New Hero Class: Doomsayer

I requested that the type give 50% Mana. That means other troops as well. Tidecaller is just 50% for it’s self.
Diabolist is way more useful than Doomsayer. If you can’t see then you can’t any see any of my points.
Sorcerer is better due to the Shadow tree. So yes Doomsayer is definitely the worst of the three.
Oracle is the worst class in the game. You’re correct.
Doomsayer is now the second worst. Knight being the third worst.

I doubt people pay attention to it. Nor bother to keep track. Let’s be optimistic. Let’s say 50% of the time the explosion works in your favor. If that’s the case then it’s basically worthless.

How?

the terrible summon 3rd trait?

the pointless Jinx trait which in theory should be good, but in reality people have so much gem mastery that it only knocks a person down from 66-67% to 59%?

Fireblade? you mean a class that doesn’t support Fireblade in any way but has it? If I’m going to use Fireblade, I’d go for any other Fireblade class.

Fireproof?

Firestarter?

Firebringer. must be the bonus Red Mana from Red Gem matches that makes it better.

Maybe I’m wrong. It could be Gift of Fire. 1 Magic to All Red Allies could matter

Monk and Tidecaller (and at least one other) have the same and more.
I base my classes on how useful they are for team builds. Seems like a simple enough metric.

Where would you rank Doomsayer compared to all the classes? If it’s #31 out of 34. Then are you really arguing over a couple spots?

Its a middle of the pack class that has the best (loosely) consistent easily reappliable chance to apply Death Mark which is a new playstyle, albeit not a fan favorite due to the slower nature of Death Marks actually killing things. However, something like the weapon Life & Death applies Death Marks too and occasionally that griefs people.

In the days where Orbweaver Life & Death is popular, it can cleanse itself of Web and Death Mark. In general, Purification is a safe talent to have around, especially in an extra turn heavy class such as this one. Yes, Monk does it better. Yes, Tidecaller does it better. Yes, maybe even Heirophant does Purification better. Still, its a skill that works regardless of position on a team.

Fireblade forces the hero to be upfront (and have burn from other sources). So not every class Fireblade is going to be amazing since not every class supports a front line troop. I wouldn’t ever recommend Warlord or Diabolist as Fireblade classes to consider.

This class has a chance to be used as a non-first slot troop for scaling content as it can Death Mark to get some cheap kills in that otherwise may not have been as easy to get kills. Not saying people will, but it can.

What classes would I run this over?

Barbarian, Deathknight, Diabolist, Knight, Oracle, Mechanist (unless I was running a Mech team), Priest (unless I really need yellow mana), Shaman (unless I’m using Tauros), Slayer (unless I need it in first slot), Sorcerer (which I’d use a different class for the Shadow tree), Warden, Warlord, Warpriest

and then there’s other situational times where it may do a job better than a class that appears to have a stronger kit.

I could probably run Doomsayer over Heirophant if Heirophant isn’t in the first slot.
I’m more likely to run Doomsayer over Runepriest even though Runepriest has a better set of talents.
I’m more likely to run Doomsayer over Necromancer as if I’m going to use a half-mana start Shadow class, I may as well use Thief in most situations.

Yeah, I’d say that’s middle of the pack alright.

1 Like

This new class is great! The explosion to start the battle combined with the ice storm to start often leave me with lots of mana and extra moves! The death mark trait is kinda weak on offense but on defense, whoa! Look out! Thanks devs for another good hero class!

Better than Doomsayer because random positive traits are more beneficial than random Death marks. Fire talent tree and unique Fey class I believe (didn’t bother to verify.)

Then why would you? Lol
Possible 50% Mana start and barrier.

Thief is the second best class in the game. So though I agree. Can’t really use it against Necromancer. But if I was running an Undead team… I’m picking Necromancer over Thief in that super special case.

But when it comes to Doomsayer…I’m personally picking 32 classes before it.
You are picking 16 classes before it. Fair enough. You don’t have to see it as bad. You see it as “Okay”.
Feel free to DM any future builds that you create that you feel the build is best served by Doomsayer. Until Daemons get a 50% buff to Mana starts. (If it ever happens) I’ll keep making great builds without Doomsayer.

You have a 4-some to start in 50% of your matches? Wow, I wish I had your rng. If I was to guess I would say for me it’s about 25%. So that means 75% of the time the explosion gives me mana with no downside PLUS (especially with a storm) there is a chance of creating one whether there was a starting 4-some or not.

So long story short, explosion works in our favor way more than 50% of the time.

2 Likes

If I kept track… Then probably yeah. At least as often as Explosion interrupts them. Without actual statistics.
It’s basically hearsay.
How others can tell me what my eyes see is wrong based on what they see always confuses me. Yet… If that didn’t happen…I imagine forums like this would be even less active.

Don’t forget about Frostmage for Fey classes

Also a random positive trait that only has a chance to trigger at the beginning of a turn and might give you unhelpful things like enrage to the last slot troop or enchant to a full mana ally is actually not something I’d rate higher than death marks that the player can trigger on command. I just can’t. Too much RNG involved in Heirophant’s trait. Divinia would make for a fairer comparison… but that’s a troop.

What happens if you’re not running a burning source? What does Fireblade do when not in the first slot? There are times where the Fire tree won’t be relevant at all. Fireblade is awesome, but its not always applicable.

I’m not wasting a slot for King Highforge and while Barrier on Brown is nice, if I’m not using a brown oriented team, it doesn’t occur. If I’m using a brown team, I’m going Monk or Titan anyways.

Runepriest doesn’t have interesting traits, and I can easily do more unique things with Doomsayer.

With the Anu medal, I find I don’t really care as much that I don’t have 50% mana starts for many of the classes. Sunspear with the Anu medal is already good enough and there’s no 50% mana start to Rakshas. It still sees a lot of play.

At the end of the day, you make what you want to make. That’s part of the fun of Gems of War. Its not my job to tell you how to play. All I can say is Doomsayer has a unique gimmick for a hero class (even if not popular), and has a solid enough kit where it isn’t in the worst classes of the game that don’t have anything special going for it.

I can only suggest remembering that many of the troops and classes in the game are situational and to keep an open mind on opportunities.

I :100:% agree… I’m always looking for the fastest and most reliable teams. And I just don’t see it with Doomsayer. You have to get super lucky to have death mark kick in and then have it actually kill a troop.
If it was 50% instead of 25% then I’d totally agree with you. Middle of the pack unique class. But 25% is way too low to make it interesting at all.

Its doomed to the bottom of the class list, I dare say … see what I did there?

2 Likes

Hey guys! I have an idea for a brand new weapon! Its a scythe, its purple, deals damage to all enemies and wait for it…converts yellow gems to DOOMSKULLS!!!

I bet you could not even comprehend such an amazing weapon before I came up with it

3 Likes

So proud of ralphie may. I hear he just hit his goal weight.

The class would actually not be that bad if reapplying Deathmark did not reset its one turn grace period. For those unaware, DM cannot kill on the turn after it is applied and reapplying it will reset this.

In the current state, a trait that applied DM to all enemies every turn would actually never trigger DM, ironically. DM is super inconsistent and there are no meta DM troops so I personally advocate for the DM grace period being removed, but this absolutely needs to be removed from reapplications.

People complain about this all time, but it’s bunk. Explosions at start of battle will give more starting mana on average even if you lose what would otherwise be a match 4 sometimes. The starting board cannot complete any matches for you, but an explosion destroys nine gems and then can start a cascade after that and you could have match 4s after that.

4 Likes

awryan has historically been against the explosion at the start of the match, I seem to remember some thread where I spent a long time doing math about it and reasoned it is pretty likely if the board starts with a 4-match that an explosion will disrupt it. But I don’t even want to touch the math for “How many starting boards have a 4-match, and how many of those lead to more mana than an explosion?”

Suffice to say it’s a very hard thing to prove, but I know I enjoy events with explosion potions a lot more than when I don’t have them, and if it was really a detriment I don’t think that’d be the case. But I can’t back that up with data, neither can AWR.

But I get why he doesn’t like it. It removes some of his feeling of control from the match. If we win, we tend to attribute it to our skill. When we lose, we like to blame randomness. But the randomness contributes to both!

I thought Death used to do double skull dmg vs marked enemies, but maybe I was just counfusing him with Plague and diseased. I don’t even know if there are troops that do x2 or x3 dmg vs marked enemies, or if that would be sufficient to rank this class higher.

I doubt tho that if I came on here claiming that this class isn’t an Orc, and therefore I’m rating it 31 out of 34 due to spite, I’d get all the useful Intel about which classes to use when. Much obliged, I’ve bookmarked it for future reference. For the Horde.

It did lol. Good memory. Are you sure you’re an Orc? Work complete?

The following troops still have 2x damage vs Death Mark: “Doom” trait (looked up via in-game filter):

Mad Prophet, Penitent, Sand Shark, Twisted Hero

Its a strange group.

3 Likes

I totally get why Sandshark would and Death wouldn’t…strange indeed.

Dabu. :axe::rage::shield:

2 Likes