Game lags when accessing Troops and other menus (Fixed in 4.2)

That mean we will need to reboot console every 30 minute for another 2-3 months.

There are some improvements to the issue when accessing menus that will go into the game with the next update, 4.0.

Otherwise, this fix is out of our hands regarding an exact ETA. Depending on the severity of your issue you may not need to reboot the console, only restart the game.

1 Like
  • xbox one, around 400
  • Playing for 2 - 3 hours at a time, usually I start playing and just jump in with little breaks for tea in the process etc.
  • Opening troops menu. First time - it freezes, next I can open troops menu multiple times without issues. Same goes for going back to map from long session in pvp (10+ fights). Same thing when going back to the map from explore (20+ fights)
  • 4x
  • Every day now, each time I play longer as stated above.
  • Sugar is a poison lol :slight_smile: That money would be better spent on souls/traitstones etc :wink:
1 Like

Nope, 4.0 didn’t help out at all at least on Xbox. So all the lag is Unity game engine fault?

@UKresistance, further fixes are coming with 4.1 to help mitigate this issue. You have posted about this in several places, and we have commented before. We are doing what we can to fix this, and we understand your frustration, but there is nothing more we can say or do at this time.

5 Likes

OK, so how much has this been resolved in 4.1? We were told great improvements in 4.0 also.

And I posted twice, not several. My first post was closed.

Continuing the discussion from Unity still causes unreasonable lag that Unity is unable to fix so Still NOT solved:

The fix in 4.1 is reduced lag when opening the Troops menu.

Regarding the continuation of this discussion, to clarify, I don’t think there’s anything else we can say.

The issue is caused by the game pulling information when accessing certain menus and performing other standard tasks. This is different depending on the account and can be worsened with more active players or players with huge quantities of Troops/resources, so the improvements may not have had a large impact on you. As this is an issue with the way Unity works the team has taken measures to improve to the problem to the extent that they can.

8 Likes

giphy%20(68)

3 Likes

Well, I guess no more complaints until 4.1 hits. Thanks for the additional info, but it can’t be caused by too many resources (50M gold or glory). Too many troops/pets/weapons graphics when the menu opens due to a memory leak sounds plausible.

PS

I got mad when Salty laughed off the issue her last stream.

This is … totally still a thing. I get it every day I click on the “Edit Teams” button or similar. Gems goes to “not responding” and makes me wait. Usually 30-60 seconds, about 3-4mins this time.

4 Likes

i 2nd this. from the main screen entering the troop menu the load time i would not call fast but it much better than before. However, using the edit team button from a pre-fight menu the load times are as long as ever

This is still a regular issue on PS4 and you don’t even have to be on long before it starts. I guess it is another issue that will never be fixed :-1:

The devs have stated what the issue is this is not a Gems of War developer issue.

This is do to a memory issue in the Unity engine. I assume they have been in discussion with them on this matter. Also fixing memory issues with engines is a very deep complex process that can take time, we just need to be patient as it is out of their hands at this time.

Just to provide further information on this issue, we finally got the response from Unity that the bug was fixed in a later patch. We have updated to this Unity version for 4.2, and from our internal tests, the Troop Menu lag should no longer occur.

16 Likes

Any idea why was this so hard to reproduce in-house initially?

:slight_smile:

I mean, I’ll say what you left dangling as implication:

I don’t think any of the devs play this game extensively outside of testing. They might fire it up on break and play a couple of matches, but if they’re like me, when they do that they’ll think, “Oh, I should be debugging/testing this {new feature} instead of just playing around.” So they do that.

The last app I worked on was an in-vehicle GPS navigation tool. We were all encouraged to install it on a device and drive around with it as our navigation tool. We found a lot of bugs that way that we’d have never stumbled upon in the building with GPS simulators. Now I work on an API for my company and this kind of practice (called “dogfooding”) is built-in: if I get a new request I’m encouraged to show how I can use the current API to solve it instead of writing brand-new, potentially buggy code.

I wish the GoW devs rotated a “play day” and assigned a 3-4 hour session to a dev on that day. The objective on that day would be, “Try farming traitstones or trophies like an endgame player for 2-3 hours. See if that works.”

I think devs should have to face a situation that players might have to face. Here’s one: "You’ve had a busy week, it’s Sunday morning, and if you can’t get 200 more trophies by 3PM you miss guild requirements. Also make sure to spend 15 sigils in the event, and consider doing your daily delves, tasks, the bounty event, dungeon, and don’t forget to wash behind your ears. The reason I say this is most “minor issues” are ones that cost a player time when that player is in a hurry.

Instead, I think they face much more simplified requirements like, “Make sure the weapon you are working on works on two or three teams in four or five matches.” That just isn’t sufficient for the number of interactions that can happen in GoW. It’s not good enough dogfooding!

So yeah. Devs should get a “play day”. Maybe let them spend it at a pub or something. Slightly-drunk to moderately-drunk play surfaces some errors, too :wink:

5 Likes

Cannot agree with you more.
I have a strong feeling that GoW devs very often do not understand why end-gamers are complaining because they simply play too little of their own game and do not encounter many situations which are quite common for end-gamers.

1 Like

I think Slypenslyde hit it on the head: the devs are so busy developing the game that they don’t have the desire to play it as much as end-game players do. So they miss out on some of those experiences and lessons that hours upon hours (frankly, an embarrassing and potentially unhealthy amount) of playtime impart.

Edit to add: I don’t necessarily see this as a bad thing. Developing games probably isn’t a simple 9-to-5 job. I know Sirrian and Nimhain have been in the office faaaar outside typical business hours. It would surprise me greatly if the devs wanted to spend what free time remained playing the game they already pour so much of their life into.

This is why I think it should be a once-a-week rotating thing. Technically it would be “work time”, but that dev’s job on that day is “play GoW like an endgamer/midgamer/newbie”. (In fact, they probably shouldn’t be able to interact with the ticket system except as a player. That means filing bug reports on the forums or in Zendesk, as a non-dev account so they don’t get special treatment.)

If it’s meant to be “in your free time” then it’s just asking for unpaid overtime. It worked on my team because the only logical time to use our app was when I was not at work. I don’t want them working unpaid overtime. Even when it’s voluntary, I don’t think people do their best work in those circumstances.

In this particular circumstance, the resolution of this issue didn’t depend on our ability to reproduce it. We had a clear idea of what the issue was caused by and how to resolve it (waiting for the Unity fix). We were able to reproduce it with some accounts in the office.

1 Like