Devs Why so Lazy?

Well, then. As this is now a competition to see who wants it more, I’ll expect you’ll now show us all how to build and operate a better Gems of War.

Time and labor appear to be unlimited to you, in the spirit of competition. Great. Please show us then, in your infinite wisdom, how it’s all done. Build a Gems of War competitor and maintain it on multiple platforms simultaneously. All, in the spirit of competition, of course.

When you are ready to turn your work product for review, please do so. I greatly look forward to seeing how you can build, operate, and maintain a multi-platform live game service better than a team that has many years of experience doing this under their belt.

15 Likes

giphy%20(19)

3 Likes

I was trying to be modest in my discussion.
I advise you to read the whole thread before you start some :poop:
Go outside have some fresh air read the thread fully then answer :+1:

Let me repeat myself
I hope we not causing any offence to anyone by our views and opinions and We are not here trying to DICTATE how you guys operate :v:
We are just a bunch of passionate players who are concerned about how our product is treated and delivered to us :wink:
And that’s the END.
don’t waste my time and move on thank you :+1:

I can’t go outside, I must work until I die!

On a more serious note, you are welcome to your opinion @PeperandSalt, and I do not take any offence. I think everyone in this thread is just expressing their own points of view, and engaging in healthy debate.

You are welcome to be passionate about Gems of War and talk to us about it.

1 Like

There’s the problem, right there “Our product”. It is not our product. It doesn’t belong to us. We simply play the game. We don’t get to tell the devs what to do or how to do it. That you seem to think you do embodies the entitlement I mentioned before. Give it a rest, do something else for a change. Come back when you can think of GoW as a game and not a lifestyle.

7 Likes

I seem to recall that the community has offered assistance in language editing and I trust even pseudo-coding the interactions that are currently faulty (since your current model does not seem to embrace open-sourcing faulty cards such as Ubastet) would also be doable: why not let the community -who is clearly eager to see the game flourish longterm- help with things such as the above, given that your deadlines keep pushing low priority fixes indefinitely?

:blush::thinking::crossed_fingers::vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I’ve also responded to this in the past, @AMT. We don’t let people work for free, for a variety of reasons. Some legal, some moral. As such, we can’t allow players to do language editing. We do pay community translators to translate the game into our various languages. :slight_smile:

Also, our code base is large and complex, so it’s best for our programmers to work in house for ease of communication. We aren’t interested in liaising with programmers overseas, or using unpaid labour.

4 Likes

Ok: but if that ever changes, pls know that some of us would be very happy to help for free, not as exploitation, but as being a functional part of our favorite hobby and contributing in a way that makes us happy and hopefully contributes at improving the game.

:blush::vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Never said I don’t enjoy my job, in fact I believe I even said I enjoy what I do in my post
And I am at the top level job of what I do
unfortunately due to poor management above/around me in hiring decisions and the hours/extreme physical stress of most positions there, the turnover is high so we’re always short staffed year after year
So I’m left with enduring or finding a job that doesn’t suit me and/or pays less
If it were entirely up to me, they’d get their shit together and everyone would work reasonable hours and in a more efficient way to reduce stress to a reasonably expected amount
But alas, I’m at the mercy of fools Lol

2 Likes

Working for free is never good. Number 1 it sets a bad Precedent. Why you might ask? The job you are offering to do for free to help out is a job someone else does for their livelihood. You would be undercutting those people by a lot. Offering to do it for free actually does a disservice to self by stating my free time is worth basically zero which I’m sure it’s not. The way I do it is if I’m at work I’m getting paid. If I’m not getting paid then I’m not at work.

1 Like

wasn’t this thread about some delve rooms and rewards?
O.o

4 Likes

No it was about them being Lazy.

1 Like

@Saltypatra I understand you have new content to release under a tight schedule but that’s part of the gaming industry… Most developers (most likely including yourself) have already designed, implemented and tested the changes months in advance so why when launched do the same issues occur e.g. mythic troop which is released and completely broken, then takes around 2 months to fix e.g. Uba, Tina and many more.

Broken Delves was not the end of the world as you switched on Gnome week with an improved chance of vault key which everyone appreciated…

As for no support on weekends as a players point of view that’s crazy. Weekends are you busiest time which will most likely bring in the most venue… But on that note I am not one to say when you take / how much holiday you have but only yourself to blame when broken content is released and not fixed as quickly as possible.

I am sure publishers / players would be more satisfied with new content delayed but released correctly as appose to released but broken… Quality over Quantity.

On that Note, I would like to say Thankyou for all your hard work as over the years you have worked hard improving the game, fixing bugs and implement changes, Unfortunately you cannot please everyone that’s how the gaming industry is… Players demanded new modes, Developers don’t have time or resources to fix issues. 6 and 2 3s as to who’s to blame but you call the shots so you have to take most of the responsibility / blame “in my opinion”.

1 Like

Depends on if you bothered to read the OP or just the title. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think I have thoroughly unpacked why we won’t be working weekends, and why it is unreasonable to expect us to do so. You’re entitled to your opinion, and us to ours. To re-iterate what I have stated several times earlier, we are looking into our processes to mitigate these issues moving forward. It is one of our priorities. However, the solution will not be working weekends or further hours, nor moving our support team to working weekends. (I have explained why this is not necessary due to first response times, etc.)

We have, and always will, take responsibility for our game. I have never said anything to the contrary. I have been doing my best to illuminate our processes, and the pressures we are under, to better explain why things happen the way we do. Our publisher would not be happy with us releasing content less frequently, which is why we do not do so.

10 Likes

Is that adressed to all of us?
I suspect that would take up a lot of your time. Both the process and the result.

1 Like

I do appreciate that :+1:
It’s futile for me to continue as some people are jumping the gun on the thread without reading it. If they did read they be able differentiate between what was on topic and was off topic and won’t turn this thread to futile conversation.
I feel this thread reached its conclusion and there no point to participate.
At least you know what was on topic and what was off topic :wink:

1 Like

There’s context to that, though: if you choose to deploy to Live on a Friday, then every industry I’ve worked in would absolutely expect you to be available to fix the inevitable bugs on Saturday - why is why none of them would ever deploy to Live on a Friday (except in cases of extreme urgency, in which case someone would be staying to make sure the deployment worked).

Additionally, after any deployment to Live regardless of when it is, the very first thing that happens is that QA verifies that the deployment is successful. Again - if you choose to roll something out, not test it, and go home, then you’re creating your own problems through bad decisions and poor production pipeline enforcement.

I don’t think anyone here is expecting you to work an 80 hour week, but we’d really, really, really like it if you would stop being your own worst enemies.

17 Likes

I vote for changing the title to something a little less antagonistic. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes