Inconsistant moderators: Discuss

Well then i apologize for misunderstanding your post. Thanks anyway.

It just comes across as trolling the forums, time to mute the thread :+1:

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel that way. By all means, mute away. :smile:

There’s always going to be inconsistencies when it comes to moderating a forum especially when there is more than one moderator. I find that as long as you’re not trying to be a jerk to their people the mods will generally leave you alone. If they mod you for using certain words then just change the words. I don’t think it’ll kill you to just change the words.

I agree that it wouldn’t kill me to change some words. As to that let me ask your advice. I was told to not be a jerk for a post that said exactly this, “consistancy sweetie”. Which words would you recommend i change to avoid being called a jerk by a mod?

“Sweetie” can be misconstrued to be condescending or patronizing, esp. if you are calling someone sweetie if they don’t know you.

Just MHO

1 Like

Oh honey, i call most people sweetie.

Ok. Buuuuuutt this is what, day 3 that you’ve been on the forums? Others would not have that context and history built yet.

Your reply to someone explaining how your post could be taken as condescending or patronizing…could be taken as condescending or patronizing.

Regardless of whether that’s how you address most people in real life, where body language and tone convey additional context, I think what people are trying to say is that you probably shouldn’t address most people like that here.

1 Like

Thats true. However i wouldnt think that “sweetie” would be worse than what i have been called in this very thread. Again, inconsistancy.

So how shall i address people then?

Calling strangers “sweetie” without licking them means you just assumed their flavors. Maybe that’s why they felt offended in the first place… :thinking:

5 Likes

If you want to make jokes, i have no problems with that, but can we please stay on topic here?

And there goes coffee all over me lap. Thanks for the spittake.

Personally, I find names and/or pronouns to work just fine.

1 Like

Thats fair. I make no promises to do that but i will keep in mind that some people dont want to be called sweetie.

1 Like

I wasn’t calling you a jerk. I’m just saying that most of the time the mods will leave you alone as long as you’re not acting like a jerk. Wasn’t trying to to take a swing at you and sorry if it came off that way

1 Like

Not at all. I understood what you meant. No harm done :smile:

1 Like

I think there is a clearly conflict of how people perceive or expect things on both sides.

Maybe you were under a certain impression when you first joined the forums and then things unfolded really quickly for you and other users in the meantime.

You can also have a strong-minded disposition about everything without necessarily engaging into conflict. You just need to take some moments to wonder: “How people will perceive a new forum user already at the center of so much controversy?”

Surely some judgements about you won’t be fair, but that happens and will happen all the time during your life, and handling these experiences doesn’t means you should bend over to every one who confronts you. It just means that you might need to find a better and smarter way to cope with all this.

Will you play the buffoon sometimes to break the animosities? If yes: “It’s a duel then. En garde!” :skull:

Will you keep doing what you do, because you are convinced people shouldn’t be using their own bias about you, while on the other side of the coin, you have your own bias about what you expected from these forums and its moderators?

There are more possible mental exercises to use for this situation, and i believe very few people are expecting an apology that you may never give if you think you are always right. That’s a dangerous way of thinking, even for squirrels:

Sorry about that, but you should drink more milk anyway, to keep your bones strong.

4 Likes

I will not apologize for not beimg one of those weak willed little docile girls with a pink bow in my hair and never shares her opinion.

While i won’t claim to be innocent with regards to controversy, i certainly wasn’t the only one at fault. I just took the brunt of the backlash because i am new. As for how people percieve me i don’t care really. I have a problem with the mods joining in on the attack. I am actually a sweetie if any of you would care to get to know me instead of making a snap judgement based on one interaction.

I would love to joke around and have a good time but this thread is not the place for it.

As it stands now, i am still of the belief that most of the people here are not very welcoming to newcomers. I made a thread to introduce myself which was locked for no reason i could figure other than spite and i asked for a guild in global chat only to be met with people calling me a troll. I have seen nothing yet to dissuade me from that opinion either.

This is the tricky part of life. Everyone is judgemental to an extent, some will take more time to collect evidences (experiences) before closing a case, while others won’t give much thought before doing it for many reasons.

But if you put things on the scales and you consider the very facts you mentioned/pointed out:

You assume you didn’t behaved in an exemplar fashion, so why should you expect others to be better? This is the conflicting view or expectative i mentioned before.

And…

That’s quite the controversial view when you also complained about people not giving a chance to know you better:

So if you would take an advice, as neutral as i can be on the matter, you should take a break of all of this. This whole discussion and confrontation will hardly do any good for everyone.

If you are right or not has little relevance now. What is important in my opinion, for whatever it’s worth, is how pressing such matters will just deprive both sides from having a chance of knowing and understanding each other better. It’ll just keep pushing people to make a hasty judgement about you, while also creating an hostile enviroment that will only reinforce your views about how these forums are unwelcoming, and in the end both sides will lose something.

For a not so neutral advice: You should also have more calcium on your diet, i need strong skeleton recruits on my war against the invertebrates. :skull:

2 Likes