Gems of Streaming

Are the class previews the only time anyone on the staff uses a new class prior to release?

7 Likes

They have lives outside this game. No time to play test. Thatā€™s what weekend events are for. And also, the class works perfectly as is.

And who in their right mind would ever stop at just one fajita?

1 Like

Many games have playtesters for new content. Tacet is one for this game.
I am a playtester for the alpha build of Torchlight 3.
The function of playtesters is to try out new material/games.
Provide feedback to the devs as to how well the new material works, find bugs, make suggestions as to how to improve the game, etc.

Heā€™s a beta tester.
He gets the exact same access as we do for things like new classes, events, troops etc.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::ok_hand:

Chunky speaks the truth.

3 Likes

The design team plays with the new classes before release when they are balancing them. They go through a few iterations.

2 Likes

Perhaps a new requirement be that they play the new classes soberā€¦?

8 Likes

I think almost everyone is curious what will be the next week guild event.

1 Like

<Crystal Ball>
Iā€™m seeing an Invasion, with Sifu Yuan as featured Siegebreaker. Squinting a little I can also see some rather confused sales person who just canā€™t figure out why event shop purchases suddenly plummeted to a historical low.
<\Crystal Ball>

1 Like

Because of the event spoiler?
Weapon spoiler says the weapon is also from Zhul Kari. Conflictā€¦

Because it fits best into the overall design. Invasion is based on tribes. Thereā€™s now a dedicated Siegebreaker for each tribe. A second round of Siegebreakers would greatly trivialize Invasion events.

Tribe based Invasion weapons (spawn gems of two colors, boosted by tribe) were only introduced fairly recently, Iā€™d expect each tribe to still receive one. Besides, you can only have one weapon in your team, so they could even run a second round in a year or two.

Not necessarily. We saw three Siegebreakers total during the Knight week. Overall, since youā€™re mainly relying on the other troops of that tribe as support, having multiple Siegebreakers essentially comes down to a matter of personal preference on which one you want to use.

If they add a new Siegebreaker, some people may not purchase it, but others will sink Gems purely because they want the newest troops ascended.

1 Like

For kingdom power I agree with Ericā€”if itā€™s new content, people are going to buy it whether they need it or not.

And letā€™s be real ā€” endgamers never need a siegebreaker to win an event, or to even beat it most efficiently. Most weekly releases are already filler, and people buy it anyway

1 Like

This is because every single troop that is released (minus Shentang and Sin of Maraj, who are the last two yet to receive Hero(ine) classes) holds a kingdom star captive to endgamers, ignoring other progression walls, such as faction pets.

Endgamers donā€™t buy troops because they are good, they buy them because the Kingdom Power system post 10-stars mandates Mythicā€™ing every single troop that comes out on their release week (good luck otherwise as there are 700+ troops now and growing) to keep up with Kingdom Power creep.

6 Likes

I have some little things to say about Invasion on stream. <3

2 Likes

Saltypatra? More like Salt-tease-patra.

(A recap from someone who can watch the stream would be much appreciated!)

3 Likes

Watching the stream vod, its quite interesting to see how animated Salty is at 2x speed.

Im also impressed it took a little over 30 minutes to beat that first battle :male_detective:

2 Likes

Salty stream is always the best to watch. I always look forward to it.

1 Like

Nothing concrete was revealed. There are no plans to add new invasion troops; instead, the way that invasions work/are played will be changing in the very near future.

Just speculating, but it seems like weā€™ll probably have a repeat invasion next week, and a patch with invasion changes will arrive before the following invasion. Kind of weird, but they may have slightly mistimed the patch or run out of time.

5 Likes

Two of those three had Knight as secondary tribe. I somehow canā€™t shake the feeling that they really intended each Siegebreaker to only have one tribe, they just couldnā€™t fix those that slipped through quality control. :slight_smile: