Gems of Streaming

4.8 ReAx (thanks again Lyrian for the summary)

I’m cautiously optimistic about the new event system. It should hopefully do away with in-guild pressure to participate in every event, as the mix of more individual events and an overwhelming number of team events may make participation in every team event unfeasible.

More in-game lore is good. It was kind of silly that you had to be on the forum to get any sense about what each character’s backstory was.

Event medals are an interesting power creep. Hopefully Medal of Aranaea gets buffed, it would be totally obsolete in view of these new medals (unlike the medals of Gaard/Yasmine, which still would have some niche value).

Hopefully the combination of significant player restrictions and boss traits means we are getting away from stat scaling as a way of providing difficulty. Most scaling content is really random and boring in GoW.

Also hoping that the new medal loadout system leads me to care about it a bit more. It’s currently too much work for me to care to optimize my medal loadouts for each team/game mode.

2 Likes

The codes have an available amount of redeems, and are typically redeemed within five minutes. They are used for the people that are active in chat.

Regarding the boss traits: from what I hear, these are special traits that can only be seen via the troop’s spell card, correct? And there is no way to see if there’s a boss trait just by looking (without clicking on the enemy)?

I think Salty said they tried to add the trait to the card without tapping it, but it was too cluttered. My question is, why not use some sort of symbol rather than another trait image? Put a ribbon on the card or something, or give it a border… making it hidden behind a tap isn’t intuitive.

2 Likes

No, that’s too late, it has to be earlier. The new event starts on the 16th, the update has to be out in the week before that (before Friday) for it to go smoothly.

During the stream I suggested the use of an icon of some sort. They said it was a good idea but that there’s not enough time to include it in 4.8
Possibly down the road.

That seems like a really simple addition… Granted, I know absolutely nothing about development. Either way, it certainly seems like it should have been brought up earlier in the process. Hiding a trait behind a click (not even on the trait card) just doesn’t seem user-friendly to me.

Not a massive deal in the long run, just bugs me a bit, lol

that’s if everything goes according to plan murphy has a way of showing up when you least expect him and when your least what him to

I don’t see my favorite feature on the list for 4.8, sadly:

• A promise to release two whole consecutive weeks of troops and events that don’t require a patch.

I don’t want to make cheques you can’t cash. :stuck_out_tongue:|

(I’m joking! … or am I?)

Thanks for sharing you thoughts.
Personally, I don’t expect Dev will make pure faction any easy. It will hurt either gold or gem income. What I wished was that we would be allowed to use the sigils to pass the level we already cleared before during Tuesday event. So it will cost more gems than now to finish level 500 faction, but player can save a huge amount of time. It’s a win-win situation.

This one feels like a Bad Idea™. Being restricted to one preset role (e.g. “Generator” or “Support”) doesn’t really allow any reasonable team building, it’s like trying to run an adventure party with healers only. I could possibly see something like “Human Generator from Sword’s Edge” working for some non-competitive 24 hour fun event, being forced to play such teams for a whole week is likely going to be highly frustrating.

5 Likes

Given how, um, inconsistent troop role assignments seem to be, there is probably a lot of wiggle room even in an event that restricts by troop role.

5 Likes

It’s so hard not to take the bait, I’ve deleted and edited and all I can say is “ignoring me” would have made me less angry than this flippant response.

• You don’t allow players, even beta testers, to test troops, so you can’t make any claims about their effectiveness vs. yours.
  • Players are demonstrably finding bugs quicker than your team, and the team gets a head start.
  • Players are more invested in finding these bugs than devs, because players are incentivized to promote fair and correct play whereas devs are incentivized to release content on a schedule.
  • I interpret this as an attack on my abilities as a dev, whether you intended it or not.
  • Neither one of us wants this conversation to continue, so don’t try to downplay what players are doing to save face. Put the cheque on the table and we’ll cash it.
6 Likes

While I’ve thought of various sarcastic responses, I’ll be straight here.

This was an unprofessional response. Based on the past couple years, it has been clear that hitting deadlines has been more important than a quality product based on your previous work.

While you expanded the beta pool, don’t spit on us while denying them the ability to test, you know, all the buggy stuff, which is everything they can’t test until release for everyone.

I’ve read the various incarnations of this post as you wrote, edited, and then deleted them. I think this is about the most neutral tone you could strike while still conveying your message. :clap:

Edit to add: This does highlight the double standard that devs on the forums are held to; it is much more acceptable for regular forum-goers to be rude (intentionally or otherwise) than it is for developers. I shouldn’t be surprised to see the occasional slip-up, but I still am. (And if I’m being honest, Salty slipping up like that happens less frequently than issues with released content.)

Wait, what? Maybe I’m missing something here, I read the response as “Look, we all know our QA is a recurring disaster, I wouldn’t even dare to promise you two days without any critical blunders”. Which actually feels quite accurate and refreshingly honest.

4 Likes

In the US (possibly preaching to the choir, here), the phrase “don’t write a check your butt can’t cash” almost always applies to the other party making claims they can’t achieve. Re-reading it, Salty’s intended meaning was likely more along the lines of “we don’t want to promise anything we can’t deliver”. This would definitely be less inflammatory, and an unfortunate collision between phrases with similar wordings.

3 Likes

I was making a joke at our expensive, not at the expense of any players. I apologise if that didn’t come across, and I thought you would have understood my intentions better seeing as I do poke fun at us every now and then.

I was saying it in the vein of, “I don’t want to make promises we can’t keep,” but did it in a cheeky and fun way. Or so I thought! I will attempt to not make jokes of this nature in the future, as I don’t want to cause anyone distress or be misinterpretted.

So, to be absolutely clear, I was not trying to offend anyone, or “spit” on you. In fact, I am surprised that my comment was taken in that manner, especially considering the nature of my job. I’m feeling a little hurt to be hoenst with you, and I hope that you see now that this was a misunderstanding.

10 Likes

Grundulum’s making me think there could be a difference in how the phrase is used between our countries, and given that plus this discussion I’m cool. That’s why I kept coming back and editing it to try and emphasize more “I feel like you told me this…” than “I’m going to be angry”.

I could descend into how I read it (the wording is strange to me) but I think it’s more in line with this thread and my current feelings to say instead it’s more fun to talk about feelings than act on them and easier to clean up, this is a thing I’m still learning.

I read a summary of the stream, I’ve been way too busy lately to see it. 4.8 sounds interesting, the way I interpret the new events sounds like it could bring us a lot more variety per week than the events we have, while also letting the devs avoid some of the less fun matchups we’ve been subjected to.

The part about the new event-specific medals was so weird I want to play with it to see how it feels. I tend to set high expectations if I set expectations at all so instead I’m just going to see what I get and set my expectations based on that.

I’m nervous about the plans to have more weekend events. I feel like those are the ones players resent the most because that’s the most precious time slot in terms of scheduling. But like the medals, that’s going to hinge mostly on how the time/reward ratio plays out. My cynical guess is it will be “slightly fewer rewards for the same effort” as that seems to be the pattern. But as I’m about to be devoured by Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I’m not sure I’m going to be particularly bothered.