Going solo with the princess

I agree with your diagnosis, but not with your prescription. Fizzbang’s essential aspect is her exploding; can’t remove that. The extra turn happens because she’s a goblin, so that part of her spell is safe also. That leaves only the buff to take away. She can still self-fill, but at least she can’t cause a chain reaction of stat growth like she does now.

With Wisp, you can’t take away the charm, or else you’d just have a differently-colored Sphinx (and not even that differently colored). You can’t remove the extra turn after the jumble or nobody would bother casting Wisp. Too dangerous. So that leaves only the jumble to take away. Charm+extra turn still seems pretty powerful for 9 mana.

2 Likes

Little princess either charmed them with her speed and dexterity or simply blew them up into pieces. I tend to go for the latter. :rofl:

I managed to solo Wisp-Wisp-Krystenax-Kraken, various types of goblin teams with or without Mab, countless dragons, even Kerberos-Spider-FG but then died to a simple team of four regular goblins. They managed to match some green twice and then clubbed her to death before she was able to blow up anything.

I don’t believe removing the buff will be enough as she will be able to continue to loop with Nobend… In fact, it will be worst as the fight will take ages…

As you said for Wisp, I don’t believe it will be enough to remove Jumble…

So my conlusion was/is to nerf extra turn: either by limiting the number of extra turns by turn or by putting frozen on the speller (or silence as said @Lyya) with maybe an increasing chance of 10% +10% by extra turn. And maybe the extra turn counter should be the same for all your troops…

Oh and I forget Stealthy is really a pain…

Its not the stat gain that allows her to loop forever without looking at the board, that just makes it slightly faster. It is a strong thing to have in combination with the explode and extra turn, sure, but its not the key factor. She would be way over the mark without it.

Primary mana with exploders is not the issue. Cascade mana is. If she doesn’t explode herself to full and doesn’t get a match 4 setup on the new board, the loop self breaks right there. Cascade mana is greater due to spikier cascdes in unity, match 4 surges, and more generous over 5 match calculation. In theory, given “stable” board drops, she casts once to partially charge the team and must use her extra turn to either gather her mana back or go for another troop. In practice, about 90% of the time, something cascades, leading you to another or self fill, for an infinite net gain unless you get really unlucky. I did just Fizziepops and Ragnagord on a team and on one instance I was able to get five casts of ragnagord and eight casts of Fizzbang in the same turn, Ragnagord alone cascading into an extra turn four times and Fizzbang cascading herself to full at least four times. Unfortunately, exploders have been kinda broken for so long that this will feel like the baseline and complain that exploders got nerfed because a troop was broken in other aspects, but honestly, she has just highlighted something that has been a problem for a while by making mostly favorable RNG always favorable.

For now, I propose give an extra turn if there were 13 or more green on the board before exploding. Stat gain no longer scales based on magic and is a small, fixed amount. Still allow her to work with setup, but you need setup and at least a modicum of focus to let it continue. As drafted, she is not even too reliant on green because you so can easily cascade green back on the board, and if it is on the bottom 2/3, cascade something else away, and continue casting.

Alternatively, another way to nerf her into the ground on defense would be to replace Stealthy with something else. Yeah, it fits, but gameplay first, then flavor. Without stealthy she is food to the thing put in the game specifically as an attempt to counter her race, and then the entire team is toast. I don’t know what the obsession is with marking strong support troops have stealthy and taking away most the counterplay you might have, but I wish it would stop.

Wisp should have been empowered and never had the charm. Different colored war sphinx argument aside, its role should have been to turn your bad starting board into a potentially good one and nothing else, not deal 60+ damage on one mana match with extra turn that allows him to refill himself to the point where two of them can kill a troop on the first turn taken and soften the rest of the team to a degree that they can be killed with the next spell cast while also filling that troop. Yes, this a a very limited role, but also a very useful one in some situations. The worst part about this troop is that it is only really deadly sometimes, it has to charm the right troops, line up the right mana to fill itself or another thing. So given a board that does not favor you and allow turn 1 counter play, a chance at you getting run over, and a chance at it being trivial without you being able to interact with how the battle is playing out in any meaningful way. And a link on a 9 mana troop that already starts with mana seems a bit unnecessary. And stealthy, so again, you can’t even target it. He can keep dispel and the 9 mana cost if he is going to keep the link, swift > empowered, remove charm, stealthy with magic heart or something useless. Alternatively, add charm immune to the game and give a few of the weaker charm troops the ability to target instead of random. Or a contrived counter that reduces the attack of everyone on your team to 0 with empowered (leshy is too slow and is immune to entangle himself if you traited him).

4 Likes

OK was entertaining this thread but I can see the way its heading.
Exploders don’t need a nerf. Your not guaranteed an extra turn with gorgotha, ragnagord e.t.c. its a roll of the dice. Either I will leave them a nice board with an extra turn or two or I will get the extra turns. Not always guaranteed a cascade to fill or lol refill your troops either. Lots of static boards.

An exploder who is guaranteed an extra turn though was always going to be a recipe for disaster. Nuff Said.

1 Like

i hope they think it through. because there is 2 major game situation here, general fast boom boom pvp/explore and high risk calculated lengthy guild wars.

it could change the troops from being potentially playable to another trash troop no one ever heard from again.

if the princess is nerfed, i’ll just go back to the usual pvp troops pool. if wisp gets nerfed, i’m only lose the sense of suspense. no significant downside to me. but to dev team that put all the effort into the troops, both art and codes, that got to mean something to them. it could be another bone dragon situation, after such a long time, they come with a solution, only to see bone dragon barely in play anymore.

They can just up the mana cost to 17. She does way more things than Sylvanimora who has 17 mana spell. Gives you enough time to fill mana before she can, and lessens the chance that she can refill herself with her own spell.

1 Like

I agree Wisp needs a mana cost of 17.

1 Like

Feels both like a pretty rough change, takes way to much to explain in terms of game rules. Besides, after 5 extra turns the opponent will find it next to impossible to recover, especially when the next 5 extra turns are just a single move away.

I suspect the only way to balance Fizzbang is to remove the explode component from her spell. Maybe change it to destroy, or even just remove green gems, scaling the buff component based on the gems destroyed/removed. Yep, that’s quite a nerf, it’s an Epic troop though, Godly troops are still a year away from getting introduced. Extra turn obviously has to stay, it’s the goblin signature, wouldn’t want to remove beards from dwarves either.

I think her stat gain is a massive issue. In GW today, my opponent had just one Fizzbang left.on the board. She looped herself about 5 times until she had 300 attack and 400 life & armour combined. She killed my top troop (which had 292 life from a previous devour) with a single skull match. Fortunately she got devoured the next turn, but she could have easily skulled her way through my entire team

What other support troop can do that? Even the mythic Queen Aurora can’t give herself life. Her stat boost is way inflated given everything that her spell can already do.

I don’t think that preventing her from boosting herself is enough, because more than one of her easily gets round that problem. Either remove it, make it apply to armour only, or turn it in to damage against a random troop.

Infernus is a mythic that explodes a little and does good damage, with a good chance of an extra turn thanks to firestorm. PF is an epic that explodes a good amount, does an insane buff and always gets an extra turn. It’s not right that the mythic is the less useful one despite costing way more mana.

4 Likes

Stealthy
/10char

1 Like

may i remind you are not suppose to play with only one troop? you are going against the spirit of the game!

jk. just remember this joke from before :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I understand her being a little overpowered. But why nerf it. The game has already overpowered cards (queen mab, pestilence, every cards that autoloop) that are still in the game without much changes so I believe balancing the game is not the priority here.

Anyway I wouldn’t touch extra turn, it’s a common Goblin trait and part of how they are played. Only the king doesn’t have extra turn.

1 Like

Incoming change: If you attack with a single troop, your attack team will be randomly exchanged with another of your teams.

2 Likes

Don’t work if she’s solo :wink:

Not “incoming” at all, it’s in place. I still have to understand how the ‘random’ other team is chosed. Maybe someone may try to set all their teams as one-card teams and see what happens… for science.

As for our fizzbanging princess: she at least is fun, and no, she doesn’t loop forever. She needs green to loop and AI is not that generous to give her all the green she needs all the time. I’ve beaten her, and I’m not that good a player.

If someone is handling nerfs, she should queue behind Mab.

And f someone is handling mana up-pricing, I’d say draakulis, expecially in this cascade-infested time.

It was a joke. I answered another joke.

Personally I think PF is top of the nerf queue.

Mab (legendary) can be countered with impervious, mana drain, stun or Amira (quest epic). Draakulis can usually be one-shot by Amira (quest epic), otherwise web, freeze and mana drain also work.

PF though? Only counter is your own PF goblin team or traited Mab (legendary). And from next week, it’s never been more difficult for new players to target a specific non-quest Epic troop.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have understood.

@Wiskeyjack
And PF can be contrasted by changing green into something other, or another PF, or other ways.
At the moment Mab defenses are a plague and Fizzbang ones still not. Let’s at least her glory week end before clamoring.

Other cards come to mind that are a nuisance, such as FG and Psion, not to mention some combo we all know and love.

On the other hand, Grapplepot has already been nerfed? Why?

Another, another series of solo dungeons.
Anyone else tried it?

1 Like