Even higher reliance on Valkyrie come next patch, healthy?

This is my current understanding:
Sirrian explained that in the next patch they are not raising the universal soul cap. So, it is still 40. Necromancy will be reduced from 50% to 25%. However, if you have a troop with Necromancy in the battle, that 40 cap becomes 50 cap within that battle. In other words, the soul cap will not be raised unless you have the Necromancy trait.

Therefore, Valkyrie will once again outshine TDS in soul production because she has Necromancy and can produce souls with her spell.

2 Likes

I agree with @Lyya, I would like to see troop-specific soul generation go away entirely.

I don’t mind the Necromancy skill but I’d like to see it applied to Souls in a somehow similar way to Gold. Gold buffers like Apothecary for example, give a bonus to an already large amount, so you end up with 1250 gold instead of 1000 for example. The larger the base number, the less significant the bonus really.

The real problem is that 25% on top of 50 souls is orders of magnitude more significant than 25% on top of 1500 Gold.

This isn’t going to decrease reliance on Valkyrie at all, IMO because none of the other Necro troops synergize really well with blue or green teams. People aren’t going to ditch Khorvash for example to add Aziris, they’re going to keep Valk to generate the blue.

other necro troops arent going to be used unless they synergise with a souls generating troop (or have it)

but i do have high hopes in necromancer actually

1 Like

It was stated that the base # of souls you can get in a match is going from 40 to 60. there are a number of screenshots, take a look at Tacet’s video.

Currently I recieve 14souls base without valk in pvp, 140 with valk. post patch I will be able to get up to 264souls each match, this makes having valk almost 20 times as good as not using it.

these are real numbers btw, I get 3.50 multiplier on souls in pvp battle, x1.25= 4.3x (approximately). Therefore I get over 260 souls from a single match post patch, with probably around 3 casts of valk.

This is based off all information we have at this time.

the same is true if it is calcuated the other way:

60 base souls x1.25=75 souls x 3.5 (multiplier from bonuses) =262 souls.

315 if I use 2 valks or two troops with necromancy.

Thats not how Merchant works, though, and I highly doubt that is going to change. Merchant will more than likely still only work on in-battle gained gold, with the added benefit in the future of also raising the in-battle gains cap. So rather than looking at 1000 vs 1250, you’d be looking at 100 vs 125, which is then added to your post battle rewards (eg., the amount shown on the PvP selection screen), the total of which is multiplied by your difficulty/armor/VIP multiplier.

Merchant isn’t relevant one way or the other, because the thing that is is buffing (in battle gains) is a small percentage of what you gain total (in battle + post battle gains). In the case of souls, there just are no post battle gains (except in the case of new challenge stars), and in battle gains are most likely either 4, 6 (necromancy without valk), 24-34 (TDS in a dragon team) or 40 (2 cast valk earning at least 12 souls/cast, usually need to clear a PvP, or TDS in a non-dragon team), depending on which troops are used. With the change to necromancy, unless there are a ton of generators added or significant baseline increases, we’d still be looking at 4, 5 (necromancy without valk), 24-34 (TDS in dragon team), 40 (2 cast valk earning 14 souls/cast, TDS in a non-dragon team), and 40+ (2 casts of valk earning 16 souls per cast - mythic/20/full 5*s and statue bonus, more than one necromancy with 2+ valk casts, 3+ casts of valk earning 11+ souls a cast, TDS shoehorned into a necromancy team). If existing generators are buffed “a little”, we might see some base 10-12s in there, but nothing near the amount you’d need to take advantage of a raised cap.

This is old information. It was later confirmed by Sirrian that the caps only raise if you have the associated merchant/necromancy trait, and confirmed by Nimhain that the numbers shown were generated before Necromancy was reduced from 50% to 25%, which is why the cap was shown as 60 and not 50. Valk will be worse at two casts unless you have maxed out magic kingdoms/mythic ascended/and magic statue bonus, but better for most people by the third cast except at super low end. In most cases, it will be a wash unless you are actively trying to farm souls, in which case single-shot valk is just worse. Meanwhile, baseline gains are still super low, and theres no other “best” option replacing valk.

Actually, there is something I haven’t seen anybody consider yet. I don’t believe it has been stated yet if the trait will continue raising overall gains by 25%, or will be changed to only affect the cap. The screenshot in question shows a 1/60 on the counter, with two missing troops on the opposing side. I assume this was probably a mockup anyway, because it should have shown at least 2 with two kills, but how would a fractional soul be represented on the counter in the first place? If Necromancy ends up doing nothing for actual gains but only raises the cap, it will end up being an even bigger hit to overall production, unless you actively loop to generate your souls. If baseline increases and more generator options are coming, this would make sense, but if the generator options don’t hit the cap, it will all be pretty much pointless.

2 Likes

My means may have been off but the result is the same, wouldn’t you agree? My point was ultimately that changing Necromancy really accomplishes nothing. There’s still going to be one or two troops everybody uses.

Souls need to be unbundled from troops. Necromancy ultimately needs to work like Merchant in that sense. Some troops give a modest bump but no troops outshine everything else by a ratio of 8:1 or even more.

1 Like

didnt realize that the screenshot was showing 50% increase, that makes it go from 40 to 50 base as stated. That still goes from 140 to 175 each match. That isn’t helping the situation any. The only way I see this working to benefit players is a base increase in souls paired with difficulty…

aka, normal would be like 10 souls a match (of the 40 max). Higher difficulties could go all the way up to 40 at warlord 4. You could leave necromancy as is, allowing a person playing valk to have a slightly higher cap, but it wouldn’t be mandatory. Also it would make troops that have necromancy not be useless without other soul generators.

You could change ranked pvp to yield 20 souls (first tier), 25souls (second tier), and 30 souls (hard tier). Casual pvp could be like say 15 souls base. This would make all soul generators useful but narrow the gap by a lot.

That would mean if I compete at the high end of pvp I can get 105 souls each match without using valk. That sounds fair, and it would yield as much as 175 with one or two valk casts. This would still make valk relevant but it would be about twice as good, not 12 times as good…

1 Like