Long distance relationship

that’s tough too, so close yet so far away. my dad had to do that too, of course it being the US it was 6 hours away…

I thought I’d add. I’m in sharing mood lol
I’m old, not quite Sirrian old but I do have a full head of hair. that I have colored to hide the greys lol

I met my love in the public chat of an online game soon after separating from my now ex wife 2 and a half years ago. she lives in eastern australia, I live in North eastern US. that’s over 10000 miles away. she first visited me 3 months after we met, and we’ve visited each other every six months since.
my last visit I proposed with a nice engagement ring and we are to be married in February Iof 2018.

so these things can and do work out in the end!

6 Likes

This has to be the greatest bit of fantasy I’ve read since Lord of the Rings, cheers. I would drop a dime, but I don’t see a slot anywhere here. -looks around- Alright i’ll just go.

Good luck with the marriage.

I admit I don’t come here often these days, but when did this forum become a relationship blog?

Now clearly it’s acceptable when 2 people meet over playing GemsofWar. Make it happen people.

This is precisely how I feel about my fiancé.

We’ve been living together for over 3 years and I couldn’t stand being apart.

My own short story goes as follows:

We met online through a dating website (we are both a bit socially awkward I’ll admit), and we were long distance (but in the same state) for two short months before I jumped ship and moved in with him. We had only met twice, but every time I went back it felt like a punch in the gut and I knew I just wanted to be with him. It was a huge risk of course but that instant connection… well I trusted my gut feeling and haven’t once regret it. We have been together happily ever since.

So, in short, long distance can work as long as you don’t plan on living long distance forever. In the short term it can be successful but I can’t imagine ever being apart from him again like that.

And I don’t see how two people across the country or world could make it work unless one was willing to uproot everything so you can be together.

But I do wish you luck! I hope it all works out for you

2 Likes

we are marrying after her son finishes school and goes to college, then her shoes and yarn move over to me. but you are right that long distance relationships can only end in two ways, heat break or happiness ever after. and I picked happiness.

2 Likes

well, off topic is off topic. guys and girls play games, so why not get together occasionally?

We met while playing minecraft, she was my guild leader. She said she wanted to try being in a relationship and asked me if we wanted to date, i was reluctant but iwas not going to put much stock in it. The rules for dating a stranger states that i should not care about the person in a loving manner until the 4th month, if we break-up my feelings are ok because it was a crush and the feelings die there. However after four months it seemed like she was going no where but up. All this time there was the simplification of romance code i had to follow so that i appeared interested in those 4 months. I was not about to sabotage something like this. After 4 months were done i moved onto the codex of love and its basics of rules. Basicly escalate what i am doing to the point where she gets scared off, if she does not and is able to accept that then i can deescalate back to my normal self. After 1 year plans for full life envelopment take place. This is where my feelings start to bloom so having to act normal is no longer necessary. Starting the life envelopment process is simple, plan to meet, plan a possible and likely future with her and so on and so forth. It is easy if you make templates for texting. I did not plan for us to do private and dirty things but hey we did. Life envelopment finishes at meeting, then at around year 2 or greater we move in together. Then i move onto seed and blossom. It is exactly like it sounds like.

1 Like

I don’t think this is so much relationship advise, as it is sharing a story (and relating to) a long distance relationship:) My husband and I met over IRC (Internet Relay Chat for those young enough to be my kids) in 96 in a help channels. He was in the UK, and i was in the US. He came out to visit me for a week, eventually coming out for a 3 month visit a year later, then moving permanently over in 98. We’ve been married 18 years after meeting on the internet, not having cell phones, and using dialup connections to talk to each other!!

3 Likes

That sounds like a whole lot of work :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t like to play around. I am who I am, and my partner can take it or leave it! Haha

I don’t have time for that. Neither does he. We fell hard and fell fast. It could have been a disaster. And I could have gotten hurt. But it all worked out and I never had to worry about whether I was coming on too quickly or wonder how that person felt… it was all right up front in the open. The best experience of my life.

But yeah to add on to my prior post, I only meant that if there are no plans to eventually move in together the only other option is really heartbreak. It’s a waste of time even getting into it with someone if you know right away that there’s no possibility of that. Of course not everyone is the same, so I’m sure there are some content to live apart forever. I’m just speaking about the average relationship

1 Like

It is a lot of work, i did something i think no one ever thought of, i asked her a bunch of questions, and then wrote down all the answers she gave…basicly i took notes. You would be surprised how much knowing someone’s color and favorite animal can be. My end goal is/was/and always will be to retire with someone. I made it to retirement, now i have to do it again with someone i love.[quote=“Mekkalyn, post:30, topic:15011”]
I’m just speaking about the average relationship
[/quote]

I never trust the average, especially if we go by media standards.

4 Likes

Not presently in a long distance relationship, but I still consider my story a successful one.

I met partner one over the internet, and we hit it off pretty well. Started doing the dating thing after a bit. Few weeks into that, I discovered “she” was a “he”, and hadn’t told me earlier out of fear of losing me, and wanted to say something sooner. Apologies were given, but this didn’t change my opinion. We stuck together.

A couple months later, we both decided that we needed to talk to eachother about something important. I thought he was going to propose. He thought I was going to propose.

We were both wrong. We were trying to tell eachother, at the same time, that we had started having feelings about someone else, but that we still loved eachother very much, and just wanted to be clear on this so that we could watch it and see how things were going.

Funny thing, it happened to be the same person. And we played around with the idea of trying things as a three way relationship for a while. A bit later, we decided to go for it.

The three of us were in a relationship for three years. Never got to see eachother in person, sadly, but I talked to both every day, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. It was hard, but we managed. One lived a state south of me (both of us are US, he’s in Pennsylvania) and the third lived all the way in Australia. I actually got her into GoW a few months ago, and we all still talk. They’re still in a relationship. I just ducked out for mental health reasons. I still consider both fairly good friends of mine and talk to them regularly.

3 Likes

wow. that’s quite a story.
but australia is worth a visit. beaches, kangaroos, and rainbow lorikeets!
my fiance is moving to me after our wedding, but eventually I’d like to try living there. vegemite is yummy on toast with butter.

1 Like

You forgot spiders, snakes, and worst of all… The drop bears. Australia scares me.

1 Like

australia is the scariest place on earth, but i would love to go for the kangaroo burgers, or just the exotic meats in general.

1 Like

I purposely forget the scary things. thanks for reminding me lol
but the gold coast brisbane area is awesome. Google currumbin wild life refuge. I love it there and miss my kanga and lorikeets friends. koalas are nice too, very photogenic.

Don’t eat skippy

skippy was the aussie equivalent of Lassie. not sure if their timmie fell down wells…

1 Like

it’s well worth the money and effort to meet a long distance flame you met. I can’t promise it will work out at the end, but you won’t regret the meeting.

for me it’s about $1500 and 30 hours travel time. worth every penny and minute. don’t live to regret what you could have done!

1 Like

From personal experience, mine was a disaster.
But good luck if you make it work. Keep us posted on your wedding plan!

Nah Timmy gets lost in the bush instead

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear yours didn’t work out. or I’m glad depending on how you feel lol
I was going to say it’s tough, but it’s not. these relationships can work if that’s what you want. but if it’s not meant to be it wont.