NOBODY TELL THE DEVS! (Let them fix bad bugs first)

OK, I’m seeing a lot of posts popping up with “I found a bug in the game that benefits me and thought I’d post it here”. And it’s annoying as hell. Partly because the game is designed to exploit players and cash-grab, so occasionally getting some benefit we shouldn’t have just tips the scales back in our favour a little. But more than that, because any bug that benefits players always seems to get priority meaning that the many bugs that harm players get pushed down the list when players report a bug that benefits players. I’m sure devs will deny it, but it’s obvious it happens, over and over.
So if you find a bug that benefits you, keep it to yourself. And if you feel bad about that, remember that if they actually played their own game, they’d find those beneficial bugs themselves. And if they properly playtested (and took playtest feedback on board) the bugs wouldn’t make it into the game in the first place. And if they fixed all the bad bugs when we point them out, then it would be more reasonable to let them fix the good ones too, but they don’t.
It’s like the free dragonite glitch many of us know about (and no, I’m not saying how that works, you can figure it out for yourselves AND KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES), which only works because the devs STILL haven’t fixed a bug that’s been reported here multiple times. If they fixed the bad bugs, players wouldn’t be able to keep getting free dragonite all the time so they only have themselves to blame. Fix the bad bug and the good glitch would stop.
So yeah, just stop telling them about the good ones until the bad ones are gone. If we do that, the quality of the games will improve faster, I guarantee it.

13 Likes

EVERY bug has the potential to benefit players, if only by harming other players worse.
This is not a game with a goal in mind, but a permanent artificial race against each other. So anything that helps everybody, helps nobody.

2 Likes

100% agree. I just don’t understand these people that feel the need to report these things that make the game better for the player. Now if only I knew what this dragonite thing is you speak of…

2 Likes

Image of Want me. Love me. Shower me with kisses. This is why people report things like this.

5 Likes

A bug is a bug is a bug, whether it benefits me or not. I’ll continue to report every bug I come across, even if it helps me in the game.

9 Likes

So you’re asking ppl not to tell while you tell? I’m confused.

1 Like

I disagree. Each person is coming to the game with a different set of ethics.

Not really. Only the global leaderboards work like this. Stuff like gaining resources and unlocking new troops isn’t affected by how much other players are harmed.

I understand wanting to make the game better, but not until bugs that make the game worse for players have been fixed. After that, if they want to point out beneficial bugs, I’d understand.

And I admire your commitment. I just wish you’d wait for the bugs that harm you to get focused on before you highlight the ones that help you. If the devs knew that to find out about the bugs that help players, then need to focus on fixing the bugs that harm them, they’d try harder to fix those bugs first.
It’s pretty frustrating watching someone point out a bug that helps players and a fix being rolled out in hardly any time (like hours sometimes), when bugs that ruin the game for players (like getting banned by mistake or being unable to play certain modes) can be ignored for long periods of time (weeks or more) and some bad stuff never seems to get fixed, no matter how much people point it out.

Ah, someone else who uses the bug, I’m betting. Don’t worry, I’m not gonna say how my example works, and I’m guessing if the devs haven’t fixed the bad bug it relies on after it’s been pointed out to them, they won’t fix it now. On the other hand, if they do fix bugs that we’ve pointed out, at least there will be less bugs, so that’s good, even if not getting dragonite would be disappointing.

5 Likes

Let us use a very recent example:
In the new Pvp mode, defenses outside Central Spire are not saved. Instead, defending players are given a random assortment of troops.
This is a bug.
It makes attacks easier.
Easier attacks make it easier to reach the weekly goals.
Weekly goals earn ressources.

According to your logic, players should be discouraged to push for a fix.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. This also may make it harder to compete with other players.

But did sentinel fights always being low level, for example, really hurt anyone? Or was it really necessary to report the underspire bug that enabled players to use a weapon from another kingdom?

Changing these two things just made fights longer while only impacting a single player with no direct competition between them and others.

6 Likes

From all these years on the internet, I have long realized that trying to win an argument on the internet is no easier than proving the sun is orbiting the earth.

5 Likes

But think of the satisfaction when half a dozen people place a heart next to your version of the truth… you can’t buy that kind of validation.

1 Like

The problem in this example is that a glitch like this, if exploited enough, will have an impact on the game economy. So then, all of us mortal plebs that have no idea wtf you are even talking about, will have to deal with whatever the devs will have to do to make up for there being more dragonite in the game, than intended.

So a bug like this is not “helping the players.” It’s helping some players, ultimately at the expense of a larger group of players, which is really bad for the game.

4 Likes

I’ve been wondering for a few days should I even be sticking my head in this hornets’ nest?

So some say ooh, the bug benefits the players
Guess what? - I"m a players! I’m a generic player. I simply play the game and don’t spend my spare time looking for exploitable bugs that would get me ahead faster, therefore - I didn’t even know some dragonite bug exists until the kind topicstarter brought it up along with generous ha-ha! sucks to be you! I won’t tell!
So, would someone explain in baby steps - for, obviously, I’m a clueless idiot - how the existence of this exploitable bug and you specifically exploiting it benefits “the players”, e.g. me?

Maybe you can convincingly show it’s for the better good. I hope you can because otherwise it looks squarely like I have an unfair advantage and want to keep it kind of situation.
I despised that sort of people already back when I was twelve and kids with more generous pocket money than mine bragged after every field trip about how much stuff they had managed to shoplift and my attitude hasn’t changed decades later.

10 Likes

Pretty sure the devs don’t alter the game’s economy based on some players having large amounts of some currency, especially since they constantly add new currencies to make the old ones obsolete anyway. But if they did alter the game’s economy, the fact that a bunch of players got banned for having too much gold would mean gold should suddenly become really difficult to get, and there’s no sign that this has happened or is likely to happen soon.
In a fixed economy, with no new currencies being added and limits being placed to stop players getting high quantities, which affect others, I’d agree, but that isn’t what we’re dealing with.

That’s a reasonable question, but one that’s difficult to answer without going into details about the glitch. So, consider instead a hypothetical. Imagine there’s a shop, where you can buy snacks (non-essential but enjoyable food). A shopper discovers that the shop has a website with a coupon available, which should be one per person but they realise that due to an issue on the website they can actually use that coupon every day, instead of only once. If the shop realised they would probably fix the website, and the shop has been told that the website needs fixing, but refused to do so, not knowing about the coupon.
Now, anyone can go on that website and use that coupon multiple times, but unless someone tells them about the website, they probably won’t bother. So, that coupon can help any shopper, but most shoppers ignore it (or use it once and forget about it). Sure, it isn’t helping all shoppers but it is helping some shoppers. And it’s helping any shopper who stumbles onto it, on a website that is available to all.
So someone mentioning that the coupons exist isn’t a “sucks to be you”, so much as a “this thing exists if you want to search for it, but if you find it and tell the shop they’ll fix the website”.

We all know there’s some stuff in the game that is unfair, like the dungeons having an algorithm that punishes some players for opening doors in certain ways. Sure the devs made it more random, but a lot of players were harmed by that bug (or dodgy design, but whatever). That fix required massive amounts of community work and wasn’t fixed for some time. On the other hand, a player mentioned the underspire sentinels being locked at low levels, and that got fixed way more quickly. And that kind of “bug” (we don’t know if it was a bug or specific design) was beneficial to add players as it made it quicker and easier to beat sentinel battles, and made it very difficult to lose meaning a higher chance of getting the rewards from the chests. And that’s a better example of the kind of bug that benefits all players, which players should either not mention at all, or only mention if bugs that hard players are getting the main focus or have already been dealt with.
And there’s tons of examples of these kind of bugs/glitches/issues. So it’s not like I’m pointing to one specific thing. I’m pointing out a pattern and saying we should be aware of this pattern and stop playing into it.

If that was the case, I wouldn’t mention it.

1 Like

Dungeon biased doors…wasn’t the loudest sound when they fixed it - idiot devs took away our advantage over players not in the know! - and not much else?

Well, you’re teasing, dropping hints that you posess of a way to gain unfair advantage over those not in the know and game they system in order to, let’s say, threaten the devs.
You’re not exactly offering to tell everybody and eliminate this advantage you’re enjoying. On the contrary, I’d say, you imply - find out yourselves, if you can, I’m not gonna help you.
Don’t worry. I won’t be trying to find out what the way is. Sure, it’ll take me longer and more gems to get all the dragonite stuff, but, at least, I won’t be a (somewhat “legal”) cheater, in my book.

So, yeah, nothing unexpected or surprising. It was a nice try, though.

Oh, about sentinel rooms - poor example. If you can get to them, you have no problems beating them; if you can’t get to them, you don’t care whether they’re level ten or the level of surrounding rooms (personal experience from minimally developed and played account). All the change did was made the battle longer which I’d classify as rather inconsequential.

9 Likes

Sure, but that is also why it would not have hurt anyone - including the company - to leave it as it was.

3 Likes

You’re correct on that one.

I get not wanting the devs to fix something that benefits players - but only hinting at something existing and not helping anyone is either

A) totally selfish
or
B) means no such bug exists

It’s their job to know about the bugs, not ours.

1 Like