January Dev Q&A Summary

My two cents; TDS is one of the few solid troops that works well with several other troops AND can take on the Justice League - WHICH clearly the dev don’t think that team which can get over 200 points in just a few turns is over powered, just to name one of the 5 overpowering teams that I face in GW weekly

Personally the Goblins are overpowering - specific the Nobend Brothers who can completely decimate a team’s ability to attack in three rounds?

1 Like

The sad thing is the proposed changes to tds shouldn’t effect that. The changes will potentially alter it’s ability to counter mab and the Psion, famine metas. I would prefer to see other troops used to counter these to further diversify the endgame.

1 Like

Personally I think that what makes Goblins overpowering is the help RNG constantly gives to the AI.
Try to set up a Goblin team and see how Nobend Bro. work for the player (hint: they work well, as long as you arrange a looping team to keep them going. Don’t count on them exploding every time. Above all don’t count on Fizzie to explode evert time to keep Nobend going. You’ll need Alchemist/Hellcat for that)

1 Like

In my understanding, Dragon Soul get its nerf not mainly because it is too overpowered, it’s because of the upcoming mana drain immunity that will be added to mana shield trait. Leaving it like that will make it go from supposed OP to unbeatable.

As for it power, I think it’s a bit OP in that it can loop itself sometimes on its own, just like the goblin team. But Goblin team need Fizzbang/Nomad/Grappblepot to do looping damage, TDS can do AoE and looping completely alone. Adding that to its InfernalKing-unique 3rd trait that make it revive itself multiple times, I think the nerf is in the right direction.

1 Like

Unless you use some weird and unheard-of magical thing such as stunning, silencing or webbing it. So, so hard to attain.

1 Like

Back to the main topic, I’m pretty excited about 3.3 and raid boss. I do love Guild wars but some new modes are always nice. I wonder if Invasion Mode is the secret third one.

It’s nice to have sub-species of Elves with their own unique trait, that also mean Wing-elf from next upcoming kingdom will also have one, right? Awesome!

Explode is a hard issue to tackle, as its main problem is not a mana from exploded gems, but cascade that come after it. Adding Strom into play and things go out of control. So reduced % might not help much. At least explode is unreliable sometimes, as it can leave extra turn to enemies, unlike trusted converter.

Anyway, more new cards every week also mean cards to build new interesting meta team. Really looking forward to them all! ^^

Of course they will always be ways to counter any cards, but do you really want it to get buffed by accident because of new feature being added?

Yes, since I use TDS extensively. Also what about other troops with Mana Shield?

I’m sure they will get to them before releasing Mana drain immunity, as convertors with that immunity will be a big problem. I think they choose to discuss TDS first because of it’s an unintentional buff to popular AoE troop.

I think post-nerf TDS won’t be much difference on offense, as it mainly used for AoE and exploded, both don’t affected by nerf. Fighting with Mab will sure suck, but you can still use other strategies. The point of this game is to not use static team anyway, in my opinion.

1 Like

Devs sort troops according to their frequence in the defense teams.
If the troop with the max frequence is far greater than the 2nd one, they nerf him.

What about the Justice League? Or Psion?

I never said it was the only way for them to decide to nerf a troop :stuck_out_tongue: .
For TDS devs clearly said that he is overused in defense teams.

Justice League/Bone Dragon were nerfed thanks/because of feedbacks/riot, I guess.

Psion has never been nerfed. Sadly :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Justice Legue has been nerfed? When?

When devs nerf the double gem generators (i.e. all the guardians).

i.e. all the gems generators, not just Justice. That was not nerfing the Justice League.
You might have noticed they are still around.

No only the double generator as the nerf was that color 2 can overwrite even the new color 1 gems.

Devs didn’t nerf Justice League exactly, but they nerfed the cause of the issue (i.e. Justice’s loop).
I don’t see any “Justice League is OP” anymore…

Not really… Each of us is trapped in a pool of players and can think that one troop is overused.
Only devs has the overall data.

1 Like

You should, and the League is still heavily present in the game.

I’m in the pool that uses Psion-Famine-Infernus-whatever. OR Justice league. Goblins being a nice moment of leisure.
…this week is Fairy week. Great.

Where I play (high level PS4), the Justice League is still around, but it doesn’t work the way it used to. Before the nerf, every battle against that team was an absolute race to kill Justice before it could cast. Now, even if it casts once or twice, the battle is still winnable. I didn’t believe that such a small nerf would be enough to bring that team down to earth, but I was 100% wrong. The devs nailed it (the team still works and has synergy, but isn’t an unstoppable freight train when it gets its first cast of any of the first 3 troops).

2 Likes

I wish, for fun, there were some table somewhere that displayed the top 10 most-used teams and/or top 20 most-used troops. If it’s not in-game, it’d be nice if the data were around so gowdb could do it.

I feel like most of our speculation around what does and doesn’t need a nerf is difficult because we can have different views of PvP and GW with no perspective on if we represent outliers. These kinds of tables would help judge that.

(I am seeing more guardians lately among the higher teams, but so far it’s not oppressive outside of some particular 3-trophy matches I don’t feel I have a team to approach.)

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand why such revolt over TDS losing a single trait… If he is used, and largely used by the way the devs mentioned, even without immunity to Mana Drain he won’t lose much when said immunity is add to Mana Shield and the said trait is removed from him…

If they exchanged it for another immunity trait like Fireproof he’ll still have two very fitting and decent immunities for a dragon.

Honestly i hope they make a decent “Racial Trait Pack” for all dragons. Maybe two could be in order like:

• Lesser Draconic Heritage: For all the small dragons and half-dragonic creatures.
  • Great Draconic Heritage: For all the real dragons.
1 Like