Illustration of how PVP is unfairly punitive to higher level players

I removed names & guilds, because I’m not calling anyone out.

You can see clearly how the scoring is currently going.
Player 1 has roughly 50% more battles done (with no defense wins I might add), but is not 50% ahead, but has over twice as many points as Player 2. It seems the only difference is that Player 2’s level is significantly higher according to the scoring, but in reality, there is little difference between level 1000 and level 1600 in PVP as it is now.
Next, Player 2 has roughly 50% more battles done (and also more defense wins) than Player 3, but he does not have twice as many points as Player 3. The difference is less than 1000.
This needs to be addressed because it is punishing players unfairly for playing the game for a long time. The end gamers are (usually) the ones who have supported the game the longest and paid the most money into the game.

23 Likes

That’s just the tip of the iceberg. This season you don’t lose any VP whenever your team comes up on defense and fails. Once that changes, high level players will really start bleeding. Everybody will target high level players, because they are worth way more VP. And those high level players will likely also lose more VP than lower level ones each fight they get hit.

14 Likes

im pretty sure they said that you WONT lose VP from defenses, been a while since i read the patch notes though. But yea, if its the case that we WILL lose VP for defense losses… just look at the defense stats on leaderboards and ull see the 2000+ people have like multiple times as many defenses, translating to much more VP lost, if they do add that.

3 Likes

It won’t help if this gets restricted to another mode. There is only one global VP counter. If you team gets auto-drafted to defend in some other mode, your VP will drain away, even when only playing Quick Battle.

9 Likes

Something needs to be done about this, because as someone in the 2000+ club (in fact I’m much closer to 3000 than to 2000) it’s almost impossible to get anyone worth more than 25 base VP. Even a level 2107 opponent I saw this morning only gave 25 base VP. I’m having to grind out 130+ battles just to finish all 20 weekly pvp goals, which is very frustrating when other players could do that in half the amount of battles. And the lag is super frustrating too. As nice as a free book of deeds sounds, I just don’t know if I would want to have to take that much valuable time away from grinding explore for medals.

21 Likes

same here - well spoken

I would add that as a 1700 level player, I’m thinking why should I level up at this point? Exalted rewards are not enough incentive when this kind of punishment awaits. I believe I will just let those 15 min xp bonuses expire. Normally I’m all about hitting goals and moving up, but not in this case.

13 Likes

If the goal is to level the playing field, maybe one way would be to have tiered brackets more similar to Guild Wars. You probably need at least two tiers above emerald and need to change the weighting used for scoring. Maybe Alliances will fix this imbalance in the future? It is the season of hope, after all :wink:

Don’t blame you one bit. If I were at your level, I’d do the same. Had I known that pvp would turn into the way it is now with level determining how much VP you get, I would have spent a whole lot less time doing easy explores for quick leveling. But at 2858, it’s too late for me to minimize leveling up because it would take many years for enough players to get anywhere near that level for me to have a reasonable selection of higher VP battles. So at this point, I might as well go for my goal of hitting 3000 and earn those exalted path rewards.

Nowadays, I would strongly advise anyone, especially early/mid game players, against power leveling because of the VP penalty that comes with having too high of a level.

4 Likes

Gems of War. The game where you win more 3 trophy battles than your opponents but lose to them because you’ve invested more time and possibly money than them.

Perhaps if the devs played more. They wouldn’t give a handicap score to those who play less. :person_shrugging:

15 Likes

just to make sure you know, the 3-trophy fight does not always give the most VP, so make sure you look at the base VP of all 3 fights. That being said, yup it sucks and hopefully they fix it quickly.

5 Likes

On top of higher level players being at a disadvantage for VP, it doesn’t actually guarantee higher level players have more stats either.

If they’re not in a guild/just straight xp farmed/skipped delves etc. (or more other reasons), there’s a chance they still have lower stats than other players a few hundred levels lower than them.

Double penalty for those players in PvP.

It gets weird to see my left most battle having the highest player level/highest vp. Means lowest amount of other rewards for that battle too. (gold/glory/trophies etc)

3 Likes

The problem with sharing images like these, with the number of battles fought and the VP total, is that there’s no way to tell which choice the player was making each time.
They could be taking the easiest battle every time, and ending up with less VP as a result, in order to finish fights faster and get more VP in the long run. Not a great tactic, especially with the lag, but some players might choose that.
Obviously, if you’re posting your own stats, you’ll know which picks you made, but there’s no way to prove it, and that makes it hard to demonstrate the unfairness. My first assumption when I looked at the leaderboards and compared my VP score to other players was that many of them were making worse choices (such as playing central and using teams that aren’t going to get the bonus VP awards as often). Especially when they had similar levels. Having found out that your VP score is tanked by just being a higher level, it really feels like the devs have decided they dislike higher level players. After the issue where players had to fight to get all the adventurer’s path keys/rewards they deserved, it just shows that they don’t value high levels.
I get that there needs to be some weighting, because higher level players will have better stats, and therefore are more likely to win PvP fights, and win them more easily, which translates to more bonus VP awards, but the current levels need examining, because nobody wants to feel like they’re being treated unfairly.

1 Like

in quite a few situations, the easiest fight can actually give MORE VP than the others since player level is the only thing that matters, and not stats. When you look at the global leaderboards, its pretty safe to assume people are picking the highest VP option every time, though as you said, its hard to prove.

2 Likes

What do you do when your 3 choices are level 1080, 1241, and 1378 and you’re way above that in levels? keep paying the gem to refresh it and lose hundreds of gems on top of every other event that wants your gems?

All 3 are worth 25 VP, there is no worst choice here. There’s no best choice either.

9 Likes

You cannot “level the playing field” in PVP. The top accounts on the Leaderboard play 24/7 because they have multiple people playing on those accounts - friends, girlfriends, kids, wives etc. So one person cannot possibly compete against that. Having a 7-day competition where duration of play is a major factor is unfair. Before with just the main Leaderboard this did not bother me much - but now with the League boards and the top 3 getting Gold Marks this does bother me.

4 Likes

my level is 1760

Pretty self-explanatory, methinks. What would be the initiative for me to play any PvP past completing weekly goals?

Average base VP - 28.8
25 base VP - 69% of available games.

Hmm, there also seems to be some delay in updating the score on the leaderboard…
Now it shows

which includes 1000 bonus VP for reaching the goal 6500 VP, so my score without it should be 6850…but those are just details that doesn’t change the overall point.

9 Likes

What do you think, who’s in a worse positon? High level player with quick loading or low level player with 45 second lag after each fight?

1 Like

The slow loading is a bug - the points a design flaw.

Hard to say what’s worse - depends on what they’re willing and able to fix.

1 Like