Dungeons , get real

I think the new dungeon mode is completely bogus as well. For a long time I’ve been wanting a new dungeon system. There are so many things they could have done to make dungeons engaging, fun, and rewarding.

This pick doors system is very basic and uninspired to say the least.

The small rewards and time gating is very expected of them, yet still disappointing.

1 Like

My 2 cents worth for getting Dragonite in the Dungeons:
Perfect Run: rewards as normal.
1 Trap: 30 dragonite.
2 Traps: 15 dragonite.

As it stands now, when (which has been always) I hit a trap, I have little reason to do any fights. I have plenty of jewels, diamonds, shards. I may click on all the boxes to find a descending stair, but no incentive to do a battle after a trap is found.

1 Like

Math geeks: How much would the % for perfect run be if there just were 1 trap?

So here I am without a perfect run since the start of the new dungeon system and I am just baffled (once again :grin:) by the level of frustration included in this design.

Considering the numbers I read in various threads, it seems, that dragonite also increases with the dungeon level. Is the formula 80 + 2*dungeon level correct? I´ll assume it is… So the maximum for a perfect run would be 120 dragonite. Further assuming, that in the long run everyone will have their dungeons on level 20 and combining this with the chance of 10% for a perfect run this would mean, that players will average an amount of 12 dragonite per day.

Now, what I REALLY don´t understand: Who came up with the idea, that you´ll get a huge amount of dragonite for a perfect run or nothing whenever you trigger a trap? If players would be awarded 5 dragonite whenever they beat all 3 dungeon battles and the reward for the perfect run would be reduced to a maximum of 70 dragonite, absolutely nothing would change in the long run, players would still have 12 dragonite per day on average. But I think, the whole system would be much less frustrating, because you get a small amount every day and a bigger boost from time to time instead of nothing most days and a huge amount on rare occasions.

From dev point of view, they wouldn´t give away anything, because for people refusing to buy additional dragonite with 300 gems each day it would still be an average of 3.5 years to get all the dragons etc… But from player point of view it would be much less frustrating and maybe even a bit motivating. But I guess, motivating players is not the main target of this new feature - once again :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I use the same pattern every day and have yet to get a perfect run. It would be nice to get a little pity prize, as others have said it feels pointless the minute you hit a trap. A small reward per progress level would be great!

Keep in mind, that would about triple the Dragonite payout over time. Not necessarily a “bad” thing, of course, but we’re not the ones deciding how difficult it “should” be to acquire a Mythic troop. (Right, Drenza? Dawnbreaker? etc.)

Hi,

I’m sure the devs don’t like the way I think at this point, but I would just like to remind them this very simple thing.

The Dungeon is one of the first things done on a new day of Gems of War as a fast to do daily thing. Its a good idea not to start the player’s day feeling annoyed/agitated from constant failed Perfect Runs over and over… and over and over and over, unless the dev team thinks that pissed off players lead to positive spending habits.

Jokes on them, I’m already buying those 300 gem Dragonites regardless of the outcome, so the annoyance is adding nothing to the experience.

5 Likes

@Jeto

Thanks for that update. I think you need review this.

I showed in the s/s thread that I was 0-28 over 4 accounts. I moved house yesterday and was unable to log. I did manage to do today’s dungeon on 1 account but can’t do the rest. That fizzled out so 0/29.

I’ve lost interest.

Is that working as intended, as to me the odds are too weighted against the players, even in a game where odds are so low for most things. I’m not interested in opinions on low sample size or take more time, wait it out. If the odds were even say poor, I’d expect say 3/29 runs being perfect.

I’ve now reached the point where the content is useless if it is so poorly weighted against.

So I’m of the opinion we need some kind of boon that grants you a block on a trap, or a jump, like a fireball scroll. I’m totally open as to what is considered, but wouldn’t want yet another gnome adding to diminish the gnome pool.

Actually there is a solution. Add Dragonite to the treasure gnome drop table and remove two minor trait stones as a reward. Lower odds of it dropping if you want.

6 Likes

its not even available on the switch so switch players can’t even experience it to know.

To be persnickety, if you go by the assumption that a “perfect run” is a 1-in-10 thing, the odds that somebody goes 0-for-29 is roughly 4.7%, or a little worse than 1-in-21. Which is to say that it’s somewhat unlikely, but it’s not umpteen standard deviations out on the probability curves.

(If I’m doing my probability theories correctly, the odds of going exactly 3-for-29 using the same 90%/10% split is roughly 24%.)

I’m finding this whole process frustrating as well. I think I’m 0-for-9 at this point, and I think I’ve only even gotten to two boss revelations without a trap room twice in that entire span. So I know I’m also falling on the unlucky side of the spectrum. (On the bright side, I’ve found descending stairs twice in the past three days.)

And I’ve seen the suggestions here and there about increasing the supply of Dragonite. Which I expect to happen naturally as time passes, though likely not quick enough for the most impatient and vocal people here. At the same time, I recognise that if the supply of Dragonite were significantly increased now, for example by granting some “pity” Dragonite for imperfect runs or by having Treasure Gnomes drop it in any substantial quantity at any substantial probability, the corresponding price(s) for what that Dragonite could “purchase” would also have to increase – the developers aren’t going to flood the economy with substantially more currency without a way to soak it up.

At the moment? I suspect the developers want Dragonite to be a gem/(real) money sink for the most aggressive players out there. And that once the initial surge passes and the monetization of such drops off to negligible levels, they’ll re-evaluate and adjust.

2 Likes

Two words: Dragon Gnome. (Dragon Gnome! DRAGON GNOME!)

Yup, and the total breakdown is:

• Perfect run: 10%
  • One trap discovered: 30%
  • Both traps discovered: 60%

You mean 1 trap and 2 bonuses? Easy. Remove the bonuses from consideration entirely (they don’t affect perfectness), that leaves picking 3 bosses from 4 doors – or alternatively, pick one door to NOT open, and the probabilities are now:

• Perfect run: 25%
  • Trap discovered: 75%

(added emphasis mine)

Along this train of thought, I’d be in favor of a “Minesweeper rule”* where the first door you open will always be a boss (i.e. the other 5 doors aren’t even decided until after the 1st door is revealed), just to avoid that initial letdown (as 1/3 of all runs start with the first door being a trap). Not to mention it’d change the overall probabilities to:

• Both traps discovered: 50%
  • Single trap discovered: 33% (1/3)
  • Perfect Run: 16% (1/6)

Note a slight increase in single-trap runs, but offset by fewer double-trap runs and a sizable increase in Perfect Runs (now approximately one per week).

In official Windows Minesweeper, the game doesn’t actually generate the board until after your first click, regardless of your board settings (size and mine density). In some cases the “lag” upon making that first click could even be noticeable!)

(waves) Switch player here, just adding vicarious analysis until it debuts on our platform. I am still at a point where I need the raw crafting rewards (those weapons won’t craft themselves), and the rare materials like Dragonite (or Cursed Runes) aren’t even on my to-do list.

I do, however, understand being at a point where certain content updates can not target/benefit you. When they reworked the early game with new “World Quests” (what was that, 6.2?), I was already at the point of having cleared all Kingdoms (and with a Kingdom Bonus averaging +8 to all stats), so there was literally only ONE World Quest available for me to do (which didn’t even unlock anything, it just congratulated me for completing the map) and rendered the matching button on the Games menu forever functionless. Also, no free War Coins for those Warband offers in the Shop.

1 Like

Here is your Dragon Gnome that I created long time ago. @Stratelier

3 Likes

The random dragon from the dragon egg is BS. It will be an absolute nightmare trying to get them all and I can see many people getting really fed up with constant duplicates. This needs changing quickly to guarantee no duplicates until all have been obtained or just simply allow an option to pick which dragon you want to craft once you have the required Dragonite. I would even be willing to accept an increased Dragonite cost if it guarantees i wont be forced to have duplicates.

11 Likes

That looks almost believable (and very cute). The spell idea definitely needed more work though (the description shown basically duplicates Soul Gnome).

for example

Base rarity: Ultra-Rare (to not conflict with Cedric or the Gnome band members)
Spell: “Flame and Fly”
Burn a random Enemy, then deal [M/2] damage to all other Enemies. There’s a 30% Chance to Run Away.

The new dungeon design is awful. Not a bad idea on paper, but the execution of it was awful.

I have gotten a perfect run once so far, but every other time i’ve gotten a trap on the first door I open. At that point I just open the other 5 cause it no longer matters. Sometimes I do the battles and others I don’t see the point.

Its like when you are trying to do a perfect run on a delve, once you lose a troop there really isn’t any point in continuing, at least for me there isn’t.

In order to make this feel like a “dungeon exploration” instead of just clicking on random doors in hopes you find the 3 battles for a perfect run, their should have been a mechanic added that used Treasure maps to replace a Trap room with a treasure room where you find a jewel cache. It could only be used once per run, but it would immediately reveal a trap door with a message that says “Trap Disabled, Treasure Chest Found” and you get like 10+ jewels (based on dungeon level).

This way it ups the chances of getting a perfect run as you only have 1 room that could be a trap. Or add a new map to the Soul Forge that you can craft called “Dungeon Map”, that when used it will reveal the locations of everything behind the doors without opening them, simply by highlighting the border. Red for traps, Yellow/Gold for the blessing, Green for battles, and Blue for the stairs. Have it cost 500 treasure maps, 100 writs, 1000 souls, and 100 mythic ingots to craft. Or something similar that uses resources that people literally have thousands upon thousands of.

As others have suggested, at least giving some dragonite for at least completing all 3 dungeon battles would at least decrease the frustration of not getting a perfect run as you are still making some progress toward the 500 dragonite needed for the Egg or the 1000 needed for the Rings.

Not to mention that the dungeon deals are complete ripoffs and unless you have money or gems to burn I can’t fathom why anyone would purchase them. The Gem Bounty for 50 gems is the only one actually worth buying. And the fact that it gives you 20 diamonds, where as the one for 15 diamonds is 100 gems, shows just how overpriced and outrageous those prices for diamonds, cursed runes, and dragonite are. Why pay 100 gems for 15 diamonds, when I can spend 50 and get 20 diamonds plus some shards, jewels, souls, and traitstones.

Even the Daily Deal for $5 which is equivalent to spending 50 gems (as in the shop the Stack of Gems is $50 for 50 gems, not counting any 1st time or VIP bonus), and you get 50 diamonds and extras with that. So who in whose right mind thought that 100 gems for 15 diamonds would be a good deal that players would purchase?

Those 3 options should have the gem cost reduced to 1/4 or 1/3 of that amount. They should be 25, 50, or 100 gems instead of 100, 200, and 300.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s exactly what the devs want you to do. But I agree that giving out pity Dragonite would be nice, and I second your sentiment about starting off with a sour experience.

1 Like

You must be one of those, I think they call it, “endgame” players who has crafted/maxed basically everything that’s not newly released content?

Because in terms of unit cost the 50-gem boss offer is a STEAL compared to Daily Offers:

Daily Offer version (one of several)

Total: 90 Gems + 50 Diamonds
Cost: 500 Gems

vs. daily Gem Bounty offers

Total over 6 days: 600 Jewels and 120 Diamonds
(plus 2400 Shards, 1500 Souls, and 24 Runic Traitstones)
Total cost: 300 Gems

My 2 cents… perfect run = 100 dragonite, 1 trap = 50 dragonite, 2 traps = 10 dragonite. Also, i appreciate new stuff added to the game, but this new dungeon payout does nothing but screws over your loyal players. Even the desperate ones paying 300 gems each day for a lousy 60 dragonite.
I do enjoy the risk of opening the dungeon doors, not knowing whats on the other side, but in no way shape or form should the vast majority of players leave empty handed day after day.
Please get off your damn hands and fix it! We all saw how quickly the paloozas were nerfed, so we know how quickly issues can be fixed.

3 Likes

That one is designed for the newer players that’ll eventually be VIP 20 players that want to get Mythics/other crafts at the quickest available time possible at whatever the cost.

I can’t imagine any players actually doing it, but I’ve also met people that would likely do something like that.

100% this

Everyday I open up the game, I go to the dungeon tab, and get a slap in the face. No other mechanic has ever made me so frustrated to actually join this forum, and write about it. It’s so annoying.

3 Likes