Kingdom Rework - Wild Plains

Originally published at: https://gemsofwar.com/kingdom-rework-wild-plains/

New Hatred Traits

Gnolls now have new traits which allow them to deal double skull damage vs. the mana color they target (eg. The Gnoll has Buried Hatred which deals double skull damage vs. Brown troops).

Gnoll

• The Traits have changed from Fire Brand > Frenzy > Armored to Bloodlust > Buried Hatred > Armored

• The Spell has changed to allow the Gnoll to target an Enemy, but there’s a 50% chance the spell will hit a different Enemy instead.

• Base Spell damage has increased from 3 to 4

• He now gains Magic at level 18

Savage Hunter

• The Traits have changed from Wargare Bond > Monster Slayer > Grudge to Eagle Eye > Toxic Hatred > Bloodlust

• The Spell has changed to allow the Savage Hunter to target an Enemy, but there’s a 50% chance the spell will hit a different Enemy instead. The Spell will no longer apply Hunter’s Mark to his Target. (but he can use his Eagle Eye trait to place Hunter’s Mark instead).

• His Mana cost has reduced from 10 to 9

Wild Fang

• The Traits have changed from Centaur Slayer > Fast > Armored to Stormy Hatred > Fast > Armored

• The Spell has changed to allow Wild Fang to target an Enemy, but there’s a 50% chance the spell will hit a different Enemy instead. If the Enemy dies, Wild Fang will gain 8 to all Skills.

Tauros

• The Traits have changed from Nature Link > Sturdy > Avenger to Nature Link > Frenzy > Thick Hide

• The Spell has been reworked so it will deal light splash damage to the first Enemy, boosted by the Tauros’ Attack, Life and Armor.

• His Mana cost has increased from 7 to 9

Hyena

• Base Spell damage has increased from 2 to 4

Soothsayer

• The Spell has been changed to give all other Allies 1 to all Skills (instead of just Magic)

Gorgon

• The Spell has been reworked so it will now explode a row, deal splash damage to the first Enemy and then knock them to the back.

• His Mana Cost has been increased from 10 to 11

• His Troop Role has changed from Striker to Defender

Winged Bison

• The Traits have changed from Nimble > Thick Head > Nature Link to Thick Head > Thick Hide > Nature Link

Minogor

• The Traits have changed from Monster Slayer > Fire Brand > Grudge to Grudge > Bloodlust > Armor Piercing

• The Spell has been reworked so it will deal damage to an Enemy, boosted by the Minogor’s Attack, Life and Armor. If the Enemy Attack is weaker, deal double damage.

• His Mana cost has been increased from 11 to 13

Sunweaver

• Her Mana cost has been reduced from 13 to 12

Skeleros

• The Spell has been reworked so it will behave similarly to the Troll Troops, meaning it will double the number of Skulls on the Board, then create 2 more Skulls.

• His Mana cost has been reduced from 13 to 12

Mongo

• Mongo’s Spell now has new random effects for players to discover.

Bulette

Hydra

• Base Spell damage has been increased from 8 to 12

Wild Plains rework will appear in the game in the next 24hrs after Weekly Reset today.

7 Likes

Skeleros

• The Spell has been reworked so it will behave similarly to the Troll Troops, meaning it will double the number of Skulls on the Board, then create 2 more Skulls. * His Mana cost has been reduced from 13 to 12

Finally!

Bulette

… =/

Minogor

• The Spell has been reworked so it will deal damage to an Enemy, boosted by the Minogor’s Attack, Life and Armor. If the Enemy Attack is weaker, deal double damage. * His Mana cost has been increased from 11 to 13

Mini-Ketras with a 2x effect?

Strange to see many of those troops lose 3x dmg, can’t wait to play test some of the buffed troops.

I’m hoping for a Mongo meta, just sayin’

1 Like

I really, really hate the sound of a Bulette that can power itself in 4 turns rather than 5.

It’s going to make certain delve rooms even more of a nightmare.

23 Likes

I would love to see all underwhelming mythic troops reworked like that. Great job.

Devour all 4 enemies? XD

Really should have buffed the boost ratio on Hydra ability and damage on final trait. Would have been the perfect opportunity to make the legend not useless.

8 Likes

Mmmmmm that pretty formatting.

1 Like

Ooh new random effects for Mongo.

Skeleros is back, baby.

Delves gonna be even more painful with mana reduction to Bullette. They were making it easier at some point…right?

2 Likes

Nice to see that this is an actual rework that changes some “useless” troops function in a fundamental way. The Gnoll spell gimmicks still look pretty weak overall, relying on dealing enough damage to one-shot an opponent outright at very low cost while not having the spell damage to facilitate this past early midgame. They look a bit better as skull fodder now though. The Tauros gimmick being extended to Minogor is a nice touch… this troop could be absolutely deadly if the boost ratio is high enough (even 3:1 with double damage condition would one-shot most troops with endgame stats vs endgame stats), and that trait set is brutal.

Speaking of boost ratios, Chief Stronghorn wasn’t touched at all? I have a feeling he’d be a lot more viable if his trait effect was doubled and he had a 2:1 boost ratio.

Bulette didn’t need the buff. This won’t help any player. I’ve used him at low levels to “punch up”, 13 mana was fine if you are conscious about setting stuff up. 12 just makes him easier to luck into being full from cascades and permanently disrupt your team order by casting once in delves.

Hydra needed a 4x boost ratio and a different trait. And possibly lower mana. If you are worried that it is in a questline boss, players completing this kingdom should grasp the basics of chaining spells to kill a threat without dropping the turn, or have plenty of tools able to kill it before it can fill.

Not sure how I feel about Gorgon being a rearranger. Probably that we have too many of those already and not enough counterplay.

The rework still kinda leaves us in an awkward position where the a few of the ultra-rares and rares in the kingdom are way better than either of the legendaries. Except more of them now.

7 Likes

I think one of Mongo’s random effects should be that he turns into a pawn in the game of life. :smile:

3 Likes

This will make me never use these troops. This would have been a great trait but is not somthing I would want for my attacking or defending troops. I’ll cast Gnoll on this full Life and Death oh it hit the 1hp Grave Seer instead.

1 Like

They might be useful on defence. The AI is targeting the wrong troop most of the time anyway :crazy_face:

3 Likes

These changes are interesting.

• The 50% targeting reminds me of Mogor the Ogre from Hearthstone. I’d say it’s probably a buff over the completely random targeting we got previously.

• Hatred is a fun and interesting trait idea. Can’t wait to see more of it.

• Like how Tauros and Minotor are now mini Ketras the Bulls!

• Skeleros will be fun! A Troll for Skulls…

• Mongo changes :thinking:

• Soothsayer was already an excellent troop for new players before! Cool buff.

• Ketras wasn’t touched. I think that’s for the best, he’s pretty great as-is.

Overall, looking at these changes, they’re definitely centered on lower-level players. Besides Skeleros and maybe Mongo, I don’t see anything that will affect end-gamers in any significant way.

EDIT: Mongo has

a 1/6 equal random chance to do one of the following:

• Devour a random enemy.

• Transform myself into a random Fey (LOL).

• Apply a random status effect to all enemies.

• Explode 10 random Gems

• Increase all stats on a random ally by (Magic + 10)

• Deal (Magic + 2) Heavy splash damage to a random enemy.

Overall, it’s become a lot more random, and funny (I was hoping he’d someday get Devour!)

7 Likes

I like the second one in that list lol…

1 Like

They could call it the wheel of feyte

2 Likes

Feytal attraction

2 Likes

Some cool ideas here. The changes to Skeleros in particular should make that troop very viable.

Anybody have the boost ratios on Tauros and (especially) Minogor handy? They aren’t up on Taran’s site yet.

Minogor is 20:3. Tauros is 10:1.

1 Like

20:3 looks like it’s broken and should be 1/6.

Otherwise yeah, just checked and these numbers are right.

1 Like

They did the same thing with Ubastet after they nerfed him. Right after the change the ratio was 22:4 or something crazy like that and then it changed to 6:1 a bit later on.