Lycanthropy, the why and the moving forward

I thought the same - either we get the next major (5.6) veeeery soon after 5.5 or she means 5.5.5 (major?) which has maybe an earlier release chance.
All other alternatives would be a update which comes too late, after the campaign we dont realy need it anymore…

1 Like

Best first post I have ever seen on this forum.

Reposted in its entirety because I cannot like it a million times, and I want it read again by any devs perusing this thread.

It fairly and completely addresses lycanthropy from the “players in the know” perspective.

10 Likes

Any plans to do something for pure faction delves? At level 500 this really ups the difficulty of completion with a pure faction team to absurd levels.

3 Likes

Sorry if double-posting — still reading the thread — but wanted to take the time to say thanks for this.

Will always appreciate when feedback matters, and communication happens (I don’t mind things being out of the bag early, like, at all. Sooner is better, even if things change, as long as changes are explained).

But this will make it fine in-game, especially after the Campaign, when the random-on-the-board triggers won’t be a problem like they are now, because it will only be causable by a small number of troops and situations, all (mostly) avoidable if the player wants to.

6 Likes

Yay! Thank you!

Thank you for the words lycanthropes and lycanthroped. I wasnt sure if these are words, but now its official. Yesterday was painful avoiding the word transform :rofl:

Taken from the OP, this is awesome.

I am a concerned though given the bug reports labelled not a bug. For example, a few hours after this post, you marked this bug as not a bug:

Improving testing is awesome, but if bugs get treated as non bugs / QoL enhancements, then that improvement doesn’t include fixing bugs and there isn’t much change.

I hope the lycanthropy bugs are being prioritized so that the fixes are coming ASAP. I imagine fixing all the bugs takes time and even throwing all resources at it can’t fix it soon enough.

Part of me wants to suggest removing Lycanthropy from the game again until it is fixed, but that ship has sailed given the current campaign story. If this was possible to fix soon, it should, as the current campaign is so broken and needs addressing. But, being realistic, I dont see it happening.

4 Likes

I wish I had the, I dunno what you want to call it, strength/courage/gumption, to do that as well. I think the developers (and publishers) have the smallest of cares for what actual players want in their game. They just… aren’t interested, at all. They don’t play their own game and they don’t want to interact with players.

6 Likes

What?! No! Don’t encourage them with words that can’t be written or soon instead of lyca gems we’ll have lycantrophizers on the board :worried: :laughing:

2 Likes

Seems you’re giving them ideas. :wink:

My phone’s spellcheck now thinks theres three ways to spell lycanthropy by the way, and none of them are correct. :rofl:

1 Like

Well, won’t stop people from getting annoyed when their own troops get halved in level now. No idea how to put this nicely, but if you guys could stop designing game mechanics in 5 minutes on a napkin during lunch break, that’d be great.

The bug report spam whenever you introduce something new is tiring. Take the time to think the things you want to add to the game through. Try to imagine as many scenarios a new mechanic might be put through as you can - and then actually test your new mechanic under all these circumstances. Look at the forum. Seriously, look at it. 3/4 of the bug reports here are ‘Ooops, we didn’t think about that possibility’, ‘Ooops, we didn’t test that interaction’ type of issues that you could easily avoid if you spent the tiniest bit of extra time on testing and reflecting.

E: And stop claiming all the game’s shortcomings are ‘by design’, it’s condescending and extremely dishonest

25 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of them claiming that they never intended for lycanthropy to be completely negative. It’s almost like they completely made that up after realizing that it’s not actually a negative effect. “Oh we meant to do that” yeah ok…

16 Likes

I’m not a fan of this gem, because it has no value for the player. I don’t get the need for such mechanics…

Why add something that doesn’t have a fun factor, or boost collection mechanics in someway?

I’m not sure I understand the why of this addition, and I certainly don’t like changes that add nothing to my experience save frustration…

I’m sure it’s here to stay, but it definitely isn’t anything that’s made me love playing GOW more than I did before, unlike the guild events, or moving GW to once a month — those were good, decent changes that added things to my experience.

In fact, unlike some, I’d love GW removed all together… it’s just not my cup of tea, and no it’s not a ‘learn to play’ issue, my average score is usually above 53,000.

I’d place Lycanthropy above GW in things that don’t offer much more than head scratching and frustration…

4 Likes

Nooooo…

Nooooo….

Noooooo….

I cannot accept this decision, please rethink it!!!

As a big fan of yours it breaks my heart to hear you could be leaving, or are, or have… If this has transpired, it is a travesty in my opinion. You have been a big asset to the community, and I will severely miss you…

Ugh, please don’t go… Stay! (On my knees begging)…

:hugs::balloon::four_leaf_clover:

My kitty is even asking you to stay!

6 Likes

Thanks for the actual laugh. I’d vote to remove the lycanthropy gem in a heartbeat. Totally breaks high level content and flatlines teambuilding strategy and demotes the game to a praying session for not only minimizing skyskulls (frustrating enough on pure delves) but to now also include lycanthropy gems. The new troops that spam these gems need a rework. Proc chance need to be halved at the least.

5 Likes

Now that most fixes were promised, lets play with the words :slight_smile:

for the analogy of “pterify”
petrify → petrification → petrified

status effect name: lycanthropy
the “transformation” should be called: lycanthropication
if the effect triggered on a troop it got: lycanthropified
:smile:

This change has to be done with a client fix, not a server fix, which is why it will take more time to release. (Just letting you know why it can’t be done immediately.)

We didn’t consider the original valraven and gnome issues as bugs, but QoL issues as lycanthropy is different to transform in practice. We are changing this to bring it in line with transform, but as mentioned earlier that won’t happen until we can bundle the fix into a bigger update.

Please continue this discussion, but don’t treat each other unkindly. If this thread devolves into attacks and caused harm I will close it in line with our community guidelines.

8 Likes

Holy Yggdrasil, that is a nice cat.

9 Likes

@Denthegod you don’t share the pain of a new player account. I think you need to be respectful and not mock us. Imagine in WE, new players do not have the same stat as you. You can easily kill the opponents. New players take a lot of turns to kill, hence more chances to transform to a lycan.

3 Likes

I am sure all was said before but still leaving my 2 cent as feedback (the more the better, right?)

• Introducing the new gems in general is absolutely fine.
  • Lycanthropy as effect is liked by some by others not, but that is also fine.
  • Lycan Gems are horrible, at least in their current state. What positive effect do they have for the game experience?
  • Lycan Gems always trigger no matter if matched or destroyed or exploded, even when removed, there is no tactical decision involved, it’s just random rubbish. It should trigger only on matching gems.
  • Lycon Gems have no business in Delves and PvP imo especially that it was said that over the course of the campaign their drop rate will increase. I think you should prepare for lots of hate posts with the upcoming guild wars.
  • If it’s your goal to turn the game into a pure RNG monster where team building and decisions matter less and less, then please say so and I can quit the game.

Have a nice day everyone :slight_smile:
/edit: I know game developing/design is not as easy as some may think but lately (lately meaning the last year or so) it feels like stuff gets designed and just tested so far that it is technically working but you are not thinking about or testing it in regards to “is it actually fun?” or “how does it effect player experience?” or “how are different game modes affected? May it cause more trouble than bringing any good?”.

21 Likes

Holy poop, finally! This is great, very glad these changes are coming. Better late than never!

4 Likes

I hope a month will be enough for this.