Nerf Ubastet - he is overpowered

I crunched some numbers yesterday and surprised myself. I don’t have the exact digits around, but let’s talk about what Ubastet can really do. I think a “problem” here is there’s no way to really understand what players at different levels are facing.

For simplicity, I treated Ubastet as an “above average” mythic troop and considered how it performs vs. a mirrored team with troops that have about 10% of its stats. This made the math easier for me and meant I didn’t have to look up a lot of different numbers.

So first I considered a newbie with no real guild bonuses, no leveled kingdoms, etc. I think this is a dumb profile to consider but the guy on reddit was screaming this is where he’s facing nonstop Ubastets. At this level, a turn 1 Ubastet can double-kill anything that isn’t roughly its own power level: it survives itself with roughly 5 HP remaining. I agree Ubastet is broken at this level, but I sincerely doubt the players in this tier have Divines teams and that the matchmaking algorithm places them vs. each other.

At a higher “player has leveled all kingdoms” level, Ubastet is still dangerous. This adds 22 armor/HP to each troop and about 10-12 damage to Ubastet. It can one-shot fewer things, but the survivors still have less than 15-20 HP so it’s a serious hit. If we assume it’s paired with practically any AoE troop I’d argue by turn 3 or 4 it’s a double kill for sure. Still, at this level, I do not think players with fully-powered Divine teams are common, nor do I think the matchmaker should be pitting players without one against them.

Once I accounted for guild bonuses and 5-star stats, things got more reasonable. Now 44 total armor/HP are added, but Ubastet’s damage is only up by about 23-25. The troops that survive a turn 1 hit tend to have 30-35 HP and might even be able to survive an Infernus followup. I feel like this is the level where Ubastet is “hard”, not “broken”. I also think this is the level where I’m not surprised players might have a Divines team and players without one will have to match them.

Then I considered my own teams with my stat bonuses. An early-game Ubastet hits me hard, but my weakest troops have enough HP left to also survive an Infernus cast. More realistically, the losing games go like this with the CPU getting lots of free turns:

• Ishbaala fills and casts, I take a couple of skull hits.
  • Infernus fills and casts, I take severe damage and at least 2 troops are in Ubastet kill range.
  • Ubastet fills and casts, taking out 2 of my troops.

This sometimes leaves me with “only” Infernus and Dawnbringer. I still win about 50% of the time.

Let’s get out of paragraph mode and make some bullet points for my opinions:

• Ubastet in the hands of a newbie is a Death Star. Without endgame stat bonuses and troops there is no hope.
  • Early midgamers also face a hopeless challenge.
  • Endgame teams with sufficient defense stats should be able to weather all but the worst-case Ubastet scenarios, but it is extremely dangerous.
  • Divines is a team that requires two mythics and a legendary, fully traited, to function at its base level.
  • That is “an endgame team”. Newbies or early midgamers should not be facing it frequently in PvP, and if they are it’s a matchmaking bug.

Ubastet’s attack scales a little bit faster than Atk/4. When you combine HP and Armor, the game scales bonuses more than 4x as high as it scales Atk. So the more stat bonuses you’ve accumulated from Kingdom Power and other sources, the more Ubastet shifts from “broken” to “dangerous”.

I don’t care about the newbie, early, and early midgame levels. I think if a player at those levels gets EITHER Infernus or Ubastet they’re going to slay everyone else at their level. Getting BOTH is extremely lucky. I don’t think players with that kind of luck should be PvP matches for people who didn’t.

I don’t care about the endgame level. I play at this level and I feel we have a different problem: there’s no reason NOT to use one of the 5 or 6 Divines configurations. They all play out a little differently but I don’t care. PvP is fast and grindy, and I only lose to Ubastet when it gets the Christmasland scenarios and kills my troops before I can cast Infernus the first time. I see it as a Time Attack and luck is a big factor.

I now care about the “late midgame level”. I think people at this level are very likely to have the full Divines team or be very close. There’s not a good reason for me to say people without it shouldn’t be matched vs. people with it at this level: people without likely have some other mythic/legendary team with similar team power. But due to how Ubastet’s offense scales, these players aren’t always powerful enough to brush off the first Ubastet hit.

If Ubastet is nerfed, I think the most appropriate change will be to adjust the Attack boost factor. Changing it to 6:1 or 8:1 might make it more fair, and I think at the endgame level it won’t have a severe impact on Ubastet’s utility.

Another consideration: as-is, Ubastet is EXACTLY the kind of troop that could warrant a “can only be cast once” limitation. Since it has a trait that self-buffs per turn, it still has utility even after the cast. The Great Maw is “cast only once” for “kill one troop”, I think it’s fine if we limit Ubastet, which is “Deal a lot of damage and conditionally kill one.”

I stress again: philosophically speaking *this is the impact I think a mythic troop should have". It’s a very exciting troop. I want the devs to make more troops close to this power level, not fewer. But overall, it is a problem that we can jam several of these onto a team when they synergize. Some day it might be a good idea to cap teams to 1 mythic. I think we need a few more varieties of Ubastet before that’s a great idea.

7 Likes

What annoys me the most about this new meta is that the devs didn’t foresee it. We already had an Infernus problem.
And they got that troop out?
With Ishbaala and the Divine protector, it’s the perfect storm.

Then again, looking at some new bonus that make no sense, like some tree-skills or useless weapon effect, It’s obvious that some part of the GoW team do NOT play the game, or even know it that well.

Sad and scary.

7 Likes

I second this we need variety not divine-evity… (Poor joke but you know what I mean… hopefully lol)

I think your numbers are a bit off. Ubastet basically gains 2x the average attack as bonus damage to his spell (8 troops’ attack/4:1 ratio). So the 10-12 attack gain by kingdoms effectively transfer to 20-24 bonus damage for him, not 10-12. Same goes for all other bonuses on attack obviously.
I encounter Ubastets in pvp quite regularly that leave my troops with single digit health left even if they were untouched before the Ubastet cast.

Edit: And just to clarify, i am not advocating for an Ubastet nerf. While i think he is a really silly troop that further washes down the gameplay this game used to offer, nerfing him alone, while the Devs keep the course will only delay things.
My concern is how more and more former cool and fun troops fall off and become unplayable and what the future holds. 'Cause you know the Devs have leaned into the powercreep hard for a long time now, and in the near future obviously troops will have to come up that will be even more ridiculous, just thinking of what comes after insta killing 2 troops…

Since starting on my PS4 i’ve came against meta teams 40% of the time and in all honesty this just makes me not want to play at all I obviously have no other means of gold attaining an obviously I kinda want to skip 'em but a gem a skip? No thanks.

Ubastat teams in pvp are so easy to beat. just be faster than the enemy team. use the right troops in the right combo. USE YOUR NOODLE lol

2 Likes

Divinia is your best friend against uba

1 Like

I’m going to run the numbers again just to make sure I’m right, I was relying on memory of numbers I didn’t feel like rerunning.

To start: Ubastet with no bonuses has 25 attack, 11 armor, 24 HP, and 7 magic. I can’t go about averaging the rest of the troops, but I’m going to say if we consider the other troops to be within 10% of that it represents everything but “very endgame” teams. Individual teams will definitely do better than this, I’m trying to keep it simple.

So I’m modeling the game like so: each team has an Ubastet and 3 troops with ~22 attack, ~10 armor, ~22 HP. So we have:

• 91 total attack per team.
  • 32-35 total “life” per troop.

In this scenario, Ubastet does [7 + 2] + [91 * 2 / 4] = 54.5 damage to each troop it hits. Seeing as the strongest troop we’re modeling has 35 total “life”, this is more than adequate for one-hit kill. So a hypothetical level 1 newbie facing Ubastet is toast. On average, a troop needs about 20 more HP to survive.

Let’s level all the kingdoms. That’s +10 armor, +12 HP, and +6 attack per troop. Ubastet gets +5 to its 7 Magic. So now the scale tilts:

• 115 total attack per team.
  • 54 total “life” per troop.

Now Ubastet does [12 + 2] + [115 * 2 / 4] = 71.5 damage. That still obliterates our level 200 newbie unfortunate enough to have faced it. It overkills by 17 HP this time.

OK, sure. Let’s add some really good guild bonuses. +3 attack per troop, +2 magic for Ubastet, +8 hp per troop, +8 armor per troop. Now:

• 127 total attack per team.
  • 70 total “life” per troop.

Now Ubastet hits for [14 + 2] + [127 * 2 / 4] = 79.5 damage. A trivial increase but joining a guild means now Ubastet only overkills by 9.5 HP.

Now let me consider an endgame team with endgame bonuses and stats. For reference, I’m going to use my own Ubastet team and assume a mirror match. This gives me:

• Attack: [36, 36, 45, 32] (149 per team, 298 total)
  • Armor/HP: [65/85, 77/79, 62/79, 78/94]
  • “Life”: [150, 156, 141, 172]
  • Ubastet’s magic: 22

So Ubastet’s going to hit for [22 + 2] + [298 / 4] = 98.5 damage. That’s just a little over 50% of each troop’s total life. In order for my opponent to score a double kill, they have to hit my weakest troop for at least 52 damage before Ubastet strikes. Infernus deals 36, so if my opponent gets lucky I can see that doing the job.

A determining factor here is team bonuses. I get +3 attack and +2 magic from bonuses, but I also get +17 HP and +27 life. So while Attack has increased by 24, that’s only worth 6 damage and is dwarfed by the life increase. When a 10% bonus kicks in as it does this week, we see that HP/Armor scale WAY faster per troop than Attack.

But that’s still more or less what I said. SOMEWHERE between early game and endgame Ubastet loses its ability to confidently double kill every troop without setup turns. It’s still extremely dangerous, that can’t be denied.

But what the numbers also reveal is while changing the boost factor to 6:1 or 8:1 is a dramatic relief for lower-level players, who can now reasonably survive a hit, it makes Ubastet disappointing for endgame players. 6:1 doesn’t even take some of my troops out of their armor, even without a 10% bonus. It’d still be a fantastic sniper, but “deal ~70 damage to 2 troops” requires me to hold it a lot more and won’t be useful in many clutch scenarios.

This is a “Dawnbringer in Arena” moment. The troop is excellent for everybody who has it on offense. For everyone but endgamers, it’s “an unstoppable menace” on defense. And the most reasonable defense hurts endgamers while helping everyone else.

It’s a real pickle.

I wouldn’t call unstoppable, but CLEARLY designed with an unending value because extra bonus from future kingdoms/weapon’s upgrades/pets/whatever on attack will always “doubles” as bonus for him… Anything designed in this sense (exploiting/preying on the progress/strenght of the enemy) is simply too powerfull no matter how you look at it. Specially in games with simple mechanics as GoW.

Yeah i wasn’t disagreeing with your premise of Ubastets impact decreasing the more you are advanced in the game/rack up stat bonuses. The margin of the decreases is just a bit lower than

suggests.
Anyways your endgame team is heavily stacked on defensive stats. I assume it is full Divine getting strong team bonuses on armor/health possibly with a x3 pet and/or something else i don’t know about that increases the defensive stats a bit more than my Divine team :frowning:
Keep in mind that many non Divine teams don’t have those strong defensive bonuses and enabling Ubastet is still as easy as doing a single skullmatch or single random damage from any cast.

Now if only there was a trooptype known for efficient hardhitting singletarget damage spells to enable Ubastet…

1 Like

I you want 100% win yes uba need a nerf but if you don’t mind losing sometime. then he is ok

Personally i like to come back from 2 vs 4 and find a way to win and same for the AI when i think it’s in the pocket it find a way to kill everyone, this make the game more impredictable and i really like it

I remember one fight i was stuck with just the hero alive and i can say ty to the summoning golem :slight_smile: i found the way to win

And another one with only infernus alive i took 4 troops down for a nice come back victory!!! That was EPIC!!!

1 Like

“doubles” is an overstatement. Any +1 ATK adds +4 to your teams ATK, which is then divided by 4 to become 1 point of damage. If you assume your opponent also has the bonus it’s +8 which divides to 2 more points of damage. In my “endgame stats” scenario, there’s plenty of room for 2 extra points of damage.

Also note that, currently, HP/Armor are represented in kingdoms nearly 4:1. So it’s likely for every new ATK kingdom we get, any one HP/Armor kingdom nullifies its effect. If we got a plethora of new kingdoms I think the net effect in endgame is Ubastet would get slightly weaker.

Easy to work around when “Ubs” is not the sole damage dealer in a team. The problem will never be simply a matter of dealing with him alone and discarding the variable of his allies.

The other suggestions to change the Divine type from him could work to keep his power mostly untouched, and building around him will require new compositions.

Only change i would make is attack 2 lowest troops and

• if nobody die, kill the weakest
  • if 1 of them die, it stay like it (no more double kills) it will prevent a troop with over 100 health to be kill

Of course if both troop are low health they can die at the same time

That sounds like a Zuul’goth-level guaranteed kill (plus a bunch of damage to a second troop). It would ignore web, barrier, multiple-entangles and any other conceivable status-based defense against Ubastet.

So you prefer 2 guarantee kill? Im fine with both version :slight_smile:

It already ignore the barrier if the weakest doesn’t have barrier

How can it ignore a barrier that isn’t there?

Anywway, my point was that no matter what, your version would be guaranteed to kill at least one troop. The current version might kill zero troops (but usually kills 2). The only other troop that is guaranteed to kill is Zuul and he is meant to be a special case.

I don’t really think that Ubastet is a problem in itself.

1 Like

This thread is going around in circles, divine ishbaala is the obvious issue.

1 Like

If 2nd weekest troop got barrier, it shouldn’t kill it since the barrier suppose to protect from devour or one shot kill (dracos)

Between you and me if the 2 weakest troop didn’t die, you know they only got 10 or 15 health left if you lucky, i would prefer see the 10-15 health troop die then the 100+ health cause uba got time to cast twice