Betting Minigame for Pirate Kingdom

As for me, it’s a moral standpoint against any gambling in the game. I would not want my 6yr old granddaughter playing any game that has gambling.

How do you define “gambling?” As others have said, resource-for-RNG is by its very nature a form of gambling.

2 Likes

Well to be fair, even though everything in the game is random, you still get something from whatever you put in. Gambling would be when you put something in with the chance of getting nothing back.

Yes of course, a meaningful discussion filled with non-intended lewd humor.

Getting nothing that you wanted, isn’t the same as not getting anything at all. :sunglasses:

Slot machines and betting on matches IMO are gambling. Spending game gold, glory and gems are like buying “Grab Bags” of goodies. You don’t know what you’re going to get but sometimes RNG is kind and you get what you want or need.
Kind of like buying/opening packs of MTG, Yugioh or Pokemon.

Sirrian gave this answer about Puzzle Quest mini-games. Apparently, he doesn’t like poker machines so it’s not a good news for this kind of mini-games.

And there were/are so much topics about mini-games without any reply from the devs… Last mini-game was released so much time ago (I don’t remember when Treasure Hunt was released…).
So I don’t think we will ever have a new mini-game… It could be very interesting to know why devs did this choice.

Well, they did see fit to dedicate a whole top-level menu to “Minigames,” so I have a feeling there will be more coming eventually.

2 Likes

Actually I have nothing against poker machine per se; I just didn’t like our implementation of them in the pre-release version of PQ, since there was a clear optimal path to victory, and once you learned it (which didn’t take too much effort) the game felt very lacklustre, and just pure RNG.

I wouldn’t rule out a fun poker-machine style game in Gems of War at some stage… I think it’d be pretty cool.

But, I just want to squish any rumors about a betting mini game for the pirate kingdom coming in the near future… the reason we implemented an AI vs. AI mode was for internally testing the new console AI, so we could sit and watch it, which is faster than playing it!

4 Likes

Was never a rumor, just a suggestion. :3

Could we have some informations about your current strategy about mini-games?

Haha! Understood! But that’s how rumors start sometimes :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure, though there’s not much to share right now.

1. Our first priority is to get all the core systems in place that we’ve been planning for some time (Guild Wars, Event Systems, Social Stuff, & a few unannounced things)
  2. THEN we’re going to start focusing on mini games & alternative modes of play. It’s possible we might even sneak 1 or 2 of these between the bigger features, but we don’t have schedules for everything yet
8 Likes

So are we of the mindset that gambling/betting is okay as long as the player always gets something in return? Or do you think it would be okay for the player to put something in (no puns) and get nothing back?

Or how would these systems work, Sirrian?

No judgement here in the dojo, only questions. Just curious is all. I don’t really have a say on the matter one way or another.

Wtv you said there, I’m against. Just because.

4 Likes

Literally my expression.

3 Likes

My personal hope is for a “stronger” Player vs Computer path, something to do outside of PvP.

Multi-fight encounters (like arena, but with prebuilt teams), boss fights (non-playable troops w/ huge stats/spells), different environments (always frozen, or always burning, or always diseased, etc).

We have PvP as high gold, we have explore for high souls, so a PvE path with high traitstone seems logical.

These are core systems confirmed. That must mean we are guaranteed to get them right? Right?

Yes to more mini-games.

Nah to any betting or gambling one.

Yes to a survival / endless battle mode! hey @Sirrian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

id like to see a system where you can see your defense team (or any team you design for this purpose) being autoplayed against another team (maybe another players defense or their designed team)
-with or without any rewards and with or without any betting system to it
not just a totally random teams, but those random ones betting still looks fun

with the gambling problem i think it could be fine if the rewards were not too high.
i think it should be solved with a ‘gambling tickets’ that would be granted for completing various tasks and for example one ticket per week for free, then it would be kept on check and shouldnt be pulling unhealthy amounts of addiction/attention