Infinite loops need to be fixed

How often do these mega-loops occur? Is it an every-time thing, or a rare thing? My supposition is that it’s pretty rare. I’ve had a Moon Rabbit team go HAM on me before, but so have several others (my least favorite was Leprechaun + Bronzelock Pistol—the AI cast during a storm and just kept getting lucky after clearing the board).

1 Like

Just because I don’t agree with your thoughts. Has nothing to do with you as a person or other threads.
I don’t think you’re stupid.
I think your thoughts are.
There’s a major difference. :grinning:

If you don’t want to hear the thoughts of others. Then you may want to reconsider posting your thoughts on a public forum.

1 Like

I’ve been deliberately going after the rope dart/moon rabbit team to see how lucky they are, and they seem to consistently loop 5+ times in every match, and seem to get these 20+ loops once every 3-4 matches.

If you disagree with my thoughts, try disagreeing with the things I actually say, not the words you try to cram into my mouth. Personal attacks have no place in debate and that’s all you ever seem capable of doing.

1 Like

You stated that someone who designed mirror matches as a counter didn’t know what they were doing.
You keep getting statements and questions confused.
But you best believe… You’ve changed the subject into a personal deal. I had issue with your opinion. I still have an issue with your opinion. You as a person… Do not matter in that regard. So please keep your own OP on topic.
And explain why using a mirror match is an inferior strategy?
It sounds like you simply don’t want to use the troops that are necessary to counter it. Therefore, you choose to lose as well then.

I think the Spirit Fox thread is leaking, but this post is here so I’ll respond here. Like Slypenslyde alluded to, there are other ways to make the game harder. The AI is pretty dumb right now. What if the following three changes were made:

(1) Any time a converter/remover can cast, it checks all available colors to see which would ensure a 4+ match and extend its turn.
(2) Any time multiple 4+ matches were on the board, the AI resolves them top-to-bottom.
(3) The AI can look one step ahead, and make 3-matches that cascade into 4+ matches.

These are all things a semi-competent human player does, but the AI is coded to ignore. Because it’s no fun to play against. There are no counters to smart play, unlike Spirit Fox (at risk of permanently jinxing myself, the foxes up to floor 25 have not historically posed a problem to me).

I did not say mirror matches are an inferior strategy. I said they are irrelevant to the question of balance. Lets say that I was balancing three units

Swordsman: 3 ATK, 5HP
Brawler: 2 ATK, 8HP
Knight: 400 ATK, 400HP

Saying that the knight counters the knight does not mean the game is balanced. The mirror strategy’s viability is worthless to the discussion of whether the knight makes the game unbalanced, because countering an overpowered thing with it’s self does not disprove it’s overpowered nature.

Any discussion of game balance must, in order to be productive, ignore mirror matches, and focus on how a given strategy affects the rest of the game.

The problem isn’t the looping, that’s been addressed before. The problem really is the rope dart team. Many teams can still loop for quite a few turns despite the “combo breaker” but none of them deal such devastating damage each turn of the loop like the rope dart team. Other teams that loop you can almost always recover, but not when this happens:

(I know I should have stopped the blue/yellow extra turn but I was speed farming :stuck_out_tongue:)

2 Likes

To a certain extent I agree. When I say mirror matches…I don’t mean the exact same troops though in this case. There’s like 16 or more empowered troops in the game. I don’t use the exact same troops as the AI to counter them. I just use the same strategy. Loop them before they can loop me. It’s no different than the strategy used against goblins. So it’s a legit strategy that one must adopt to have success in GoW. Wishing something away won’t make it go away. Not when it’s a fundamentally designed mechanic like this. GoW used to be straight up too easy. The devs have worked hard to make it anything but easy anymore.

I’m so happy in doing ranked PvP right now.
I just went up against the “dreaded” dart.
I didn’t use a single true mirror troop.

I literally made 2-3 moves. The AI never had a turn.

Because I know what I’m doing. :wink:

Yeah that’s not really the “rope dart team” though. :wink:

6 Likes

Two things? First of all, that’s not the “dreaded dart” team. As is the case with many meta teams, the star feature is the “name” of the team but there is a bit more to it than that. The “Rope Dart Team” involves Moon Rabbit at the very least. From there, variations consist of having a second empowered orb changer, or Ishbaala to keep an endless loop going.

What you have screenshots of is a team that just sort of happens to have rope dart in it, but no actual loopers in the team.

Second, you are being disingenuous to the point of absurdity here. If you are not interested in the actual topic, you are free to leave. At this point, assuming that you are trolling is the most charitable assumption I can make about your posts in this thread.

3 Likes

Explain to me how this isn’t a personal attack?
I’d love for you to educate me on how I supposedly attacked you. But you see zero hypocrisy in all the garbage to just threw at me?
You don’t get to decide who gets to have an opinion. It’s unfortunate that I don’t agree with you. That’s just how the world works bub. Me, much like, empowered troops… will not being going away. Be an adult… deal with it.
And next time… ask for help.
“How is everyone beating this team” instead of…“I don’t like watching the AI get infinite turns… Only I should get infinite turns … So change the game for me”

Followed by the subtext, “only comment if you agree with me or never had a disagreement with me before on the forums”.

1 Like

For a couple of years now, the game has been becoming less tactical and more strategic. Unpredictable abilities; explosions; Empowered units that kick things up right off the bat; transforms messing with your team; looping. We can discuss it…we can speculate on it…we can like or dislike it…but at this point it’s clearly what the devs have decided.

All of these things make the game much more strategic (“what will I bring into the match and what is my plan for vctory?”) and less tactical (“how will I react to this thing that’s happening?”) simply because there are fewer tactical responses available. I can guess that this is because the massively larger pool of cards allows for much greater importance to be given to the tools in your toolbox and preemptive planning. I can guess that it’s because the devs prefer the feel of the game when it’s got impactful punctuating events instead of a slow burn of predictable events. I can guess that a gameplay and revenue analysis showed that players spent more money when the game is more chaotic and net profits are higher even after accounting for longer-term players churning out. I can guess that this is how the devs are handling the “problem”, such as it is, of “almost everyone wins almost every game”.

Regardless, though, this is what Gems of War is now. And like I said earlier, it really doesn’t bother me at all, because they’ve given us multiple tools to handle it with.

8 Likes

It’s not a personal attack to point out your behavior. If I was in a debate with someone who repeated everything I said with a baby voice, it would absolutely not be a personal attack to point out the fact that they are being immature. You have been doing the equivalent with your early posts; trying to put words in my mouth and imply that I mean things which I never said.

From there, there are only two possible conclusions to be drawn from your most recent post in this thread; either you are trolling, or you are so horribly unknowledgable about the game that you legitimately think Leprechaun is an empowered orb changer and have been arguing about a situation which is utterly divorced from the situation I am speaking about. The first can be salvaged by pointing out your behavior and hopefully seeing you stop it. The later is a sign that you don’t hold the sufficient level of understanding of the game to actually participate in this conversation in spite of your opponent’s stats implying that you must be around the mid-game by now.

There are two different conversations in this thread.

In one, people are discussing looping teams and potential problems/solutions.

In the other, two people are squabbling like clucking chickens. One of them frequently chastizes me for “derailing threads”. Hmm.

1 Like

I’m trying to have the first conversation. Arwain is being a disruption to it and since there is no block button here (not unusual, most forums don’t have block buttons), I’m stuck dealing with him. I have not been putting words into his mouth. I have not been misconstruing his arguments. The only “personal” things I have said towards him have been pointing out his disruptive behavior, and trying to make it clear that I see what he is doing and do not appreciate it. Implying that we are equally “squabbling” is not an accurate portrayal of what’s going on here. What’s going on here is that while I’m trying to have a conversation, this guy keeps poking me repeatedly with a stick and I’m asking him to stop it.

So now that there’s no specific troop to nerf, we’re going beyond that?
These forums are just getting embarrassing anymore

2 Likes

There is no “specific” troop, I am addressing my concern that as we get more empowered orb changers, we are starting to see more potential for perfect loops being created. I am hoping to address this before the loops get bad enough to be game breaking.

Occasional forced rng losses aren’t game breaking nor are they new
They prob started with the original goblins at 1x speed, used to need to walk away and come back 1-2 mins later Lol

This just seems to be a new generational thing where losing is unacceptable
Early gaming, if u beat 25% of your collection, u were amazing, if a game even had an end and not just infinite levels for highest score
Nowadays, you can win a game in OT against real people, and the losing team will yell at each other for sucking
We’re not in Kansas anymore Lol

The whole point of a game is to play. Winning or losing isn’t as important as play. The problem with loop teams isn’t that they win; it’s that they take control away from the player, and keep control of the match out of the player’s hands. There is a reason why gamers generally say “Get good” when a boss just requires a high level of skill to win, and why they general say “This is broken” when an enemy can permanently stunlock the player character. Good design will punish you for your mistakes, but always allow you to recover as long as your character is alive. A game which takes control out of your hands, then punishes you for not having control over your character is not presenting a fair challenge.

Older games were “difficult” in that they were designed to be unfair so that it could extend the length of time you would play the game before finishing it. It started from arcades where the philosophy was that the average player should pay one quarter for every so many minutes of play time. When games came to consoles, the amount of content you could put into a cartridge was very limited, so the difficulty was kept for the sake of padding out gameplay and make the price tags seem worth it.

The “good ol’ days” of gaming weren’t difficult because it was a superior design philosophy. They were difficult for exploitative and cynical reasons. Now that games are easier to make than ever, and able to contain more actual content than ever, there is no longer a need to artificially inflate game time through unfair game mechanics.