Change to PVP Scoring ❤

We are re-working the algorithm to help end gamers, so early and mid gamers will largely be unaffected by this change.

3 Likes

You should post the algorithm, it shouldn’t be a secret. Making it secretive only allowed the issue to go unnoticed by the devs for so long.

1 Like

No worries instead of 31 point you will score 33 points :stuck_out_tongue:

We haven’t shared the PVP algorithm in the past, which is the same for GW and the honour system. Due to the possibility of exploitation, we won’t be doing so.

I know this may frustrate some of you, but this is the policy we have had for a long time, and it won’t be changing with this tweak.

9 Likes

Maybe if you shared it, we as a community could fix it from exploitation. Because keeping it secret has always failed because you devs never see the exploits.

tenor%20(54)

Dimlluminati

This is a Maths and not a social media issue. Security by obscurity is not an option anymore.

1 Like

You’re welcome to your view UK, but there isn’t anything further I can say on this as I have already re-iterated our company policy.

3 Likes

So why is understanding how things work exploitation
I.E. the honor system
If certain things are understanding the values are different, what is exploitative about it?

It’s like sending 18 people onto a baseball field, who have never heard of the game, and saying “Here is a bat, a ball, and 18 gloves”
“ what are the rules?”
“Figure it out, I don’t want you to exploit the game, it wouldn’t be fair!!”

I have played video games for 30 years
And beyond glitches or OP characters, I have never heard of exploitation

3 Likes

“Exploitation” in this sense means using the formulae in question in order to gain an advantage.

If the devs were to reveal the precise manner in which honor was calculated, players would min/max to achieve max honor as fast as possible instead of whatever they’re doing now (whether that means trading with friends or earning it from other players through PVP, etc).

If the devs were to reveal how PVP points were calculated, players would min/max their accounts to create the largest possible gap in order to consistently earn the best possible reward, which is also not intended.

We may not like that we’re kept in the dark, but this really is a valid reason to do so. Not to mention that once the data is out in the open, the cheaters would be developing scripts/bots to take advantage as well and automate the entire thing.

17 Likes

@Arelana thank you for this succinct explanation. I was in the process of typing one up, but yours is beautifully worded and explains the issue perfectly.

I disagree (as far as honor system)but everyone can have their own opinion
If everyone is given an equal amount, u gain no advantage
I always thought it was just like ur daily login, adds up so long as u keep up
But without even having a meter or total, there’s nothing to figure out
We’re just blindly thrashing, unless u sit there and make a daily list, and start matching it up against multiple others

1 Like

The idea is to just use the honor system and over time you’ll increase in rank and receive the corresponding rewards. So just keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll get there.

The idea is not to micromanage your way to max honor as fast as possible, and that is why the system is opaque.

5 Likes

A public formula where we can help prevent edge cases corrupting the scoring could be fair.

1 Like

Then let’s take away exp points and bar
It’s very exploitative to see when our next level up is coming :wink:

I’m done, just wanted to be a smartass

2 Likes

I don’t give a flip if the formula’s public but I strongly question if it’d be exploitable.

What can we control, as a player? Mostly our team. We can choose to trait, ascend, or level our troops, and we could choose not to if we felt that’d give us an advantage.

Next, our stats. We can sort of control that via guild tasks, which is exactly how people are exploiting the current formula.

Finally, our level, which we don’t really control. You can’t play PvP and NOT get XP. You can slow it down, but you can’t prevent it.

Those are the factors of ourselves we can control. So unless the new formula is based most heavily on stats and team points, I don’t understand how it could be exploited.

But it is true that if it were public, someone would figure it out. And they’d want to tell their guild. And nothing stays a secret once two people know it. The devs would catch it pretty quick and could respond. Heck, a few on these forums would probably catch it pre-release.

That all sounds like a good reason to let UK take an involuntary break from the forums since all he’s capable of doing is lashing out like a misanthrope. I know my own kind when I see 'em.

2 Likes

This is standard procedure. If something like that is known to the last detail, we’d have min-maxing nonsense forever. Whatever level of stat manipulation and so on people are currently employing to get increased points would increase exponentially.

2 Likes

Count me in the UKResistance camp, that thinks the formula should be public. People will find edge cases and exploits quickly, sure, but everyone will know about them and everyone can decide if the trade offs are worth it. I know the devs are unlikely to change their minds on this, but there is no reason to ever change if players don’t voice dissenting opinions.

3 Likes

Me waiting to see how GW is supposed to be scored after 2 years.

Good luck Gentleman.

5 Likes

I don’t see how knowing the exact way GW scoring works would in any way change the teams I use or the way I play.

Win in as few moves as possible and take as little damage as possible while doing so.

4 Likes