Design-a-Troop Competition! (WEEK TWO: Theme & Visual Style for the troop)

I decided to keep it all in one place.

Thinking anglerfish head, humanoid torso, mechanical lowerbody flagella for fast agile propulsion. Very dark and sinister looking. Must have high tech weapon like lazer >.>

Theme would be experimental test subject to explore depths that merman could not normally access.

2 Likes

A humongous mechanical crab that looks like it was constructed by the sunken remains of crashed ships.

Edit: switched a couple words with each other

4 Likes

A shark with friggin’ lasers.

15 Likes

On his friggin head :slight_smile:

1 Like

Electric Eel.

Q: What do you get when you let Adanan engineers surgically graft a non-electric eel into a 600-centaur-power body with an arc generator on one arm?

A: A very angry, very good reason to avoid going into the water.

I guess you could say, he’s in charge of current events.

8 Likes

Two ideas, probably not compatible with each other-

Mechanical Whale, with a crew of piraty fishfolk, could be part biological or all mechanical but would have to be Huge either way, or

Harpoon Gunner, old crusty fishguy with some biomechanical sights and a comically-oversized shoulder mounted Harpoon that looks stolen from Adana a decade ago.

2 Likes

Well darn, there goes my Yellow Submarine! :wink:

2 Likes

Mech merefolk? Since that combination sucks, I’m thinking whirl pool something.

Instead of shiny metal - everything has to be rusty, jagged, greening, the kind of metal you would find in shipwrecks. It is covered with crustaceans, fish hooks, spikes, bits of large fish bone, seaweed that looks rather metalic, broken shells very clockwork in layering.

Sea horse bottom layering with the curl with a Aqua maleish upper half. Webbing for arms.
Helmet clearly covering the face, almost pointed at the top like a fin, and again covered as if it was a living host.

It’s a Sentinel
pictures below are just fragments of what I see with this, but gives you a good set of color palette, and visuals… with the armor covering the entire body.

coppergreen
back
front

ship-wheel-kraken

8 Likes

Steampunk based merfolk

4 Likes

A wireless mermaid-robot lure, which has a 50% chance to kill Kraken.
Made by Tesla for the best pirates to kill big monsters as Kraken.

7 Likes

I would like to see a manbearpig

4 Likes

SHOCKTOPUS

Sparkgrinder’s visit to Blackhawk inspired him to create a sea patrol mech for the locals to fend away the dreaded Kraken! Sparkgrinder was planning on making this mech look like a tasty octopus (Kraken’s favorite meal), only for it to sicken the sea beast when eaten instead. Unfortunately, one day when Sparkgrinder returned to his water cage, it had escaped unfinished!

Realistic octopus skin covers half of this troop, while its mech roots are still visible for part, as Sparkgrinder never finished putting the skin on. Will the Kraken be fooled?

Idea for third trait (I know this won’t be until later in the competition) Whenever an ally is devoured by an enemy, sacrifice myself. Destroy the enemy troop. Spell idea: Sacrifice myself. All enemies lose [5+magic] stat points for armor, health, and attack.

4d82eb1cff9838e1011d766bbae5795e--steampunk-animals-animal-sculptures

7 Likes

What about an experiment to increase the electrical power of eels to be explored as a source of power for mechs, that took a catastrofic turnaround when one of the subjects also gained increased intelect and managed to control one mech through electrical pulses.

2 Likes

We absolutely need a merman in a grotesque, rusty, old diving suit, something dark like the Big Daddy from Bioshock. The premise is that 1,000 leagues under the sea, not even the mermen can survive, however one unfortunate merman created his own prototype suit to enable him to penetrate the darkest, deepest of waters. Upon his return, one thing was certain: the horrors he had seen were reflected in his glossy, sunken eyes, and his forever stunned, incoherent babbling now serves as a stark warning to others to stay far from the shadowy depths

6 Likes

Titantique

3 Likes

What about a vengeful mermaid? Like the little mermaid that became human for her lover but who was rejected (like in the real story).

Princess of Merlantis, Ariel is bored by the underwater world. She sometimes want to see the upper world and fell in love with a rich merchant (from whatever kingdom, Leonis Empire?). [blabla story about getting legs instead a tail through magic] … but she gets rejected by the guy (he likes to play with girls). Impossible to have back her tail (Dispel doesn’t work…), she want to Adana with her last jewels to obtain a mechanical device to substitute it. Then, to avenge herselve from the guy, she joins the pirates of Blackhawk who are well-known to attack merchant’s boats.

So the visual style will be a sort of robot mermaid on the lower part (upper part is human) like that. She will have a crown make with screws, bolts, nuts, etc. because she’s still a princess :wink: (even if she give up to the Merlantis crown).

2 Likes

Brachyura