Daily Troop Discussion!

HERDMASTER

Now also creates 4 random yellow gems on the boards before exploding yellow gems.
Leader trait or Centaur bond could be changed for Stoneskin.

The only thing that I donā€™t like in herdmaster is that he dies a bit too quickly when used in first slot, which is bad for a cleanser. Giving it armored would fix that. But then heā€™d lose one of his traits which are all useful. Herdmaster is well balanced for the time being, you just canā€™t always take advantage of his Leader trait if you really need his cleanse.

Edit: Creating Yellow gems before exploding is a good idea, stoneskin would be an overkill, making it too similar do Gorgotha while also having the cleanse all.

You find Centaur bond useful? 2 lifeā€¦ :thinking:

I thought he had Alert for some reason. But I have no problem with race bonds.

Ok, unlike you I find all the race bonds traits useless.
Edit: Actually I am wrong, those bond traits was useful up to hero level 50.

1 Like

Herdmaster is pretty good, probably one of the more useful epics imo. Yes yes could use some skull reduction to make the most of the leader trait, but he can still work in a team that entangles, barriers or heals. Really, now that Artema has Leader the Herdmaster should not.

Realise that I missed the boat on Artema but my issue with her is that 40% dodge is really inconsistent. Iā€™d prefer if she had 40% damage reduction, so that I can plan whether to skull bait the enemy or not. This is a general feature with my teams - trying to plan rather than rely on RNG. With her other traits, it doesnā€™t make any sense to play her anywhere but in first place. But when I tried it she ended up dying from skulls way too often.

2 Likes

I agree, I hate planning teams around RNG. Exploding random gems is fine, but I tend to avoid troops that create random gems or have skills like dodge.

2 Likes

He is an ulra rare. But yeah I get your point.

That makes his point even more valid, no?

What difference does it make? There are many UR troops with skull reduction traits, as Stoneskin or Armored. They are as you know, not only dedicated to Epic troops. I personally would like to see Herdmaster with any of those two traits.

I meant the fact that heā€™s an UR makes his spell and traits all the more remarkable.

Oops, well in that case I rate him even more highly. Heā€™s better than many epics.

1 Like

Exactly. If it was a 50% chance to dodge I MIGHT risk it, but with 40% I found myself taking skulls for Artema rather than risk her getting pounded.

Explosions are different - at endgame when youā€™re exploding most of the board, itā€™s just as likely to give you a bunch of great cascades as it is the enemy, which couple with a good skull-protected troop means that often - even of you donā€™t get an extra turn - the turn comes back to you after a little tickle of skull damage. This is why Gorgotha is great, and 1 million times better than Artema. I know others have said the two arenā€™t equivalent but they are both legendary, both brown and yellow, and both have traits that show they are clearly designed to lead a team.

This is also why Herdmaster is great and does not need to be played in first place.

Herdmaster feels a bit muddled now - is it a front row troop or not? I think not.

Letā€™s look to make some synergies with Artema. Replace Leader trait with the new equivalent General trait - +3 to all stats for being in last place. Other traits feel fine. Rewrite his spell as: explode [2+Magic/2] random yellow or purple gems, cleanse all allies and heal them up to 8+[#CentaurAllies x3] lost Life.

4 Likes

I like that Idea, becuase I like using the Herdmaster but as noted above is just too crunchy and some of his traits arenā€™t the best.

GREEN SLIME

1 Like

I actually like Green Slime as is

2 Likes

Yeah, leave green slime alone! Less consistent than giant spider but much easier to fill thanks to his lower cost and the nature link (that benefits him rather than the purple beneficiaries of his spell).

Personally I always use GS instead of him but heā€™s good as he is. It lets players choose whether they want to use a slower team that is more consistent or just embrace the RNG

2 Likes