How to lose hard earned gems ? buy event chest!

I’m not convinced players would be happier getting loads of commons/rares, gold keys say that chances are pretty high they need them even less than ultra-rares. What would probably work quite well is replacing most ultra-rares with some kind of trade token. Exchange the trade token for the ultra-rare/epic/legendary of the currently featured faction, at a significant cost (e.g. 1 token for the ultra-rare, 10 for the epic, 25 for the legendary). That way you still make progress towards the troop you want, even if you are unlucky enough to never directly hit the jackpot.

1 Like

Perhaps they should spit out the ‘ultra rare’ level runic traitstones associated with the kingdom - most people would probably be ok with that (i.e. instead of the UR troop of the kingdom).

I would (plus random 10 characters)

I’ve been saving my gems for event chests in hopes of getting some of the rarer traitstones. I take it that will be a big waste of time.

Yeah, that’s what I mentioned upstreem that is done even in MPQ…

From reading I estimated blue crap chances around 50% and was okay with that. But it turned out over 80% in reality that means massive drop in potentially useful stuff. :frowning:

Btw the event keys are considerably more expensive than gem keys.

Seriously? VIP stuff is for real money. Should I pay up the devs because they are engaged in rip-off? Allowing the way of bullies is only good to enforce them in tactics. To get my money they should steer the game toward fun, not in the very opposite direction as it is happening for almost a year now. The last good update in my book was when we got Arena, it’s all downhill from there and lately switched gears too.

Depends on your flavor of useful. I consider them to be gem keys in terms of loot distribution, except that you get the featured ultra-rare/epic/legendary instead of a random one whenever you hit the jackpot. So yes, that’s somewhat like a 90% chance for blue loot, which mostly ends up being the umpteenthplicate of an ultra-rare you already own. It does let you home in on missing troops though, which probably justifies the slightly increase price compared to gems keys (it’s somewhere between 10% - 20% higher as much as I remember).

Pasa, too much rage, cheer up a little. I’ve only joined after the Arena update, so I’m not in a position to judge how much better the game was before that. I do feel like I’m enjoying myself though, there are always enough carrots to hunt for.

Now, I’ve got to admit that I’m a F2P player, which feels like I’m getting a far better deal out of this than the devs. They need some kind of income to be able to turn pizza and coffee into coding. You seem to willing to let them get your money, provided that it steers the game towards fun. So, talking event keys, what would be your definition of fun and how much would you pay for it?

5 Likes

pass this is an interesting question, I’m curious what you think as well.

single is 10 vs 15 gems, 50-pack 450 vs 675. That is exactly 50% more.

150% the price of a gem key is “about the same?”

Good catch, that’s actually quite a bit more than I remembered. To get back to my question, what change would you suggest to make event keys a fair deal? Sorry for pestering you about it, it’s just that the devs seem to frequent this board and take reasonable feedback into account. You’ve been playing GoW a lot, something that works well for you might end up making others happier too.

1 Like

The fair drop rate? An 50 pack should deal 1 legendary at least. And the UR troops should not go over 50%. another 10-15% could go to gold/glory/gem. And the remaining 35 to at least runic traitstones. Maybe 10-15% for arcane stones and epics.

I definitely would not complain about a draw close to that. Now we seem to have 1/3 of that or even lower.

(OTOH the original assertion was about fun in the game, for me this gambling is not fun at all, so even with spectacular drop rates would not open my wallet, I liked GoW as a strategy game, that was turnes into equivalent of baseball card collection, leaving no play value for me and nothing indicates any move is planned for that. Wasted potential all over the place.)

I always saw this as what would happen if a gem game and M:TG had a child together. The collecting is a strong part of M:TG, and is part of what draws me into this game.

Well, I’ve opened six event keys this week, received a Silent One, a Faunessa, a Sylvasi and three blue level drops I quickly forgot the details about. Yes, I know, I got insanely lucky, probably karma for my recent streak of bad luck in regards to glory keys. Still, I’m not really a fan of too much randomness, I’d prefer an option or two allowing me to plan instead of having to gamble. Maybe something like this:

Introduce an additional currency just for events. Change the event chest loot table to contain event currency (70% chance) or a troop belonging to the zone of the event (15% common, 8% rare, 4% ultra-rare, 2% epic, 1% legendary). Add another tab to the shop that allows buying troops (and possibly trait stones and weapons) of the event zone, for event currency only.

It’s sort of a middle ground, significantly reducing the good/bad luck factor. There’s a bit of a gamble in there, getting lucky with a legendary. There’s a lot of planning in there, saving up event currency for zones that offer what you are interested in. It feels a lot more balanced than current event keys, instead of ending up with a boatload of the same ultra-rare you eventually get to pick what you want. It makes events more exclusive, no more winning a Christmas tree from an Easter raffle. It also doesn’t devalue legendaries in a significant way, you couldn’t just go and buy all existing legendaries at once. Of course, quantities would need some careful balancing, event currency from 50 event keys for one legendary sounds reasonable, a single common from an event key would probably be considered a bad deal by most.

I’m not entirely sure what your strategy game approach would look like. Speaking for myself, I’d like to see game modes that encourage you to use more than the dozen or so troops you end up using all the time. Maybe something like this:

10 fights, your team consists of the hero, one common, one rare, one ultra-rare. Game pulls 5 random commons, 5 random rares and 5 random ultra-rares from your collection (possibly with a guaranteed pull from the current event zone). For the first fight, you need to pick one of the commons, one of the rares and one of the ultra rares. For subsequent fights you need to replace first a common, then a rare, then an ultra-rare with one of those remaining, diminishing the pool available. You end up not having to use one common/rare/ultra-rare if you make it through the whole campaign. Hero weapon and troop position can be changed after each fight.

Involves quite a bit of strategy in regards to team composition, always using the strongest remaining troop won’t help, you need to consider when to best rotate in troops so the team stays strong enough at all times. Obviously needs some tweaking. I’d prefer such a mode to really use your collection in an unmodified way, as an incentive to level up and trait more troops. Which means you could get stuck with a dozen level 1 goons against whatever the AI throws at you. Auto-scaling opponents wouldn’t really help either, that feels like getting punished for really leveling up troops. Hmmm, maybe it would work as a quite brutal daily challenge. Only available once each day, free to enter, see how well you fare this time. Start against low-level opponents (level 5?), moving up to high-level opponents (add 2 levels each fight?) as you progress. Improve your chances by throwing some levels at the troops you rolled today, the first few levels don’t cost that much.

Just some ideas, feel free to share your thoughts.

I too consider event keys to be rather stupid. When broken spire was event I opened that 40 event keys. Didn’t receive not only any legendary (was aiming at shegra), but I haven’t received a single epic. 670 gems resulted in no epics or legendary? I felt bad to put it lightly. So there I swore I’ll never again open an event key unless I get it for free.

2 Likes

MtG had its periods. When everybody played nothing but Necropotence. Or prospy-bloom or other overlooks. And those got addressed by a variety of different means.

GoW took the opposite route, with a series of changes that tripled the base card stats it suppressed ALL strategies but skull-gen and here we are. Then even dropped the trueshot nuke on the top. And when play has no value, maybe left there for pure grind (see the farmville topics) it’s back to the pure card collection for just the collection sake.

MtG had many many of genious-level folks put against the card and card-set design (pretty soon after the launch), also in the rule department. And actually used all the feedback from people around the world, the judges, players and so on. For GoW the last drop of card design happened before the level cap went from 10 to 15, from there most changes are made in bulk and most of them make no sense whatsoever.

I feel it massively unfair to mention the two games on the same page really. O,O

There are two things that make Event Chests situationally an amazing deal:

1. Ascension. If there’s a very specific Ultra-Rare you want to ascend to Mythic then it is 100% worth it. You’re basically guaranteed to get a Mythic of two Ultra-Rares if you buy 100 event chests. Thinking about the math hurts my head, but I promise you it’s thousands of glory/gem chests for the same effect.
  2. A specific Legendary. While the drop rates on Legendaries don’t seem to be any better than gem chests, you’re guaranteed to get a specific one. Sure, you have to spend a little more, but your chances of getting Sheggra in the gem chest are (1/25)*(1/50)=1/1250 whereas in the event chest they’re just 1/50 if you’re buying the chest with Sheggra in it. Converting to gems, would you rather spend, on average, 12,500 or 750 gems on Sheggra?

That said, you have to be smart about when you buy them. There’s no better value in the game if you wait until it’s a week where the chest has both Ultra-Rares and a Legendary that you would love to have. And, of course, only if you’re prepared to buy in bulk.

2 Likes

Can be but the description (the three cards on the left) is totally misleading.
The current ones are: an Epic troop, Celestial Taitstone and others. These cards do not fit your “amazing deal”.
So for me, if devs don’t want to change the drop rates, they have at least to change the description (change the epic card with the ultra-rare one for example).
Else, they have to change the drop rate of the epic troop: when I see the event keys, I think about farming the epic troops not an ultra-rare one.

And, you assume that the legendary drop rate is the same than gem keys but we don’t know if the x4 bonus is applied or not for event keys.

Bought 3 sets of 10 event keys thanks to guild gem rewards, 3rd set got me 2 Silent Ones (which I’d been missing). I’ll likely keep this up each week if I’m lacking the specific legendary.