In 3 weeks of GW we've had 3 members quit the game permanently

HeY, i SeE yOu’Re GoInG aLl PeRsOnAl By CaLlInG mE a LoSeR hErE.

Most of what I do here is supposed to be ironic. This is a forum for a video game, not a place for cancer survivors.

As such, yes, I’m self-aware of the irony I’m presenting by whining and then getting offended that someone calls me out on it. I feel it’s only fair to make myself a giant target by giving you a large attack surface by using irony and self-effacing behavior. I feel it’s a fresh change from ‘I’m number one and everyone else should bow before me’ type of attitude many gamers like to have.

9 Likes

Your humor and irony is appreciated brudda😎

1 Like

Now just so we are clear… Was that “like” givin ironically?

Good point.

One thing I should point out is that while I’m complaining about the stress level, I am still here, complaining. We’ve had, since week 1, seven members churn through our guild. Many of them rage quit and similar. I’m complaining about the stress level because of the observed effect its having on my friends and guild members. Yes I’m stressed by it but I’m also a yoga teacher and kung fu practitioner so I know how to ‘chillax’ and put down the game and so something nicer when I have a RNG-screwed GW battle. I still play all my battles and still grind out my PvP wins for my guild reqs.

So technically, while I’m affected by the stress of GW and the negative feelings generated by the RNG griefing me with none of the mana I need for 7 turns, my main reason for complaining is that we went from being 30 happy people playing for almost 6 months with no changes to our roster to having weekly roster changes of 2-4 people because people can’t deal with the stress of doing the 5 extra battles each day.

Which brings me to why I feel the need to complain here. I want the devs to know that there is a complex series of pressures that are causing people to leave the game at the higher end(The people quitting are all level 750+ and not low levels who can’t hack being in a top 10 guild). I want them to understand that they might want to consider reducing the frequency of GW or providing other alternatives for people who don’t want to play GW but also don’t want to abandon their guild. I personally would rather quit the game than quit my guild which is why I’m still doing GW, because my guild requires it.

5 Likes

This I can totally agree with. We’ve only lost 1 player I think due to the increased load of GW, and 2 players left because they delayed quitting prior to GW and it wasn’t “what they expected”. However, we do have a few members who are still having difficulty dealing with the stress, so that’s still an issue. My post/suggestions was more targeted to players rather than to the devs.

With that said, I’m not sure what they could do to improve things? Some suggestions like scheduling might help a little (allowing players to play on any day (currently you must play Sunday, and you can’t play all battles on first day), but otherwise I’m not sure what possible solution there could be. A competitive mode is inherrently stressful, and some will like it while others will not find it enjoyable. Taking away that competitiveness/stress would make it enjoyable for some, but for others that enjoy it, the mode would be neutered and pointless. Which is why ultimately I do think it’s a players decision (and responsibility) to play if they like it and stop if they don’t.

I don’t think it’s the devs job to remove any modes that a portion of the community doesn’t like. Rather, they should focus on adding an additional mode they will like. Maybe something like a PvE that is more social and cooperative in nature, or other mini games that have been proposed by others on the forums. And some of the competitive players may hate those modes, but who cares, they can ignore them and just play GW :wink: For me, I’ll keep playing PvP and GW while ignoring Arena and Treasure Maps, and I’ll encourage everybody else to play the modes they like too.

4 Likes

Actually, I just like you. I wanted to thank you because today was the first time I’ve been ‘memed’ in these forums and I’ve been here actively at least a year.

I like you because you provide contrast to my point of view and I’m not someone who wants an army of “yes, that’s right” people around me. I want people to tell me I’m being stupid, because how can I improve otherwise?

So thank you for being a wonderful contributor.

6 Likes

I think the other thing that is happening here is that maybe for the first time, players will need to start sorting themselves into guilds with players who have more similar playstyles. There was always a tension between casual and hardcore, but now GW has introduced an additional split and is making it possible for hardcore players to be mismatched within guilds if they don’t share the prevailing attitude toward GW. What I mean is, a guild full of experienced, committed players could co-exist before whether individuals wanted to focus on ranked PVP, arena, treasure maps or whatever, so long as everyone was meeting whatever the established expectations were around gold donations and seals. The introduction of the seal system was really successful in allowing these different playstyles to coexist. Now, if a guild (collectively or as determined by the leader) wants to compete seriously in GW, a player that doesn’t enjoy that is forced to either play the mode they don’t like or leave. In time, players will self-select into guilds that make sense for them, but this has been a very disruptive transition.

6 Likes

Whoa brudda i never said you were stupid nor did i imply it. In fact i think it is quite clear to the contrary.

Just because i disagree with someone that doesnt mean i think they are stupid… Hell i may even make fun of someone (its a good bet i will in fact) but that still doesnt mean I think they are stupid.

If i think someone is stupid i will blatantly say “yo pimpin you are stupid”

Otherwise im probably just having some fun at your expense

1 Like

I agree with a lot that is said above.

I guess I’m already upset at the extreme imbalance of cards and some terrible spells that GW just amplifies these issues.

I’m not sure if I have seen any Dev’s commenting on what GW has done to the players and the mentality of the game has suddenly changed from Casual (Play as you want, anytime you want) to Hardcore (You must login every day, or else fear the kick from your guild). This mode is not elective as there are Special Cards hidden behind this mode that wont be released for weeks or months after they come out in GW.

So for the Casual Card collector type, they must play, they must try. And to some I think its pushing them over the brink to quitting. I’m know I’m getting close to quitting this game. And its not because I don’t like the base of this game, I totally despise GW.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to ruin the fun that others like when doing GW, if you take a look at other modes like Treasure Hunt or Arena, you are not given cards that aren’t available elsewhere. So maybe if GW didnt hold us hostage (not allowing the card collector in us all) to gather those newer cards without having to play in a mode we totally dislike and not being behind months that do. Then the mode would be better for those of us that dislike it. We could go on and play casually in a different guild that has similar ideals and completely ignore this mode altogether.

I hope I don’t burn out before something changes to where the game will excite me again. As of now, its become a “chore” before the fun begins 6 days a week.

2 Likes

[quote=“AeroCloud, post:131, topic:24291, full:true”]
This mode is not elective as there are Special Cards hidden behind this mode that wont be released for weeks or months after they come out in GW.[/quote]

It’s been mentioned before, but you don’t really need to “compete” in GW, you simply need to register and play. If all you’re interested in is getting the card, just register, play 30 matches with Elspeth, and collect. With that said, as a (hopefully) constructive suggestion, the devs could eliminate a lot of the frustration and “make work” by simply giving the special card (or the 1000+ reward) to all players whether they do GW or not. You can play/compete for additional rewards, but if GW just isn’t your thing, you could still get a copy of the weekly card even if your guild doesn’t register. Just a thought…

3 Likes

You don’t even need to do that. Just register and ignore GW for the whole week and you’ll still collect the minimum rewards.

3 Likes

Since crafting is coming up, it would also make sense to have them be craftable in a reasonable amount of time. The current “after they leave the guild wars pool” distribution model of guild wars troops through guild seals chests is pretty awful for anyone wanting to eventually have them mythic and not already getting dozens of copies as a head start. The whole exclusivity thing with extremely top-heavy reward distribution for guild wars is certainly at the root of much of the contention. Discounting even that it is divisive among established, guilds, even if your entire guild doesn’t care about it, you can’t simply ignore it to work on your collection like you would Treasure Hunt, Arena, or even Explore.

4 Likes

Hey Aerocloud. I hear where you’re coming from. Due to an increasing work schedule, I bumped down from a fairly competitive guild to a much more casual guild a few weeks ago, while my wife stayed in that more competitive guild. My guild registers for GW but has no minimum level of participation. Those of us who want to do it, do it and no one is given a hard time if they don’t do well or don’t participate at all. My wife’s guild has mandatory daily participation and everyone is required to max out their sentinels. The contrast in our feelings toward GW is dramatic: she feels much the same way you do, while I see it as more of a challenging addition to my daily play. We both get upset if we lose a battle due to cheesy RNG streaks, devour/deathmark, etc., but the stakes are much higher for her than they are for me, even though I am a champion in my guild while she is a soldier in hers.

I don’t really have any suggestions for the devs, but if you genuinely love the game and want it to feel fun again, I might suggest, based strictly on my own experience, that you find a guild where there is no GW-related pressure and then participate or not based on how you actually want to play. I miss out on some weekly rewards and I miss some of the people in my old guild, but I still get decent rewards and am making new friends where I am. If you’ve heard this a hundred times already, I apologize.

4 Likes

Stan,

I appreciate your feedback, I have heard that a few times already, but I can’t be upset about it.

I wonder how many people actually feel this way while are still participating in Guild Wars. I know there are at least 10 of our 30 in our Guild that do not like Guild Wars as it currently is. I think this issue is larger than most want to believe, especially towards the top 100 guilds.

I may be seeking a new guild then shortly, If I decide to leave my guild… I’ll be looking for a guild that requires 1350+ seals, and 500k gold, NO GW and NO Trophy minimums. Know of a decent guild like this? I may from time to time, participate in GW or PvP when I want to, I just don’t want to feel forced into those modes. I want to hit legendary tasks every week, and all statues full.

3 Likes

It’s kinda sad that it comes down to this though… I don’t think it was ever the intent of the developers for people to just go and find another guild.

There has to be a way to have it in there, and not effect everyone, preferable only those that want to participate.

I hate for people to leave guilds they love and have been happily in for a long time, to have to leave because of GW.

2 Likes

I’m still impressed you’ve been playing for three years… game’s only been out two and a half… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That sums up the difference there, not necessarily GW itself but the expectations placed on players from within. For example I believe I’m in one the more relaxed guilds. It run on player vote 20/30, NOT one person.

We have:

• No real requirement to do anything to the Sentials at all.
  • No daily requirement to play at all. (Just play all 30 before the reset)
  • Super low weekly req. IMO (for a higher Guild)
  • No Trophy requirement.

Now granted most players are all 1k+. We are about to win 4th day in a row this week, even with out any daily mandate, and a bunch of people missing days. Though we are probably going loose later this week to GoT. Still we will easily finish 3rd in our Bracket, maybe even second when a few players get back on to play this week that haven’t yet. What ever happens in the end, its still fairly stress free.

I think all the requirements are adding to peoples stress over every single battle. You get to see this first hand with the very different experience you and your wife are having. I’m still looking forward to the post “Changes to Guild Wars” by Sirrian himself!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

People were guild hopping before Guild Wars. GW has only increased the prevalence of the behavior.

I don’t think that’s necessarily it. Our guild has definitely relaxed some now but even with the majority of saying “don’t stress, don’t stress” some people in our guild were just flat out really stressed. Our requirements are pretty low all things considered and our GW requirements are just like yours. We’re super relaxed, casual even, but for some, GW is just plain stressful no matter how many times you say it’s not.

4 Likes