Guild Wars and sisters guilds

#AN ATTEMPT TO SUMMARIZE THIS THREAD BASED ON ONLY THE DEV’S INFO:

Point #1: Alliances are LEGAL in GW. The devs don’t even feel that it is viable to organize the guilds to do this. If two guilds manage to get 60 players from around the globe to change defenses, that might revert on their own anyway, to give each other a breather for 5 battles. Good on ya, mate!

Point #2: It’s not in the SPIRIT of Guild Wars. Unfortunately, this is an opinion and does not negate the FACT that (Point #1) Alliances are legal. However, in that it is the opinion of a dev, you have seen a reaction from Pro-Alliance players like myself choosing to respect it and not engage in pursuing Alliances.

Point #3: If we see it affecting results in a significant way. This is the piece that people have neglected in all of their arguments. As is common in debate, the arguments tend to run to the extremes. However if we look at the example that was ACTUALLY presented. Had Black Dragon and Mean Machine allied, it might have caused each of us to achieve 1-2 spots higher. Black Dragon still would not have won the Bracket and Mean Machine still would have placed in the middle. This whether you want to accept it or not is an insignificant difference in the eyes of the devs. If however, ALL 10 guilds in bracket 1 start running Solo Elspeth defenses and ALL of them are weekly getting PERFECT RUNS locking up the Bracket… THEN that would be AFFECTING IN A SIGNIFICANT WAY and the devs have already stated they would address it at that point.

With all of that being clarified and out in the open…

Perhaps it is time @Saltypatra to :lock: this thread? (Feel free to disregard this request, but I will leave it so as not to make those posters below look like crazy people responding to nothing! ;P)

5 Likes

If this thread gonna be locked, I want final words from @Sirrian . Thank you.

1 Like

Well said brudda and an excellent point!

1 Like

There is absolutely no reason to lock a thread where people are being civil and the opportunity for productive discourse is still present, regardless of how many posts feel like stubborn heel-digging.

8 Likes

Or maybe it is time for you to mute it? (friendly smile)

5 Likes

I meant absolutely no disrespect by requesting it.

Nor did I make a claim that anybody was being uncivilized.

Truth be told, I wasn’t sure if I should include the ping to lock the thread, because I don’t normally do that anyway! lol

I will happily remove it from my post if it will bring peace of mind… :confused:

1 Like

You did nothing wrong efh313, except from telling the Devs to lock it.

2 Likes

I agree😁 maybe 200 posts ago a lock was in order but now not so much i think.

2 Likes

Thanks @Eika, I feel better… :weary:

Oh and I would never DAIN to TELL a dev anything! :astonished:

It was merely a gentle inquiry… :innocent:

2 Likes

Reminds me of the breakfast club where bender says “AND YOU CERTAINLY WOULDN’T CONDESCEND TO SPEAK TO ANY OF MY FRIENDS…”

1 Like

Not quite the interp I was intending but it’s one of my favorite movies of all time so…

:heart: for you!

:wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I tend to do that on purpose to make the concepts I talk about clearer :wink:

EDIT: (And yeah, I know that is a veeery late reply, but my internet went on strike yesterday, so I only just now got the ping for it lol :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Almost a year later… Still no solution to this issue. Better luck next year. :crossed_fingers:

This must be more a pc/mobile problem because on console sister guilds is the least of our problems. No loyalty to a guild and people quitting the game is more problem on console.

It’s not a real issue.

I don’t know what to think of this post. Aren’t you in U1? Formerly know as Team Birch Bis until they did the “No loyalty” thing themselves split and renamed the Guild.

For the record I could care less. I just remember sending lots of players/recruits to that team back in the day that could not make it the primary Guild

IMO what’s already being done is what can be done.

As players, only 2 people outside of the devs know what teams fought. The attacker knows both teams. The defender knows 1 team. To everyone else, there is just a score and “collusion” looks identical to “a decisive victory”. If this were a fair game interested in preventing collusion, then everyone could see the matches. But many people at the top think the only way they can stay at the top is if their teams are secret, so that’s being respected. This is the key feature that enables collusion.

I’m assuming the devs can see what teams fought. It’d be kind of stupid if they can’t. I bet some of their time goes to looking at the top X% of GW battles and ensuring something stupid isn’t happening. It’d be stupid if they’re not. There are very obvious patterns that collusion would take and they’ve already busted a handful of guilds for doing it.

There’s no one clear way they can put a stop to it, though. They can’t watch every social network/chat program to see if guilds are coordinating. “Sister guilds” aren’t the only ones that can decide to collude. It would take a magnificent amount of effort to watch GW from top to bottom and find all collusion.

The best tool would be to make all team matchups public. Then it is guaranteed every instance of collusion would be found out by the community. But some of the people at the top believe, very strongly, only bad can come from public visibility. So in a way, they’re fighting to protect collusion.

If the devs had to detect all collusion, they’d be unable to do anything else. If you care about preventing it, ask that all GW matches be publicly visible. If you want to protect your secret sauce, enabling collusion is the cost.

There are a great deal of assumptions being made in this statement. From past drama over this issue, the devs haven’t given me a single reason to believe that they routinely look at GW scores to ensure fair play.

Also, what guilds did the devs bust for actual collusion not botting? Two guilds were called out in the past for collusion. However, that was brought out in a messy public thread. They weren’t busted by the devs.

Frankly, the integrity of scores in GW seems very low on the dev priority list to me. They don’t even care enough about GW to make sure inactive guilds aren’t preventing active guilds from making reasonable progress up the brackets. shrug

3 Likes

Memory is treacherous and perhaps I don’t remember right. This is part of why I don’t like “Oh, so and so said in a stream…” as a form of communicating with players and prefer short posts with actual quotes in them.

I still think, in the end, this is a problem that could be best monitored by the community if we could actually see what’s going on. But we can’t, so unless you manage to get someone to post a video confession to Youtube, it’s hard to prove. Screenshots are real easy to doctor:

I agree that more transparency in GW would go a long way.

Also, I hate vanilla ice cream. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like