How are we all feeling about Gems of War now? Let’s review!

I agree, I like doing wars, and the new stuff as well, balances just need to happen here. A few things weee overlooked, and I believe can be addressed.

Hopefully sooner then later.

I think a game mode every three weeks is a good balance, no doubt about that. However I’d be more than happy if one of those was not Guild Wars.

How about what @Grundulum said, but along with keeping Guild Wars, they fix it.

1 Like

I don’t think that on PVP leaderboards are many bots. Most of the players that often make the leaderboards are known to me from global, forums, GW rivalry and so on. They’re just very dedicated and have fast teams. You can even shout to them on chat and they are likely to response. My wife once asked (on global 001) a player that she was racing for a 3rd place on leaderboard to: “go to pee or something”, because she wanted to catch up. The player was like “lol, ok” and then really went away for a time. Not a bot then :wink:

2 Likes

I play a lot less during Invasion and Raid mode weeks. There’s a lot less to talk about once teams are created within the first 30 minutes each week.

For me, both of those modes lack the creativity that Guild Wars typically has. (coming up with 6 unique defenses that actually work well on their defense day and actually win… and coming up with offensive teams that beat other defenses people set up). I could do without the BS luck/cascade that I or the AI may get, but its better than nothing.

Raid and Invasion are basically about as fun as the Dungeons are, only even less rewarding.

2 Likes

Not the top one hundred, I’m talking about all the players in between, some may be put in as fillers, not grinding too much but enough, to “fluff the numbers” so to say.

No way of telling or like it even matters, I just find it hard to believe that many people play gems of war.

3 Likes

I always found that silly and annoying. You can be 10 points off of Top 100 of PvP and be placed just outside of the Top 1000, as if that makes total sense.

1 Like

That sounds infuriating. Do you have a screenshot?

1 Like

This post, click on the little icon to take you up to it. I posted to show the number of players in the ranked pvp system. Ps4.

1 Like

It is possible. But as I said there are many people from different countries playing GoW so it may just mean they know English enough to build decks and compete but don’t feel comfortable to shout to others on Global or even Guild Chat. Silent grinders. I played like that too, at least at first. My writing improved during the last year and half so I am no longer silent (quite the opposite), but I still find the numbers quite believable when I think there have to be many more people like that. World is big :grin:

1 Like

Not on hand, but its not hard to replicate. The rank positions are total fluff until you get into the top 100 of PvP. Very noticeable when you’re a few hundred points away from Top 100… its almost as if you weren’t close at all.

2 Likes

You may be right, we’ll never know. Or like it even matters, Either way, it appears that a lot of people play gems of war.

Just a fraction come In these forums, like you said, many different countries play, so it may be a language barrier, unless their is another forum as well for other languages. They might not come here
just because they don’t understand.

Either way I think the devs are great at listening to us and I hope they do their best to fix a few things with all of our input here.

3 Likes

As things stand, for all its flaws GW is still my favorite event. I feel there’s a few main aspects about raids/invasions that make it a not-so-satisfying experience for me:

• We’re fighting teams with little variety, with (especially in raids) a very limited pool of troops available, making it repetitive.
  • Attempting to increase the difficulty by boosting stats doesn’t seem like a good solution. Battles are not actually much more difficult, they just take longer… besides the increased chance of some randomly frustrating event (devour, deathmark, unlikely cascade of death out of nowhere, etc) taking place and robbing you of victory, which doesn’t seem ideal unless your main goal is to grief your players.
  • Rewards for individual battles in relation to time spent are very lacking, as has been mentioned before.

If the difficulty increase was achieved by facing an assortment of teams with progressively better synergy with milder stat increases for the later stages, I think the new game modes would be much better… but I don’t think we’ll ever see such a change, since creating carefully crafted defense teams is much more time-consuming (and challenging) than picking an assortment of 5-6 random troops with 10-fold base stats and calling it a day.

8 Likes

Mhm… Perhaps they could take a good look at “griefing” teams in pvp. That’s a good way to learn how to make a one of your own :wink:

2 Likes

Here are my opinions, as diplomatic as possible.

GW. I will never understand this not being every week. So many people play this game for this mode only. I understand it can be stressful, but you do not have to play. If your guild requires it then take a vote and change policy. Take it seriously every three weeks and give yourself a break in between. No argument will ever change my mind. As it is now, you only get the rewards every third week, so giving me the option to play every week literally costs you nothing. It is extremely selfish to take my fun because you feel forced to do it.

Raids/invasions. I’m mixed on this. There is such a great game here…potentially. The first issue is they are exactly the same thing with the only benefit of them being separated is for the players to need to sink more gems. So there is one really cool game mode here. The issue past that is once you finish the ranks there is zero reason to ever do another match. We finished Wednesday, and going forward we will math out the minimum every member has to do in order to finish by Sunday, as there is no incentive to finish early. The leaderboard is a fools errand as you will spend way more resources than you ever hope to get back to win an orb. And yes, if you do that 8 times you get a mythic…that everyone else will own eventually anyways. So it’s really just ego, and if that’s your thing then I say great, enjoy. But for the rest of us it’s just a potentially awesome addition that is left empty with almost no per battle rewards and even less (when you factor in time) tier rewards. It’s a grind of uselessness. Now, up the rewards per battle, adding trophies and glory, and give us a reason to continue past the last tier. Do something similar to LT’s. The rewards can be similar as well. We don’t expect game breaking rewards…at least not the realistic among us…we just want something. This will also actually encourage a little more spending.

Gnomes. I think we all love the gnomes. I do wish the frequency was like the event was all the time, with less chance at big rewards. Then, during events you can up the reward chances. I think everyone can agree that it’s a little exciting when that little bastard pops up. I missed the initial rollout, but the event was the most fun, and the most I’ve played this game in months.

I’m assuming bounties will be similar to gnomes? If so then great, same notes as above. If not, then I hold out judgement until I see it.

The bottom line is you should want people to want to play your game. People that like GW should always have that option. People who want to hunt gnomes should as well. It is never, ever a good decision to take away anything from your players. Any good game designer will tell you this. You want lots of game diversity at all times to encourage everyone to always want to play.

The last thing I will point out is not so much a game issue as it is a dev issue. You guys have a very rich history of being secretive up until the last minute, then dumping huge changes on us and then not saying a single word for weeks. This is also the biggest gripe I have, and the reason I will uninstall your game. When you announced GW was being taken down to every third week, instead of coming out with a press release and explaining things, you just announce it and then bury your heads in the sand. At that point all we have is speculation which always leads to chaos and pissed off players. There is no reason to keep everything so secretive (some details, yes, but not entire new systems) and it is beyond unacceptable to go full radio silence like you guys do. I thought @Saltypatra was supposed to be the answer to that problem? When she does talk, it’s usually to tell us she has no information. I would call that a failure. I’m not putting it all on her, I’m sure she’s under orders…but you as a company need to re-evaluate your policy regarding info before and especially after a new update. I honestly believe that doing this could alleviate a lot of anger from players as it mostly stems from lack of understanding about what is going on.

I fell in love with this game like everyone else here. I have supported this game financially and all I ask is a little consideration from you guys. Pretend like you care a little.

Build the game your players want, not the game you want.

9 Likes

And yet, not a single player “took your fun” away. There weren’t a trillion threads screaming for them to make GW three times a week. The devs made that decision all on their own. And, I doubt very seriously that it was because the mode is stressful to some people. My guess is they did it to reduce gem rewards.

Are some people happy about the reduction? Sure. And, they have the right to like a change just as you have the right not to like a change.

10 Likes

The other reason is to limit the sense of obligation that people have to “do everything” every day. There was a lot of pushback with GW when it pushed people who were in organized guilds to play daily. I think they balanced that pretty well, with allowing battles to carry forward in the week and only giving daily war bonuses of a few seals and exp points, but making weekly rankings based on total score. In any case, if they keep piling on more things that “have to be done” (I know everything in this game is a choice, but there is a psychological reality here too), it leads to resentment and burnout.

As a serious, but still trying to be casual, player my daily chores consist of dungeons, daily tasks and GW battles (or now raid or invasions). Depending on the daily tasks, I can knock those down in 30-45 minutes most days, which feels reasonable to me. If raids were stacked on top of GW, I’d be over an hour for sure, especially since I now have 2 chores (GW plus either raid/invasion) that don’t combine well with daily tasks. I also need to chip away at weekly events and then try to accomplish whatever other goals I have (gold farming, trophies for my guild, arcane farming, etc.). I’m still hoping that bounties will not be yet another tacked-on mode that diverts me from other objectives, but my hope is faint.

Given that the devs decided to implement raids and invasions, it was the right choice to not run them concurrently with GW.

3 Likes

Your lengthy post contained several points, most of which I understand completely. Only the first paragraph was related to GW and it is in relation to that where I don’t understand why you reacted to Asha in such a hostile way.

Personally, I don’t mind GW, but for the guild I am in, where we score more than the rest of the guilds in our bracket combined and will take another 6 months to reach a bracket where we actually have competition, my personal performance is irrelevant except to the extent that we compete amongst ourselves for top scores and bragging rights. Yawn.

My viewpoint hasn’t changed anything, the devs have.

2 Likes

Just to clarify this, there actually were these threads, obviously not a trillion but enough to flood the first page with it for weeks, months even.
The people creating those apparently just grew tired of making them after a while, or adjusted and eventually realized they didn’t have to participate in GW despite their unjustified sense of obligation to do so.
Just because the flow of these threads has now decreased doesn’t mean it isn’t feedback the Devs felt the need to react to, justifiably or not.

1 Like

Exactly, as GW was meant to be a competitive mode the “daily obrigation” of playing five battles made sense, but as this proved to be an unpopular system the devs made a change based on the player’s wishes.

I have a question: Would you play GW every week without the rewards or bracket movement? Do you think it could work to provide you and others with a fun enviroment to test your skills even if only the third week would count?

2 Likes

I’m quitting as soon as this weeks GWs is done but if bounties are the most fun thing this game has ever had I might consider staying because I have had fun this week with GW back.

1 Like