[Investigating] Large difficulty increase for Underspire battles

Platform, device version and operating system:
PC/Mobile

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
I was expecting Underspire battles to not suddenly get way more difficult after the update. Compared to previous weeks, all battles now have a much higher level.

Example:
Levels on main path in first section before update: 10, Merchant, 10, 11, 15, 15, 20
Levels on main path in first section after update: 14, Merchant, 21, 22, 24, 23, 33

This also applies to subsequent sections. It’s currently still unknown how much this scales up battles for the last parts of Underspire. Considering that Underspire has a very restricted troop selection, this may require a significant additional buy-in due to lost battles.

7 Likes

It may have something to do with the progress/map being reset.

It still kept the keystones so maybe it kept the difficulty as well? No idea how those are coded so I hope this is unintentional.

1 Like

So far this seems to be happening to every player, no matter how far (or even if) they played Underspire earlier this week. It’s highly likely a side effect of this fix going live:

It was normal before the update, that much is for sure. I played my usual underspire daily, and difficulties were normal before the patch.

I really hope this is a bug because otherwise that would be a huge slap.

My first battle (of the reset map) has difficulty 11.

The ones on the accounts where I have not played are 13 and 14. Not going to play to check and see how high it goes.

So I opened Underspire on my other non-serious account where I hadn’t touched it for a few weeks and had no battles played this week before update.

Here are the room levels I encountered:

*Main path - 11; 22; 20; 27; 23; (Keystone 1) 29; *
Sidepath 1 - 27; 30; 31; 30; 37; (Dragon 1) 25;
Main path - 29; 31; 33; 44; 45; 44; (Keystone 2) 54;

Here, for comparison, are levels somebody in our guild noted down before update:

So, chances are that something has gone amiss and needs to be fixed.

3 Likes