Design-a-Troop Competition! (WEEK TWO: Theme & Visual Style for the troop)

Merfolk/Mech? … There’s only 3 Merfolk in the game as is and two of them are sharks.

In that case:

Big Slammer (half whale shark/half mechanical parts, inspiration: The Street Sharks meets The Terminator)

Because a Mech in water doesn’t make a lot of sense, I’d imagine this troop to be like Sharkey only it slams the ground and causes massive damage to things around it while disorienting things. The mech parts give it more physical power.

“We can build it, we have the technology!”

(I’d imagine its attack would be to deal AoE damage, shuffle every troop on the other team in a random order, and random % chance to stun each enemy troop individually)

1 Like

That thing in the water there!!!

1 Like

I wish I could like that more than once

2 Likes

She1000

meets

Im just trying to help inspire the artist and creators.

Instead of kill Kraken…Kill Monsters?

Quick request for people posting concept art: Please use the Edit button to on your post instead of posting multiple posts in a row.

1 Like

A swarm of smaller clockwork piranhas.
Maybe you can only see their metal skeleton…and huge teeth obviously.

3 Likes

Ummm… not a lot of mech going on with most of those images…

Mech+Merfolk = ?

Just doing an underwater mech won’t be very merfolky… so maybe a steampunk rusty merfolk cyborg… feels a bit patchy to me, cobbled together from the two bits because we had to.

How about a different take on mech as machine: an underwater chariot, pulled by giant seahorses and ridden by a merfolk champion charioteer.

4 Likes

Why not a chariot pulled on the water by 2 merman slaves ridden by a pirate? :stuck_out_tongue:
Not sure if it’s merfolk enough…

I’m thinking a mechanical fish named Wanda. Wanda the Fishbot?

3 Likes

I was thinking a fish-like creature in mechanized scuba gear holding a spear.

2 Likes

I am not sure what you were expecting?? Folks to go off and drawn new items? Mechanical does not have to be a lot. Clockwork is a specific type of Mechanical (Mech), Cyborg could be construed as Mech.

I just thought at least with mine, to be more than shiny metal, it’s got to be sea enhanced.

btw, Underwater Chariot would not be Merfolk…it would be pure Mech and a cool one at that.

There has to be something merfolk (mermaid, mermen, mermonster) at least that is my understanding.

1 Like

Umm… it could be if it has a Merfolk in it…

Goblin Rocket is in an example of Goblin-Mech (honestly, it’s super borderline), and it’s only a Goblin on a Mech.

Hmmmmmm not sure how that would work (troop transport ::smile:

I’m envisioning a bloated obese shark meets koi/carp/goldfish styled merfolk sitting in an inner compartment/tank (that is transparent and entirely filled with water) that is the major component of a the body/head of a walking tank/mech inspired by the late 80s to late 90s mechs.
The weapon would only be one arm and would be a steampunk cliche meets modern silliness, something like a launched anchor on a chain that reels back with an overt laser guidance. The second hand should be either a comically large pirate style brass hook, or a 1950s style robot grabber hand (think the maid from the jettisons).
Using images
Example of mech with fish tank center:

Art style:
The mech and weapons should be fantastic in scale but dark/semirealistic/forboding
The pilot the bloated lazy merman should use bright colors to pop against the darker mech but should be a pitiable/evil looking character. Said merman should convey a sense of a fat cat banker or other cliche evoked by large lazy and malicious villans, he isn’t doing the work hes simply pushing buttons/throwing levers at a whim and the world being torn asunder hardly matters to him unless it means he will have to exert more effort.

3 Likes

By theme I don’t know what do mean, but here is my style for Merfolk/Mech troop.

1 Like

Okay. This might get complicated, but bear with me. I also have pictures to help give a basis to my idea

So, The creature would have the basic frame/build and styling of a Grindylow (picture 1) from the Harry Potter Goblet of fire movie. Also, it would hold a trident in its hand (it could be a standard one, or perhaps shoot some form of energy blasts).

The creature would also be wearing a Reverse scuba suit (similar to the one in Futurama) (Picture 2). The black suit would cover its torso. Its arms and legs would be machine and very “raw” or “exposed” looking. By that I mean the arms would be made up of a lot of wires and circuitry that’s easily seen. Basically, like the reverse scuba suits legs, but much more “fleshed out”, artistically speaking.

The creature would also wear goggles similar to picture 3 and have a scuba mask similar to picture 4, except the mouth and nose pieces would be black and the hoses would be clear with water in them that runs back to a water tank that looks similar to the one in the reverse scuba suit picture.

I hope that all makes sense and paints a decent picture, so to speak :slight_smile:

uezRs_d

1 Like

My idea is a merfolk (watercreatue-humanoid) that has part of his/her body mechanised (can be really just a litte) and uses a lot of mechanical gear on him/her

This one is probably one i liked most (with all the graphics)

also here some pics i merged together to give the idea
(i dont need creadit, it can go to the original pic posters)
obraz
obraz

2 Likes

tutrle-based merfolk that has his shell completely mechanised
obraz
ok not really that, more like this:

3 Likes