Chaos Shards need to drop far more often

Probably using Ascension Orbs to upgrade Whitehelm stars faster. It’s very unlikely that someone could have ascended the troops normally.

4 Likes

Oh duh I didn’t think of that lol

What I like about Delves:

There are a lot of different ways to approach it, from the level of difficulty to whether you clear all rooms.

What I don’t like about Delves:

I’m punished for taking the 2x multiplier. With the same hoard levels, I will get the same treasure from a level 500 Delve than I would get from a level 10 Delve. Since treasure quality is not a function of Delve level, the only reward for moving forwards is a minor renown bump. Is +10 gold income per day worth “I risk losing 1 out of 10 Delve rooms”? I don’t think it is, long-term. That is 3,650 gold per year. I can make that in a single PvP match. What about +1 ingot per day? Let’s be realistic: you’re going to get 340 common ingots, 20 rares, 3 epic, 2 legendary, and 0 mythic per year. Odds are you get that much per month in PvP already.

So everything about the Delve system is set up to encourage me to stay as low a level as possible. It takes more time for very little reward to move forward. It is impossible to go back more than 10 levels, so I only want to move to level 500 when I have maxed my hoard. That will be a loooooong time away.

Then, to make it worse, we’re going to have a guild faction event where presumably you HAVE to raise your Delve level to participate? I sure hope not.

I think the best way to fix this is make prize quality tied to not just your renown, but your Delve level. I think the minimum rewards for completing a level 500 Delve should be much greater than the maximum rewards for a level 10. I don’t see anything in Delve that makes me believe pushing my levels until I’ve maxed my hoard grants me more rewards, so I see no reason to do it.

“But you can use a 2x multiplier for 50 matches” just isn’t appealing enough. As far as I can tell that only affects gold, souls, and glory. I can already farm those far more efficiently in other modes. I don’t care about those currencies. I want to jump through hoops to get more legendary ingots and chaos toenails.

Have you SEEN how many legendary ingots you need?

3 Likes

Short answer to the thread: Will Chaos Shards drop more often? Nope. Intentionally designed with rates this poor.

Shouldn’t there be a way to address this issue? Well…

image (Source: Help Center)

Well, there we go. Players can outright buy Chaos Shards, Faction Troops, and Treasures. Problem “solved”.

Longer answer:

What players are experiencing is called “establishing the baseline”. After all of the low-hanging fruit from both Factions have been claimed in the first day or two, players are now realizing exactly how slow progression is for “free” in the Underworld. The devs are giving players a nice long week to establish in their minds how slow normal progression is. This is the establishing the baseline progression rate for the Underworld. (I’d even go so far as to assert that the multipliers themselves were carefully selected by the devs. 3x multiplier rates for replaying the last cleared level will often not yield one Portal’s worth of Chaos Shards. Players need to push harder difficulties for the 4x multiplier for an long-term average of ~20 shards per Delve.)

After a nice long week of suffering through slow-progressing delves, here comes the magical Faction Shop on Tuesdays. And look at that… it magically possesses exactly what the player is looking for to hasten progression in a Faction. If that doesn’t scream “intentional”, then I have a bridge in the Drifting Sands to sell you.

Players are being conditioned to want to spend in the Faction Event. If that last line doesn’t make sense yet, revisit this statement next Wednesday when progression reverts back to a snail’s pace. Players will start to expect the appearance of the next Faction shop, week after week.

The Faction Shop is as a close to a mandatory shop to purchase from as it’s likely to get in this game. Players founds reasons to not spend in Raid/Invasions/Bounties/etc. past a certain point. Now, we have a shop that doesn’t have such a easy limitation to stop at. Sure, it’s not mandatory in that no one is pointing Azirus’ Finger of Death at someone’s head and demanding spending in the shop, just like any other game mode with a shop. But, players are only going to hurt their own progression by not going “all in” in the Faction Shop each week. I’ve already decided to hard cut back on gem spending in all other game modes (sorry guild) henceforth, because the Faction Shop is where all of my gems are going to go from now on, as this is the primary map progression mechanic for at least the next year.

6 Likes

Faction events (at least on beta) were always personal. To the best of my knowledge, there are no guild influencing factors in play yet in the Underworld.

Can you explain how the event works? Are there bonuses, or is it just “you get more sigils and can pay to get more, and there’s a leaderboard for what you do during the event?”

I’m not looking to criticize it I just don’t have a firm grasp of what a faction event means.

The more i think about it, the more i realize that Delve is just a sink hole for Gems and i don’t think they have any interest in balancing it very soon.

1 Like

Help Center explains it all, snipped for convenience.

On a side note, one of the strategies I see floating around is to intentionally keep delve levels minimal. However, all future new factions will be introduced via Faction Events. Ozball has said that the furthest delve level reached in a Faction Event will overwrite the furthest delve level reached in that Faction through normal play. So, to keep a specific Faction’s delve very low, players would have to intentionally skip their introductory event and then weekly Faction event every time it comes around (as there are 2 [and soon to be 3] factions available, they will repeat frequently until a large number of Factions appear on the map to slow down their appearance rates). That’s a pretty steep price to pay in the long run.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Or we simply obliterate every creature in each room and before we face the boss we run away with the chest. This way we’ll use our sigils, gain some rewards multiple times, and we won’t upgrade our Delves to higher levels that will only make the battles slower/harder for no reason since we have random chances vs random chances to get random drops to be used to obtain random drops.

I would rather play 50 very fast, easy games than up to 10 very difficult, slow, risky games if we’re talking the same rewards. It feels like this event wants me to risk turning my 3 Delves per day into up to 30 very difficult, slow, risky games.

Faction events happen what, once per week? One day? Are the rewards worth risking the other 18 Delves I will play during the week?

I don’t know enough about how the rewards really balance to come up with a strategy, and if I push ahead in levels I can never go back. So I am going to be a coward and keep my levels low, because I highly doubt the faction event rewards will be great enough to make the 24 Delve matches I do daily not be fun.

That’s really what this event is: “To cash out, you have to make it not fun to play. Every day. Forever.” So I don’t want to cash out. I can get up to 8 mythic ingots at my current Delve level. I’m not going to put that at risk unless what’s on the table is, "Yeah but if you win at THIS level you could get 12 mythic ingots.

The devs aren’t going to do that. What they’re saying instead is like, “Hey, I know pushing that lawnmower is hard, but I’ve got a lawnmower that’s heavier and the wheels are rusted. You ought to push this one. I’m not going to pay you any more, though.”

No thanks. I have enough people in my life trying to talk me into working harder for no compensation.

I like the cut of your jib but they’re probably going to tie leaderboard position to a “score” that is a function of your highest delve level, so a ton of people are going to be lured into it.

I’ve got a bad feeling this feature is going to be extremely unpopular in 2 or 3 weeks.

1 Like

I agree with your prediction, not everyone is a Master of Obvious… Some were barely finishing the training to unlock Automated Breathing so it became a default setting in all humans some time ago…

Earn Rewards

In addition to claiming Delve Rewards as you finish each Event Delve, you’ll also earn points as you complete Rooms in the Delve. For normal Delve Rooms you’ll receive 100 Points x the Room Treasure Multiplier. For Boss Rooms you’ll receive 200 Points x the Room Treasure Multiplier.

Highest delve level only really matters in saying you’ve played “more”, but if you’re skipping a ton of rooms then it probably doesn’t help/matter.

That’s the fatal flaw of Delves at the moment. For a mere 1x multiplier loss, you can clear low level delves infinitely faster than the higher level delves. Its not that staying at a lower level is lucrative, its that going to a higher level isn’t worth the effort unless you want the long term rewards. (and at the current moments, its becoming more an more questionable).

I believe you only finish a Delve Event if you kill the boss, like a requirement in the competition for places in the leaderboard need some, but if beating all rooms and running away also gives points it’s cool.
Gonna wait and see how things unfold during the event.

1 Like

This is horse manure. My team got molested by a Bulette and it was really hard to pull off all of my wins. This pile of loot would have looked great back when I was level 400 but right now it’s a heaping pile of things I don’t need.

Even 1 Chaos Shard as a booby prize would’ve made me shrug and say “c’est la vie”. Getting 0 makes me upset. I’d like to think if I play 3 Delves per day I can open 3 Chaos Portals.

If I don’t think that I wonder why bother?

3 Likes

Yikes… not even a ingot instead of a chaos shard. That is just absolutely atrocious and raises up the problems I have. I feel sorry for you, I really do. I would not like to have gotten that reward.

If people want to say “Oh, you just need to upgrade your Treasure Hoard Quality level hehe” then answer me this people, how do you do that without Chaos shards? No answer? Thought so.

The way I see it is this, you should be guaranteed at least 1 portal opening for doing a delve or just remove Gold, Souls and Glory from the chests because that is just, really, unacceptable.

Can we get any developers response on this matter?

4 Likes

Try to get more Chaos Shards by beating all the rooms in every Delve if possible, so if you Delve Chest reward them, you will get them in higher quantity, caused by higher multiplier. And… that’s the point in completing all rooms in Delve.

And… if Delve Chest don’t even drop a single shards for you, then… i don’t know. Better luck next time?

Welcome to the Gems of War business model since about “update” 3 (point) whatever. We hope you enjoy your stay.

1 Like

So if you beat all 9 rooms and opened all 3 chests for the day only to get similar results that were shown of only gold/souls and glory? How do you raise the treasure hoard? Even then, at level 4 chest, you’d be lucky to even get about 10 shards which again, isn’t even enough for a single portal.

2 Likes