Devour Skill / Bad for the Game

qft (10 chaars)

1 Like

8 Likes

+1 to you Gorillaman. :slight_smile:

1 Like

LMAO!

I’ve been saying the same thing for months, yet get attacked for it. This is in regards to Devour AND what @Hairyskinback said.

2 Likes

Then let’s frame this differently:

Great Maw is making the game too easy.

Just like with the broken Agile/True Shot combo, some players are exploiting Great Maw’s broken third trait to cheese their way to quick and easy invade victories. People don’t complain about that aspect of it, because they only see the defenses opponents are using, not the offenses. And those benefitting from Maw aren’t likely to complain (or may instead loudly defend it) because they don’t want to lose their easy-mode team.

4 Likes

And how does this add to the debate?

That is where we are. No one is talking about win rates. How did we combat True Shot? You had to have your own True Shot ensemble. How do you counter Maw. Maw or Gob-Chomper. Of course now we have Queen Mab. There is no whining here. The OP is frustrated, and with good reason. Great Maw is destroying strategy, variety, and diversity among teams you face,…just like True Shot.

It is easy to be dismissive. “It is just a video game. Go outside!” We get it! You don’t agree, but at least add something constructive. It is a debate after all.

2 Likes

I made a mistype, its the spring imp which is GREEN and has Entangle…

But Koolbird is on to this, I’m not saying Maw teams and devour teams cannot be beat, I’m saying they are removing strategy from the game.

There is no other trait that is equal to or compares to devour. What other trait in the game will Kill a troop and Add Attack, Health, Shield and Magic to your troop?

Seriously, this trait is broken and nowhere near equal to other traits in the game. This is a flaw and will push players whom do not have the cards to play against it away from the game. Strategy games should not end in 1-2 moves for a game. They should take more time, because once its a 1-2 move decides the game, you are at the mercy of LUCK and all strategy has basically been removed.

Devour is just not good for the game, unless we can be “undevourable” by other traits, then the devour group will claim thats too OP.

2 Likes

I am not a fan of Great Maws third trait, simply because it is a coin toss that when triggered will most of the time decide the battle because of its snowballing nature. So i would like to see that changed.
That being said, i have to add that i see it mostly like @Hairyskinback, that the Great Maw is not overpowered in a general sense.
There are plenty of counters in the game to battle his spell, the high mana cost gives you the time you need for that.
Even with his spell going off, meaning you most probably already have done something wrong, you can still win the battle as a limited single devour is still manageable most of the time.

Dust Devil, Entangle, Gob Chomper, and many more counters have been mentioned, and if it wasn’t for his third trait imho Maw would be just fine with more than enough ways to battle him.
There are also many team comps in the game that manage the same win% and time/battle as Maw teams, if you disregard the lucky multiple Hunger proc games.

So i think to condemn devour as a whole is an overreaction. It has never been a problem before as it was implemented with caution by the Devs (until Maws trait) and i also don’t see Maws spell posing a problem unless you mess up in which case Maws spell should absolutely be a threat.
So the debate should be focused on the Hunger trait entirely.

7 Likes

!) how many troops have devour?
2) of those how many have it as a trait
3)how many can target it with a spell
4)how many can target the opponent
5)how many can not target the opponent
6) is is a problem with the trait not hitting 15% or that skull matches and gem matches have multiple rolls for different 3-5 matches.
7) where were your complaints about devour when black beast came out?
8) where were your complaints about devour when drifting sands came out?
9)where were your complaints about devour when mercy was released?
10) at what point does great maw go from balanced to over powered?

When i read these topics about devour i think really only maw is mentioned as to why devour is op? I get more synergy out of black beast/giant spider/skull generator.

1 Like

Concise assessment.

Black Beast at lower levels maybe, Elf-Eater, Gob-Chomper, Kerberos, Sand Shark, and Hero w/ Black Manacles; have not posed much of a problem.

1 Like
  1. Should be ZERO
  2. This isn’t about how to counter this specific trait/skill/spell etc…
  3. Doesn’t matter how many
  4. Doesn’t matter how many
  5. Doesn’t matter how many
  6. 15% or not, its a 1 shot your dead and enemy is buffed beyond belief from your troop
  7. This eats your own troop, so you gain/lose, devour is gain/gain
  8. You could make the same complaints about true shot/skull gen teams as well, it took time before people realized how terrible it was
  9. I didnt have to face 50% of my PvP opponents with this, and by this standard if most defenses are using the same cards, you must realize diversity in the game has been stalled because of his overpowered traits/skills.
  10. Devour is overpowered, if there was a limit to only 1 Devour per ENTIRE BATTLE, then this might be an ok skill, but when all 4 of your troops can be devoured without you even getting any turns, you must admit that is overpowered. Name 1 other skill/trait in the game that is equal to/on par with: Killing an Enemy Troop and Buffing your troops Health, Shield, Attack and Magic.

Black Beast eats your own troop
Gob Chomper is only against marauders
Elf Eater eats elven

Devour is overpowered and broken and leads to less strategy/diversity in the game.

2 Likes

The problem with Maw’s Trait is rooted in the 5-match glitch where they count as 2 hits. Pair Maw with a Skull generator and he pretty much automatically Devour every time.

1 Like

Of which @Tacet demonstrates in one of his videos.

If it is not paired with a skull generator is in itself mundane. As we all know or should know sheggra and bone dragon when making skulls can make multiple skull “pairs” What this means is that each “pair” gets a dice throw to see if the devour trait activates. The trait is still only activating 15% of the time however so the problem is not with the trait itself but with how gem “pairs” are counted. @talia you sniped me.

No the trait is bad design in itself, because of its decisive nature on a coin toss even on simple skull matches.

3 Likes

I refer you to “The Lounge” and @dhjl 's post. It is far from mundane.

Buff Kerberos devour %! Hah!

If Devour only targetted a specific type of troop it would be ok, you can use teams without that troop type to avoid it. This is why Elf-Eater, Gob Chomper and other devours are OK.

Name 1 other spell/skill/trait in the game where you don’t want to damage the enemy troops before you devour them, and you actually hope they buff them first.

If you limit it to 1 Devour of a troop per team then this could be fair

1 Like

I consider it mundane when a simple skull match is only 15% and does not trigger against my goblin team. Then again i was facing an untraited mercy and my front goblin can be replaced so there is that.The “meta” everyone speaks so highly of most of the time comes from those at the top or mid-top. Those at the bottom like myself scratch our heads and think you guys are crazy talking about a meta that we do not even see most of the time. I argue that it is mundane cause it is not the meta where i stand and yes i agree that the trait is strong but it is still kinda meh to me. I scout see a maw and load in my dust devil*** and am ready to use goblingeddon or goblinburg or tyringob to counter it. It is not overpowered from a low level standpoint and is only good after a certain point but until then it is just a worthlessly overhyped piece of trash to my guild and me. Our meta is goblins/trueshot/oneshot paladin and basicly many other things. if you guys want diversity see if the mods wont reset your game player level so you can enjoy the game again but leave the maw deck when you go back to basics. Koolbiird this is not directed at you but the whole 1%-10% that complain about.

Agreed. Sandstorm requires a lot of mana, and is therefore susceptible to a variety of mitigations. Hunger is instant, unblockable, requires merely a serendipitous 3-match of skulls, and when it fires it wildly swings the game balance in favor of the lucky…bird on the Maw end (player or AI). If there’s only one change made to Maw, I would have it be a Hunger redesign.

5 Likes