Gems of War Anniversary & Broken Spire Rework

Oh, I know why so much is broken this week.

Broken Spire. Duh!

(Couldn’t help myself, sorry…this week is wild.)

7 Likes

The number is in white ingame as well. The x7 boost ratio shown there does refer to the chance for an extra turn.
It is one magic per cast.

1 Like

I also got 10 today, I was just stating that during both new kingdom passes so far in the middle it changes from a max of 10 to a max of 9. Which causes everybody to waste a ton of time wondering where the 10th one is. I’d put money on it happening again during this kingdom pass.

1 Like

And don’t forget the other player friendly change to the maze banner no longer being +2 red and green.

14 Likes

Which must be a bug because they said it was intended to be as it was. :see_no_evil:

15 Likes

While they have tweaked this quest line, don’t forget it is still the tutorial quest for brand new players. There will be several battles with less than four enemy troops.

More exactly, it will happen during the vault event.
“Oh, we are sorry, the team has left for weekend already. It will be fixed as soon as monday.”

3 Likes

Only about 4 weeks to wait for that fail - 2nd December. With the amount of bugs when anything is released and hot fixes that take so long they’ve gone cold I think it time they stop releasing anything new for a good few months. Just run the standard stuff and concentrate on fixing the multitude of issues and cleaning up your processes to stop this complete mess.

3 Likes

BTW since you don’t actually play your own game and won’t know, Fire Lizard can be considered a nerf as going down to only 3 created gems kills any potential for a loop.

Yep it’s a downgrade on Fire Lizard. It was a nice troop early game and works in Arena with enough RNG to be fair.

Just replayed the quest, and I would say it’s better than what I expected.
The enemy troops fit with the story quite well, there aren’t out-of-place troops. For example, the skeletons in the second fortress were explained by the death of Luther’s men and Ettin’s necromancy. The introduction of pyggra is right when we enter the lava cave.
There are a few places where the enemy troops can be improved still, like initially there weren’t 4 troops. The banshee at the second giant statue, and night terror in the third giant statue were unexplained.
But overall I think it’s a much better story comparing to the two previous legend reborn. I don’t remember the original story since it was too long ago for me. It could be simply because the original story was better written in the first place, since this is the first kingdom, or the story rewrite did a better job. Nevertheless I’d like to appreciate your effort.

I appreciate that you are changing some old troop as well. The attempt itself is already a very good thing. It shows that you are trying to improve the game.
The actual changes might require some tweaks, like Fire Lizard seems to be weaker. Ettin is quite strong, but I like it, it’s OK to have some strong low rarity troops like Thrall and Leprechaun. Sheggra is also improved.
Stone giant’s spell description still says the damage scales with gems “removed” instead of “destroyed” after spell change.

Some more changes in Broken Spire that I want to see:

Make the Warlord Hero class stronger. It’s currently one of the worst class. The fact that it’s giant makes it impossible to get half mana start now, and not many troops in this kingdom work with it. Maybe change it to Elemental?
Slight buff for Infernus.

Also I wish there are some story follow-up regarding the betrayal of Knight Coronel and what happened to Queen Ysabelle after we got her Sheggra’s heart in the Sword’s Edge story.

3 Likes

And this rework took you so much? Hahaahahaha

hay guyz this seems liek a reully good deal amirite?!

A TEN DOLLAR VALUE!

FOR A WEAPON I ALREADY OWN!

:face_with_head_bandage:

8 Likes

Note that this update is concurrent with Switch – yay, our first “Legends Reborn” event ever!

Don’t forget Broken Spire is special for being literally the first questline in the game, you must complete it to open up the game at large. So the small enemy teams at first isn’t much of a problem.

At “low level”, the ability to set the entire enemy team on fire is a huge thing, even if it doesn’t loop anymore. Fire Lizard was one of many troops infamous for its ability to loop itself – great when it works for you, a pain to work against (and remember this is a very early game troop to acquire, where even one Extra Turn is very powerful and you don’t generally have access to Freeze to shut it down).

Dimetrexia is still crying herself to sleep in a corner … but at least now she’s got an entire faction (Fire Rift) to keep her company.

(Seriously, after creating one faction featuring a 25% chance per turn per troop to create one Burning Gem, you now introduce single troops with a 100% chance per turn per troop to do the same? I get that this is not the Faction Legendary’s signature trait but it still just feels wrong. What happened?)

I always got an impression of this troop being paired with Red Mana users (making the gem removal quite counterproductive) so this is also a huge buff, especially since it’s Destroy instead of Remove now.

Barrier’s good. Fireproof’s good for thematic reasons.

My first memorable experience with Barrier was during one of my first Gnome Vault battles, where it was reduced to my lone Spell-Paw vs. Cedric … and I won. It took almost half an hour but I just focused on mana control while the Barriers soaked up the occasional skulls.

5 Likes

I feel bad for all the new players who are going to experience their first losses against the Ettins in story mode. Hopefully they aren’t empowered yet at that level?

:rofl: I’m already on level 12 of the broken spire event and I’m loving it cause its sooo easy when You use Umenath as first position and then use slayer class giving bleed to every enemy troop killed.

Yep. Same here. I don’t understand why that offer was shown to me 3 times in a 2 hour span this morning. Sloppy programming.
:unamused:

1 Like

This feels correct, and Empowered is usually a 3rd trait (not active in cpu teams below ~Lv.18), but I can’t exactly confirm. Let me consult some sources…

• Initial Sheggra boss battle
  • appx. April 2022 (note the random Bomb Gem drop, indicative of Adanian Reactor campaign)
  • Enemy team Lv.7, no active traits (not even Sheggra!)
1 Like

It’s fair, look at its 3rd. Trait.

Pretty interesting update. Gonna avoid Fortress gate in Arena, but Ogress buff is amazing.