Guild Wars - Sneak Peek I

I almost spilled my tea when I read it. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

so like… if someone wants to continue dropping for PtG to get one of each Mythic… there’s no reason to not reset it when they have one of each…

because that would happen once every… 2 or 3 years?

I was forgetting that PtG is a 30 day sub, and they are now releasing a mythic a month. If they keep this format then just guaranteeing a mythic you do not have will suffice because there will always be a new Mythic dropped while on your current PtG, but if they ever reach a stopping point with troops… THEN… :wink:

1 Like

I know we currently have the Event Keys, which basically are Kingdom specific Gem Keys. What if we have an Event Chest system where all of the regular (Gold, Glory, Gem, VIP) had a Kingdom-specific version? That way if someone wanted to chase commons (or VIP Mythic) during the appropriate Event Week they could do so.
Don’t know if we want to add other types of Event Keys though, might get too “cluttered” for lack of a better term. Perhaps replace the current Event Key drops with a new resource (Event Gems are already taken but you get the idea) that you can use to cash in for the appropriate level of Event Key you want. The higher the key level the more of that resource you need.

And perhaps this topic should be diverted to a new thread before we completely derail from Guild War discussion…

1 Like

Trimming down to the points I really like, and I’m a bit nervous by.

First, the communication. I enjoy my guild a great deal. In game chat is poor, and I really don’t want to have to end up on Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Discord, Whatsapp, etc, to enjoy Guild Wars. I know I miss out on a lot of the banter, because I won’t run Whatsapp, but I can deal with that. What I don’t want to see is the need to be going out of game for communication for the guild to be successful at Guild Wars.

Team diversity. I really do hope we will see much more team diversity. I like playing a lot of different teams. I like facing different defenses. With the Diversity comes the need to stay on top of troop balance even more.

2 Likes

One easy way to implement that is to add a “Kingdom Chest” button to the Kingdom screen (the screen with Explore, Quests, Challenge, etc). That brings you to a screen with Gold, Glory, Gem, VIP chests which require 2 keys to open, or double cost. So if you had 50 gold keys you click on “Silverglade” on the main map, click “Kingdom Chest” on the menu, click “Gold Chest” and open 25 of them which contain mostly Silverglade commons, rares, and the normal assortment of stones and other rewards. If you want more, they are 600 gold each. Likewise Glory Chest would be 40 glory each and Gem Chest would be 20 gems each.

Then anything in game that rewards an Event Key instead gives 2 Gem Keys and take Event Chest out of the normal line up.

I know I’d be willing to expend double resources for a more targeted style option. They would follow the same rules as current Event Chests, Legendary and Mythic are kingdom specific while others are “heavily weighted”. Could even make it 5x cost, while the Kingdom of the current event is only 2x so there is still incentive to wait for the kingdom to be featured before using.

Sorry for going so off topic! Reposted to new thread - Kingdom Specific Chests

13 Likes

[quote=“Esoxnepa, post:100, topic:20006, full:true”]First, the communication. I enjoy my guild a great deal. In game chat is poor, and I really don’t want to have to end up on Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Discord, Whatsapp, etc, to enjoy Guild Wars. I know I miss out on a lot of the banter, because I won’t run Whatsapp, but I can deal with that. What I don’t want to see is the need to be going out of game for communication for the guild to be successful at Guild Wars.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this. I finally had to give in and sign up for Facebook last summer so that I could communicate better with my Guild but I really would like to be able to keep the game inside the game, so to speak.

I would like to put my two cents in this very important discussion.

1. Allow players some additional venues to acquire missing cards, mostly the mythics. For p2p players, it might be good to have recurring featured week when a group of cards have higher drop rates than others in the same tier, or even drop exclusively. For instance, a horseman week when mythic drops are limited to one of the four horsemen. For f2p players, it might be feasible to allow a very small chance to acquire mythic and legendary cards through arena. I think it would only require a small modification to the current system.

2. We need to be careful about a crafting system, because it usually encourages more “bad” grinding, which we have plenty already. I am one of those that believes RNG makes a lot of games exciting to play. It is bad already you have to grind for something, worse when that is totally planned!

I much prefer grinding to the feeling that you have zero control at all.

4 Likes

I respect your personal preferences. But when you look at the the card game genre in general, there is a reason why designers choose to implement a large degree of randomness. It is no surprise that the gatcha system is so successful.

I love that idea! I knew some master of efficiency would flesh out this idea a bit more :slight_smile:

Offline collectible card games have inter-player trading and targeted booster packs as a mitigation for the randomness.

9 Likes

Literally took the words out of my mouth…

3 Likes

Troops and traitstones…

6 Likes

This ability alone would most likely guarantee another year+ of play out of me. I’ll let you decide if that’s a good or bad thing. :wink:

3 Likes

That is very true. My point is, many successful online card games have no trading system (for fear of abuse), yet still use a gatcha system, for instance, P&D. To put it bluntly, for many of us, a game should not feel like work. I understand many end gamers are completionist (it is one of the reason why they are end gamers), but there are a lot of people who play games because it is fun, and randomness is a big part of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this game. However, it has become mostly a collection game for me, and I do not have the time to grind for nothing. I love the idea of “something” that will allow players to build towards something else. Put a bit of strategy into it, and the older players who have everything, (or most of everything), will stick around for longer.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but the TIME I am willing to put into playing GoW is hinging on the success of Guild Wars. No pressure devs! :wink:

2 Likes

If they do add some sort of crafting system, it won’t remove the RNG elements. You don’t have to use the crafting system if you don’t want to use it. I know I would only use it sparingly since I prefer not to grind unless it is for something specific that I want that I haven’t been able to get using the regular path.

4 Likes

Point taken. :slight_smile:

But still a worry: This may be regarded as another “privilege” by self proclaimed “non-elitists”. :wink:

I have but one thought on all of this:

You match 'em, I whup 'em.