List of Quality of Life Improvements

Eh, I disagree that it would necessarily scare away new players. Or, if it is determined it would, maybe it’s a feature that only unlocks after level 100 so that wouldn’t be an issue?

1 Like

Fair enough. I’ve added it.

Not really my place to say what would improve one’s quality of life, or what the devs won’t/shouldn’t do. At least not here anyway. :wink:

I really like this idea!
It would be neat to see how far I actually am :slight_smile:

Nice updated list. I hope these end up in gems of war at some point

Better chat. Enough said…

Anything in particular? “Better chat” isn’t exactly actionable.

We could probably make a whole separate topic on the ways chat could be improved just to the level of what would be considered a fully functional chat system in most modern games:
Direct Messages (already listed)
Ignore/Friends List (already sort of listed)
Timestamps (already listed)
Chat all modes (need treasure hunt - already listed)
Improved character limit with auto line wraparound (increasing the limit to about 3 lines at a time should be good)
Improved and client side only (toggleable) profanity filter - the current one “s*cks” and we should be able to “push_it” out of our sights

These would all undoubtedly be nice, but some would likely require a redesign of how chat works as a whole.

1 Like

Not to mention the notifications for legendary pulls. Those should either be ignore-able/filterable, or better yet, only appearing for NEW* legendaries… (* new for the player)

2 Likes

@Lyya, one of the the suggestions I was supposed to mail you was trying to get the devs to allow exporting of player “holdings” so sites like yours could display that info. (Or people could calculate it on their own.)

Yeah, that’d be nice. However, they’ve already heard the request, and nothing’s come of it. If I were them, I’d be extremely reluctant to provide this information in a publicly-consumable format, so I’m not holding my breath, as much as I’d selfishly love to have it made available.

I actually have thought that lots of these improvements should unlock around level 100. Things like turning off animations for example. They’re all shiny when you start playing, but after a million or so clicks you just want them to go away.

1 Like

the ability to type in a username to get the “profile” manually, without needing to find them in chat. Duplicate names should let you scroll through a list showing level, guild and last play time.

I can’t imagine they’d let us export data files that are store server-side. That sounds like a recipe for Easy-Bake cheating. Added it to the list nonetheless though.

Also added the other recent additions. This list is getting long!

Building on what was said about showing players better options in the join guild menu, I’d like for the devs to do a guild clean out. I don’t know if they already do this, thinking not, but any guild that is inactive should be removed as a guild. Being every player in that guild hasn’t played in a long time.

It would help clear up the leaderboard and show people only active guilds when they want to join one. I’ve seen so many stories of people that joined an inactive guild, then have to get the devs to change the leadership over to them so they can start recruiting.

I personally believe this would do great things to funnel people to the right guilds. Been thinking about that for awhile. When my gf started playing GoW with me, and tried to join a guild, she had to leave at least 10-20 guilds because they were inactive.

1 Like

< nerd >

What I’d ideally want is an HTTP endpoint that provides (in read-only form) the data they decide to make public. So for example, let’s say that, for a given profile, the list of their obtained troops, their current traiting status, and the player’s obtained kingdom level is deemed “public.” Then you could imagine a RESTful API that hits an endpoint like:

http://data.gemsofwar.com/profiles/lyya

and the result is a JSON blob that contains the desired information. But like I said, it’s a pipe dream – I don’t think the investment is worth the company’s time, and it requires them to make some tough calls about privacy and deciding which fields are public (not to mention implementation and maintenance costs).

< /nerd >

4 Likes

This really makes me wish there was an HTML operation for /nerd. I have no idea what it would do, but I want it! And, yeah, I can’t imagine there’s good ROI there for them. It’s something a very small number of users would leverage and it would be of virtually no benefit to the dev team.

Not quite a QoL request (it can be considered one, while that’s a bit of a stretch), but it seemed sort of senseless to start a whole new post for it, although I guess I could have…

The emblem in guilds that signifies that a person has purchased a Guild Shop purchase disappears after the week is over that they purchased it in. I think it should stay as a legacy item, not a once per week reset, even though it can be purchased multiple times at once per week.

I’m sure that this is intentional given that they want to encourage people to buy them week to week. It doesn’t really make you a “guild hero” for the week if you didn’t buy it.

1 Like

I’d like to add a QoL item to the list.

When the game is over and the board screen changes to the notification screen there is a very bright flash of light. After playing many games this becomes VERY difficult on the eyes. This repeated flash does not seem to have a purpose. We know the game is over and we have a new screen to look at. Why the extremely annoying flash of light?

1 Like

We’ve just been happily reading this thread since its inception a couple of weeks ago, and I realised that we hadn’t actually replied in here!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that there is SO MUCH goodness in here, it’s awesome, thanks to all who’ve contributed!

17 Likes

And you promise to give us everything on the list, right? Right? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes