Daily Troop Discussion!

Cthryzyx:
This one is pretty bad at early game and scales very poorly into late game. Another troop I consider not to be an endgame troop, and not to be balanced as such. I’ve commented on him before, but he has since slid even further down the power scale. The buff is significant only in very early game, where a max epic green slime would get +5, and an acolyte would get +3 without any kingdom bonuses, but both those also have room to grow. If I were to buff him with the same design, I would raise the upper bounds of his spell to magic x2 +8 or even magic x3 +8. The buff should be changed to 3 to [magic / 2]+8 to a random skill. Jumble should be removed for another random effect that can be positive or negative, or given an extra turn randomly. Currently, getting a jumble and dropping the turn is always either neutral or detrimental to the user, sometimes game ending, never favorable. Honestly, he would probably be best served with a complete redesign.

As for traits, defender trait in particular is a pet peeve of mine and I’d prefer it be replaced with literally any other trait. Warded might make sense, but that is kind of cookie cutter as 2 of the 5 troops with Death Touch have warded already. Big or Arcane would fit, Daemon Bond would be preferable even. Or Magic Spirit. Nature Heart, for all I care. That would be sufficiently random anyways.

Kruarg the Dread:
Every aspect of his design is at odds. He randomly had Impervious handed to him during a buff pass to try and make up for being bad at basically everything he attempts to do, has a legendary trait you want to skull spam with which makes him vulnerable in a number that is unusably low to use on invade (trust me, I’ve tried) a not particularly good color combo for a front slot considering what supports you can use. The design says you want to use him in the second slot, or as assurances to getting hit by spells from the rear, but getting the summon condition is way harder than it should be and setting this up can often have him dying from cascades as well. His spell kills from the back, but it is below the mark on effectiveness compared to similar options, even when his summon considers. Even with the change from red to purple, he is still not a functional summoner without another support, which is another slot you can use for an actual summoner.

His spell is weak enough that it can both deal damage and summon 100% of the time, so lets start with that. Remove the 13 gems condition, just make him always summon a random Daemon. Instead, have red gems boost his damage (2:1). This would bring his spell more into line with similar options.

I’m not really in favor of buffing his trait, as Maw at 15% was already deemed broken enough to warrant that getting removed even post-impervious blocking devour and “hard counter” troops being added (rock troll). 10% would have him be usable as a skull spammer (assassin is with this percent, killing mostly full health troops rather than devouring partial health troops) but with a spell that is almost entirely useless to a skull spam team, while not really doing anything for him in other slots except luck cascades into luck devour. Devour on skulls isn’t really something that we need to exist in the game, and certainly not on this troop. When it works, it is completely broken, and when it doesn’t, it sucks, and its pure RNG which one you get even if you run the correct setup. For these reasons, if he is going to remain with this trait design, it should stick at 5% and remain fairly useless. I’d much rather he get a completely different trait that better fits his role. Nothing is really coming to mind at the moment that would fit with “Voracious” and go well with a role of spell damage and summoner. Gain 3 magic when skulls are matched maybe? A bit similar to the treatment Maw got, though.

5 Likes

So I was thinking today.

And I came up with; lets have a troop with krakens skill in reverse. Kruarg fits perfectly.

Worm Hole (16 Green/Red)
Deal [Magic + 5] damage to the first 2 enemies. Create 9 Purple Gems. Then there is a 40% chance to devour the first enemy.

Also rework on his last trait, make Voracious a 10% chance to devour.

6 Likes

I like the theme: he seems to be the terror of Grosh-Nak, the beast that nobody can get close to.
So I will make him as a super Black Beast.

First change his spell: “Deal [Magic + 4] damage to the first two enemies. Dispel and devour an ally. Then summon a random Daemon.”

And then his traits to: Avenger, Impervious and Voracious.
Voracious could be a booster when he devours like:

• “Gain 5 Attack when devouring a troop” → too much like Avenger
  • “Gain 1:4 of the troop’s magic when devouring it” → too strong
  • “Gain Barrier when devouring a troop” → tankiness
  • “Gain Enrage when devouring a troop”
4 Likes

Kind of a Tremors theme there Eika, like it!

1 Like

Thanks, glad to hear that someone liked my idea. :slight_smile: Say hello to KAYA and orbin from me.

Almost no one uses kruarg, he desperately needs altering. He’s got potential. I like the reverse kraken idea but change devour chance to 33%

Maybe up his on hit devour rate to 8% and give him immense. His spell damage and summon ability are fine IMO.

Maybe to play on his abyssal portal theme, then he could destroy a number of random gems (either random or a random
Colour) to simulate them being sucked into the void.

This would be in addition to his damage and summon conditional.

I guess the condition for Kruarg’s summon was there because the Devs were worried that summoning a random Daemon would be seen as being OP due to the likelihood of summoning an apocalypse troop?

I think things have moved on now. Elspeth can summon Gard’s Avatar, War, and Emperor Khorvash. Necrezza can summon Death, Draakulis, Euryali and Pharos. King Highforge can summon stonehammer, lady ironbeard and lord ironbeard. Not all of the above are mythic but they’re all totally badass troops.

There aren’t any complaints about those troops summoning OP troops on the reg, and as it is generally accepted that famine is the most serious apocalypse threat (with the other three seen as below strength compared to the other meta troops). There are some other well used daemons of course, such as Psion and The Silent One, but also some rubbish ones such as Cathy. I think it would be fine to remove the condition on Kruarg’s summon.

3 Likes

CELESTASIA

1 Like

Yet another dragon i wont use… Lol

3 Likes

Along with Boraelis wich both is blue/yellow aka Blade its skill is so bad that I want to cry, it was meant to backfire.

Well, the other day I almost lost in PvP due to her looping by casting on herself. She’s ok as she is and to be honest, the offensive dragons are so good that most people won’t use a defensive one regardless of what changes are made to her. Emperina for example is one of the best buffers in the game, but gets no love because it’s much quicker and more fun to smash opponents with TDS and Nax.

So I think leave her be.

5 Likes

You must remember that CPU has a lot more luck than Human when it comes to loop 7-8 gems. Its made that way.

Try use her yourself and you will see what I mean. Shes okay? How in the madest world? :rofl:

2 Likes

True. But even if she created more gems it wouldn’t help - look at Stonehammer as an example!

How can you say that this troop is okay? Its totally trash.

She would have to be super buffed for me to use her instead of shiny salad or tds

1 Like

She’s a good defence troop. Do you ever use Emperina in your dragon team? Nope! But she has fire link, she heals, she cleanses AND she buffs life and attack? But what would you rather - Emperina or a second Krystenax?

1 Like

Second shiny… No doubts… A second summoner that also does AoE? Yes please!

It is extremely bad defensive troop tho, with a skill that backfire. It is as bad as it could have been an Epic.
Why can’t it have something like Dark Maidens skill or something, transform all blue gems to a chosen color, we needs something safe in Celestasia. But that you say she is okay is mind blowing for me brudda, but its okay. :slight_smile:

1 Like