked, his trait was also reworked.
I’m pretty sure I’d still use it in both my brown and purple deck for that.

Now, I don’t have problem with Kerberos the way it is now, but he does have very high devour chances + the best summoning trait in game. And devour is a side effect of its spell.
So, yeah, if his spell was only devouring and he had a less obnoxious third trait, then 50% at 16 mana would be legit.

That’s for Kerberos being the problem, now let’s review Forest Guardian to show he isn’t the problem.

Third traits gives fast to all beast?
Nobody complains about mechanists or titan classes but they do the same, they just target other allies.
So the combination of Forest Guardian and one of his ally is the problem, unless you consider Forest Guardian’s own spell to be a problem too.

Anyway, if you want Forest Guardian’s 3rd trait to be nerfed, you’ll have to do that to mechanist and titan classes too, because it’s a matter of time before a card that’ll be able to combo well with them comes out.

2 Likes

Give me any defense that can only use it’s spell once, whether it’s devour, or Famine’s drain, or any other spell, and players will have less of a challenge than now. You’re right that it would change strategy, it would make it far less relevant.

Like I said before, entering a battle against Kerberos/FG without using a fast team ourselves nor any impervious troops is like asking for a lose. We know how extremely fast this team is. It have happened in GW that I have even not gone full color of the day teams, because I wanted an entire Impervious team against them. I rarly lose against them if I use my Wulfgarok team or Behemoth Impervious teams. Its even fun to be up against them when I know by 100% that they cant devour me. :smiley: :wink:

1 Like

You must love the insta-gib mechanics. I feel “strategy” is less of the insta-gib and more of the back and forth planning of the board.

What limiting devour to once per battle on enemy team would do is make people only take a single MAW, or single kerb, but none of this multiple kerb’s empowered and devour all 4 of my troops.

The most frustrating thing in this game is when 2 or more of my team gets devoured because of a lucky sky drop.When this happens in GW its especially frustrating. PvP - I can just skip these teams, but GW I have to endure the punishment and that pushes me closer and closer to quitting every time it happens.

I do not feel Devour is a good spell/trait/mechanic for the game, I believe it should be removed entirely. However I would agree to compromise on the once per battle.

3 Likes

No, quite the opposite. I would be far happier if they were removed, or dropped back down to previous/lower percentages.

As mentioned, I can agree with this. Removing it, or reducing it’s percent would be my preference. I just don’t like the “spell only works once” option, for reasons mentioned earlier.

I use very few impervious troops and have no problem against them.
Most impervious troops have terrible kits.

I prefer to bait the AI into loosing turns to dumb moves by playing around other traits, or controlling who the AI will try to eat by pumping the devour immune or expendable troop.

So far it as worked well for me. I did a perfect score of 37800 on the last two weeks of war. Now that I figured out a couple different decks for every color to counter more or less everything I could find in the current meta, it’s easier. Just got to be a lot more careful than I usually am.

What is Kerb got the Kraken traitement? Kraken is easier to deal with because you need 1 immune Troop at bottom.
What is Kerb spell was “50% chance to Devour the first troop?”
The damage and summoning still makes it strong

1 Like

In MtG (and probably in other tcgs too) there is a part of the deck called “sideboard”, some cards you can use to adapt your deck to certain matchups in the second and third games of a tournament. Well, there are some decks virtually impossible to defeat without sideboard, but those same decks crumble just by using a couple of very specific cards from the “side”.

This is the case of kerb/FG.

Just have your Scarlett/Scarlett/Elspeth/DK with red weapon team ready to select before the battle, and in a few weeks nobody will be using kerb/FG again.

So please, don’t touch minigroot’s third trait. Just play around it :wink:

1 Like

I’d rather see Devour just be gone - I don’t like it as an ability, and would be happy to give it up from my Offense decks if I could never see it again on Defense. I get why some might like it, but it’s just not for me.

2 Likes

You are allowed to not like Devour. :wink:
But also allowing not liking it doesn’t mean that it needs to go away.
I like tons of games, but I also dislike something in all of those.
As long as it is not game breaking.

Possibly you mean Devour is game breaking for you?

1 Like

Sure - I mean, I’m just saying that were it put up to a vote, I’d vote to remove it. I’ll still play if it’s around, and I hope it’s tweaked in some fashion, especially Kerberos, but in balance, if the devs were to ask me “Well, what do YOU think we should do?” I’d quickly say “kill it, just replace it with something else” and I know that might be just me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am on the quite other side of the boat, I love Devour. I hate to be devoured tho. :wink: I love to have an option to build teams around it. :wink:

This comment is right on the money. Scouting is a thing, and there is a reason we are given so many different team slots. Build a team to combat the Kerberos devour-cheese, it isn’t that hard. Impervious is a thing.