Change to PVP Scoring ❤

This has been a great change. I’ve done more PvP today than I have in the last 5 or 6 months combined. Now I think it’s time to start complaining about variety again. Fighting so many Life and Death teams and it’s getting really boring. I am glad it’s really easy to retreat now.

1 Like

Well done Devs, good change, 66 pts a battle. I initially thought there was a ‘hidden’ loss in gold, but no, some easier 66 point battles give less gold, which would have been the same before.

1 Like

This feels more right! In fact, I think you erred on the side of too nice and I appreciate that.

I just got 66 points for a 3x Fire Bomb and Sunbird team. If, in the future, you decide that’s a little ridiculous and want to bump it down for teams like that, I guess there will obviously be complaints but :man_shrugging:.

I think the problem there is algorithmically identifying “easy teams” is hard, which is part of what led to the problem in the first place. I feel like I get a more fair point spread now, like I said in another thread if we see a leaderboard with a more flat matches/points ratio I think we’ve accomplished the mission.

1 Like

66 is very good score, i never got this since i am in the thieves, my max was 59 points and then it dropped to 31-35

Im glad it’s finally fixed

Next fix in the wish list

1- variety, i would like to see more than the 3 usual team (rope dart,life and death and 2-3x lust)
2- rewards (they need to be bigger since this event is all week and the time to invest and finish in the top 10 is higher than every other event combined)

This is looking a lot more fair. I mean, I still see some leaderboard numbers that are way off but I don’t know that those aren’t from lower trophy PVP fights. Most of them look very close.

It was more telling in the first hour or so where I saw a string of people in a row who all had 34~ wins and had roughly the same amount of points.

I do think “all fights are 66 points regardless of difficulty” is somewhat simplified and I’m not particularly keen on seeing Firebombs worth that much, but I still prefer this way to before. Even if it is a very late band-aid. (I mean … we’re expecting a rework, this is in no way a rework. Yet.)

Bottom line, I might be able to chase the leaderboard properly next week if I’m paying attention at the rollover, which was horribly unfair when I did it last, so that’s an improvement.

Most importantly, how are the bots doing? They were really suffering under the old system.

When i see 45 points for a 1 trophy with 2k score, than its ridiculous. But okay, i’ll take it.
The new system is nice, even if it’s sometimes weird.

What’s worth doing now 1 or 3 trophies?

Odd. I had a 3.8k team offered to me, but it was worth only 15 points for the win.

I feel like maybe this was a quick stopgap to end the torches and pitchforks and expect something different rolls out “soon” as in “when they get around to it”.

Like I said earlier, it’s too hard to come up with a reasonable measure of the relative power of “an arbitrary team” and so long as “harder fights == more points” that means it will be unreasonable for endgamers. My hunch is the fabled PvP/GW revamp will do something entirely different, and this will just be one more artifact of “the old system was broken”.

(But if they do nerf it down a little I won’t be too upset. 66 points for 4x Fire Bomb is silly. So is “facing 4x Fire Bomb at all”. I think the team should be worth fewer points AND I should be able to say “just don’t show me that garbage at all”. Maybe a 4-trophy slot that’s “only the top 50 teams by win rate”? Who knows. For now, I’m pleased. It’s fair. That’s what matters.)

1 Like

3T seems to be locked at 66 minimum for my main - I’ve only seen 66 and 67 for this account. Lower doesn’t seem to be possible (since I’ve been matched even lower than the above team and it didn’t tank my points) not sure about higher (because I still can’t seem to be matched with teams above my ~13300 score potential on this account). 1T and 2T now give around 40s and 50s points, but still don’t seem to go much higher even if I get “stronger” matches there, so they are still clamped to a certain range and have a multiplier. So while the multiplier for which trophy slot a match happens to land in appears to be much more generous (at endgame) and the score range is clamped to different amounts, it still exists.

For example, this (note the team scores offered vs the PvP points payouts):

Good job on the points. With respect to the scores being fought, this is much closer to “fair”. I was worried 1T and 2T might occasionally be possible to be “too generous”, but I did about 70 battles and there hasn’t been a point yet where taking these matches would accelerate how fast I gain points unless they were throwaway teams vs meta teams, which is going to be a persistent weakness of a system set up like this and this fix is acceptable considering the circumstances. For PvP points.

Which brings me to…

Gold is still dumpstered if you get matched with a “low” score team, and matchmaking still has plenty of these. See, above, but also this is still happening way too frequently:

Matchmaking is still a major factor in this, and appears unchanged.

One time last night I was matched above 13300 (my current MSP) on my main, and it was a revenge:

I likely only saw this because it was a revenge. The person on two trophy here appeared on my three trophy twice in that same session.

My three trophy matches, even after being very solidly in T1 PvP, continue to consist of primarily teams in the 12ks, the lower half of which approaches my minimum gold payout (~1100), with only the upper half being “good” (~1800). If the same treatment were applied to gold as was done to PvP points here, my 3T would be consistently worth ~2k gold minimum. My alts, including the “high” one with ~12900 MSP, get this regularly, with 2k to 2200 being the norm, and anything lower being an outlier.

For reference, my low accounts (sub 10k max team scores) look pretty similar in gold, points, and matchmaking as prior to the change (2T might be slightly higher points for a given score team):

Including the “higher than my main account ever even infrequently gets matched with” team score outliers (13k+ already happened twice before even hitting t12):

But note gold payouts. This account has an MSP of just below 10k, gets matched with 10k+ teams frequently on the 3 trophy, and is able to get 2k gold on a three trophy consistently from these teams, with frequent bumps into matches with 11k+ to get 2200 gold (but softcapped pretty severely there, you can go up another 2k team score and not significantly increase your payouts). Going below that generally only happens on the two trophy, where I can choose the “easier” match but I don’t get the big “bonus” for doing my “tough” fight. Nearly every fight at endgame three trophy was deemed “tough” for PvP points payouts, but remain broken with respect to gold payouts.

So…

• PvP points look to be sufficiently “fixed” for what the system needs to do. Great news for everybody that just wants tier 1 “done with” or plans on “competing” for leaderboard spots
  • Gold payouts not fixed. Honestly didn’t expect it to be, since it wasn’t mentioned, but I was hoping, since the issue was brought up repeatedly during discussion of scoring formula payouts and it is “the bigger issue” for some of us. Because of this, 10 starring kingdoms for stats is still negative economy and all delve progression is negative economy.
  • Matchmaking not fixed. Maybe this is what “working as intended” looks like but it has always felt “off” to me… please don’t announce two years down the line it was bugged the whole time and nobody knew. Because of this, the aforementioned gold issue is more prominent than it needs to be.
5 Likes

will call this patch gow order 66 xD

3 Likes

So 70 is the new max? Anyone seen higher?

Pretty sure 70 was the max before, “we” just never saw it because of whatever obscure reasons used to stop that happening.

1 Like

70 was the old max. I don’t think it has been changed, I saw 70 before frequently on alts, and I still do now. The sub 10k accounts frequently see 68 or 69, but nearly all matchmaking falls within this range. The biggest change was clamping of scores to a certain minimum threshold based on your personal max score potential and the trophy slot it appears in (so most endgamers are reporting 66 points minimum for three trophies, but one and two trophies are also much higher at this point), followed by the calculation of team scores for teams considered “weaker” teams past the roughly 10000 team score threshold.

Thats the good thing about this change - its almost universally a buff and just to the areas that need it (endgame PvP points payouts). I was expecting a rather harsh nerf here, but my lower alts can barely tell anything was changed, so thats good.

Now I wish the same thing was done for gold…

4 Likes

I am really loving this change. I’m currently 50th on the leaderboard and everyone around me has done around the same amount of battles as me where before with getting 31 points I wouldn’t even be on the leaderboard at all and lower level that had done as many battles as I did would be pretty high up there. This change has sort of bought a bit of variety to PvP as well. With my 2 trophy and sometimes 1 trophy battle being 50+ points I can do a few 2 trophy battles and not miss out on a heap of points.

This has actually changed the game for me. The past few weeks I have been getting to tier 1 just before weekly reset and leaving it at that and for a few months before that I didn’t do any PvP at all but I have already done 151 battles this week. This will be the first time in 8 months since I started complaining about points that I will be on the leaderboard again.

4 Likes

Yeah, not to diminish that I’d also like gold rewards to be comparable, but I agree with Maxx. I want to play PvP a lot more now than I did the past few weeks, even though I’m not making an LB run.

1 Like

I’m happy with the change so far. Sure it might feel a little weird getting 66 points for a 3T Firebomb team, but after having to deal with playing so many more matches to hit Tier 1 compared to other people, I am totally okay with the occasional “gimme”.

I agree with others who have posted regarding gold scaling needing a fix as well, but at this point, given that it looks like we got a truly positive change without a “give, but also take” transaction, I’m just letting myself be happy with what we got. This is leaps and bounds better than before and benefits both the folks pushing the leaderboard and the folks who just want to get Tier 1 for the rewards.

We asked for a fix to PVP points, and we got a straight-up fix to PVP points, not a fix with a “tax” attached to it. Time to be happy about something. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

It was implemented perfectly
There was an unfair difference in points for the same effort that was taken care of
No reason to ask for gold increase, had nothing to do with the problem, as gold is no issue at all, between events, glory shop ,pet battles, and every battle of every kind
1 million gold a week is effortless
Well done devs

2 Likes

This is basically what I wanted to see, look how close the numbers are.

None of that “200 for me, 500 for you” nonsense.

4 Likes