Ban Dawnbringer in Arena

@en9nhcet
Ok as much as everyone “knows in their heart” Dawnbrnger is really “supposed to be” a Mythic weapon. Sirrian is actually referring to MUCH weaker weapons such as Dragon Oak, or Serve and Protect as a Mythical class weapons in the 1.0.9 notes. Of course Epic rarity is more appropriate for that set of weapons.

As for Dawnbringer the fact of its enormous cost to forge, and unique Tri-color mana the miss coded “Legendary” Hero weapon Dawnbring should be corrected to Mythic.

@Jainus is right restating that both Legendary (and Mythic) troops are not allowed in Arena…

Finally,
If only someone created a thread about this before perhaps it would have been looked at. /s

1 Like

I’d be fine with blocking any weapon above the rarity that troops use, to be honest. This also neatly handles some of the most common arguments against taking Dawnbringer out: it excludes weapons like Runic Blade and Black Manacles that can also turn the tide quickly.

Arena’s designed to be about getting into a scrap where all your fancy tools aren’t available. It’s like the duels in Black Panther where they made him drink the “lose your power” juice. Most of these weapons go against that idea. I wouldn’t mind being left with worse tools.

I stand by my original arguement when the first thread started.

A random epic troop, a randon ultra rare troop, a random rare troop and a random common troop.

That way there will be no weapon builds at all or any quibbles around things being OP.

Also please stop the purchasing screen for 3 troops at the end with a ridiculous amount of gems :stuck_out_tongue:

This is why I avoid the Arena like the plague. too much frustration and unfair advantages to make it worth the time it takes to get through… until I die.

I like my very old idea of Arena selectable “levels” separate from difficulty. The player selects the level / Coliseum / weight class / (or fancy word) at the start of a run. Hero weapons would be limited by max troop.

L1: Troops Lvl5, Max UR (+C and R for the other 2 exactly like arena)
L2: Troops Lvl10, Max Epic (+R & UR)
L3: Troops Lvl15, Max Legendary (+UR & E)
L4: Troops Lvl20, 1 Mythic (+E & L)

This gives players some a little more variety in Arena seeing troops they wouldn’t normally (IF they wanted to play on L2-4).

Well i am most definitely not.

What makes you say that? Weapons have never been in any way restricted in Arena, so the hero’s fancy tools have most definitely always been available there.

2 Likes

Then explain to me why my hero’s fancy traits and my entire arsenal of troops isn’t at my disposal as well? Not to mention my banners and the stat boosts my clan fought hard to earn? The troops from which you draft aren’t even the full set of troops: some more powerful ones are omitted in the name of fairness.

'Cause nothing of that has to do anything with weapons? That is what we are talking about right?
You could freely chose any of your hero’s weapons in Arena from the very start.
You can reinvent the design idea of Arena in your head all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that the actual design intent for Arena has always been to chose whatever of your hero’s weapon you like.

Dawnbringer didn’t exist when Arena was introduced, and my implication is that yes, no developer considered Arena when Dawnbringer was designed. It’s probable, from the reactions we’ve seen, that when it was designed they thought it was already excluded from Arena.

I don’t really care to go around in circles. You can keep arguing there needs to be a deep end in the kiddie pool, but there’s no good argument for. If you want a “challenge”, go play PvP. Arena would be much more challenging without Dawnbringer on both ends, but no one mentions that because they want their easy 30 trophies.

So didn’t countless other weapons, i don’t see you arguing over them.
Anyways that is besides the point, you tried to argue that Dawnbringer should not be allowed in Arena out of some kind of principle going against the ‘Spirit of Arena’ and evoked the usual mantra of ‘even playing field blah blah’, and i countered and showed that this principle evidently never existed in the first place when it comes to hero weapons.
And oh surprise now we are back at the power angle and the ‘whoever doesn’t want Dawnbringer banned just doesn’t want his easy wins removed’ strawman which is ironic since i don’t own a Dawnbringer.
Banning Dawnbringer will set a precedent, and judging by your posts here, i see you are ready to campaign against the next best weapon once DB is banned until there’s only a handful of weapons left everyone deems as fair as they are boring, and i’d rather not have that and keep Arena weapon choices the way they have been from the start.

2 Likes

As we’ve mentioned before (but in case the OP has missed this), the Dawnbringer problem is not as simple as removing the weapon from the Arena. We’re aware that it causes a lot of frustration. A large number of players use the weapon, removing it instantly without consideration would cause further complications. We hope to introduce a longer-term solution that does not severely affect the game balance or worsen it beyond what exists now.

What is so very frustrating about this answer is it’s been posted before and I can address it with this near copy/paste response:

For months, almost no one has asked for Dawnbringer to be completely removed from Arena. Even the players without it concede this would be unfair to the people who bought it specifically to farm trophies. What players have asked for months is that the “below level 200 you don’t face Dawnbringer” rule be expanded to potentially completely remove it from Arena.

As far as I know, some newbie can spend a few thousand dollars buying gems to trade for souls to buy Dawnbringer and no one will stop them from wrecking Sub-200 Arena with it. We’re cool with that, but if someone does it I think there should be a “gems while beer party” stream, OK? We’re also cool with a level 1200 badass charging through Arena like Wreck-It Ralph swinging Dawnbringer like some kind of metaphor. We just don’t believe a player is suddenly able to handle Dawnbringer at level 201. We also don’t think it’s likely by level 400. By level 1,000, we begrudgingly admit that a player’s intuition tends to be sharp enough to face this opponent, but that takes a long time and it’s still very frustrating as a level 1100 player to know my only thought when drafting is “Will this troop beat Dawnbringer”?

In short:

• Nobody cares about Dawnbringer on offense, this is a straw man and it will not appease us.
  • Everybody cares about Dawnbringer on defense, and removing it doesn’t diminish the value of Dawnbringer.

It’s extraordinarily frustrating that I’ve seen the devs nerf Trolls, nerf Kraken multiple times, nerf Nyx, and make numerous other adjustments to troops in PvP due to player balance issues when this problem, with a very obvious player-supported solution, has been continuously dismissed via the same argument no player supports. TDS was nerfed “because it was on too many PvP teams”. Dawnbringer is 40% of my Arena opponents and 80% of my losses. It is broken in Arena by every definition of that word.

Please reconsider making that argument in next month’s Dawnbringer in Arena thread. If I even saw that argument change it’d feel like someone’s listening.

2 Likes

Their “form response” hasn’t changed because they still haven’t come up with the solution they want for it. Its no more cookie cutter than the complaint threads people make. The fact they respond at all (form response or otherwise), admit & accept it’s an issue and haven’t said “we’re not going to fix it at all” should be the indication they’re listening and it’s still on their agenda, just not in the time frame some people want it to be.

It’s not like they don’t have hundreds of other things to fix or create. Choosing any of them over any others to make someone happy is going to upset someone else.

They aren’t going to “fix” it so everyone wins the rewards and there’s no challenge (which is what taking DB out of defense and leaving it in invade would do). And clearly those who use DB to farm trophies in arena will be pissed if they remove it entirely. But leaving it as is obviously pisses off another faction who wants to do arena but can’t compete with DB.

So to sum up:

What else can they possibly say?

TA DA

10 penglongs

5 Likes

And with the 1k Dawnbringer arena thread… It’s finally happened ^^^ lol

1 Like

We told you we were working on something! :wink: Sometimes we’re just prioritising other things (like fixing other bugs before they can get into the game), and for this particular issue there was a series of a solutions to be considered. As much as I would have liked to give a straight answer, it’s not always possible. And, I wasn’t certain of the outcome either.

5 Likes

YOU COULD’VE TOLD ME BEFORE I TYPED THAT LONG, DISAPPOINTED POST!

:confetti_ball: :taco:

Onward to the next important issue: the lack of food-oriented troops like Burrito Golem and Sandwichburglar.

Oh also the phrase “pet issue” is about to get ambiguous hmm

So is this your “pet peeve”?

Watch out, Purveyor of Puns, or we’ll reach the “pet name” phase of this relationship.