As suspected turning off combo breaker was a terrible idea

I’m 100 with @Jainus on this. Any form of ladder should end at “hard” difficulty. The Warlord levels were fun to try for a few battles, but if there is some jind of ladder where difficulty increases during the week (or month or season) if you’re winning a lot, then that would make a lot of people just play less (including me).

I play for fun, and my idea of fun is not playing a game where a single lucky drop on the first AI turn can kill my team.

I like a challenge, but just once in a while, by my choice, not a challenge that is forced upon me for a prolonged period of time. Something like that will make me seriously consider playing something else.

4 Likes

I think that means me!!
ok, so, I don’t really know my every thought yet. Let me just see what I type as I go.

1. I was a pre-nerf naysayer. I had very low expectations of this. Extremely low. You know, my world was going to end.
  2. I got to rank 1 in under 2 hours. I faced easier opponents worth more money. Was I just lucky? I don’t know.

So in that respect, it didn’t hurt me at all.
However, having said that, before the patch, I would PVP all week, but this week I have barely PVP’d at all, because of the combo breaker being off I have ‘fear’ of not doing well. I have ‘fear’ of it being less fun.

1. In arena, I’ve had several 8 win games, but I’ve also had a 7 win game, and a couple in range 2-4.
    I don’t have a problem with that, as long as I win back my grand (plus some extra reward). Combo breaker turned off really makes arena closer to a coin flip.

2. I wish people would stop calling this ‘hard mode’, it isn’t. It’s Combo-breaker off. Hard has +10% monster stats as well. Just a personal peeve :wink:

3. Now here’s the thing. We’re heading toward a ranking ladder system?
    5a. Why do I need to be in a ranking ladder system?
    5b. What do I get out of a ranking ladder system?
    I have a huge fear about this:
    A ladder system typically has your better players at the top of the ladder and the worst players at the bottom.

• nobody likes being told they’re one of the worse players, they just leave. Stop trying. Stop playing.
  • are lower ranked people going to get less rewards than higher ranking players? If so… are lower ranking players going to get less rewards than they Currently Get? Because nobody wants LESS reward for same or more work.
    If they get more reward than they currently get, what the heck are the winning players going to get?
    If high rank players get more than the low rank players, that just means the rich get richer, the poor stay in poverty.
    I’m poor enough already. I don’t have anything mythic, I have to fight mythic all the freaking time. I don’t need this gap to get wider.

the game how it is now just has players improving and seeing how they improve, and possibly seeing ways that they can improve more, or faster. The AI is artificially not as smart as the players, so lower ranking players can play my best team and still beat it, yet my lesser team can still beat their best team.
Everybody wins.
If this ladder creates situations where some people don’t win, then half my guild leaves, then what have I been doing with my life?
I just hope it doesn’t come to that. I hope we can all still win. I don’t like the sound of a ranking ladder system.
Why do I need to know that I am ranked at 30% because 29.9% are all 700 levels higher than I am? Isn’t that what my level is telling me anyway?

-edit- The numbering I used in the post does not correspond to the numbering we all read. Just so you know.

2 Likes

Kinda miss the old gaming days were challenge meant fun, not being available to win meant you would try harder next game. Casuals have hurt so much gaming. The simple fact of having a Ranked Ladder System is to fear now? Like common… Ugh. People crying becausy EASY mode that was first introduced for new players is no longer available for them after several months of playing?

Like… If you don’t wanna try your hardest then find other things to do in-game, perhabs Arena could stay as a free-of-difficulty place, what I’m asking for is a system that rewards me for my skill, for my patience, for time spend on the match and heck, even my luck. If some mediocre people want to stay at Normal mode then, just let them, but make actual rewards for those who want to become better…

Will it affect you? Only if you decide to stay at the bottom… So there shouldn’t be a problem, or what, you want the same rewards than people trying their hardest but you doing nothing at all to improve? That sounds kinda lame.

I’m really looking forth the rework of the PvP system.

A fully balanced game should keep a casual player at about 50% win rate and an experienced player around 80%. GoW is nowhere near either of them. Casual players are currently around 80% and experienced players above 99% win rate. I really hope 2.0 changes this around for rank 1, or whatever higher ladder system they develop.

But if this were the case the casual players would stop playing the game, thus hurting it’s revenue. As we all know the bottom line for every business boils down to money. We’ll just have to wait and see what this new ladder system will bring.

These sorts of win rates are only true in competitive synchronous PvP games like LoL, World of Tanks, CS:GO, Hearthstone, etc. And frankly, it should always be close to 50% but you should be working your way up the skill ladder.

Doesn’t make much sense in most mobile games, nor in async PvP. Win rates are usually 80-90% in these cases. If they bring synchronous PvP to Gems one day then I’d agree with you.

2 Likes

I am referring to the 50% in regard to “rank 1” PvP. If a person is at the upmost highest part of a PvP area in a game, a casual player really shouldn’t be doing 80%+ win rate. The system in 2.0 will likely be overhauled for a system that reduces win rate at the higher tiers. A casual player would still be able to get to those higher tiers, but they would eventually reach a point in the system that they flatten out to about 50% win rate and maintain a certain range within the rating system, ladder, or whatever they decide to do.

If you don’t eventually get casuals to 50%, everyone will be the equivalent of rank or “best”. When win rate is too high, it is the amount of time played in a day that ends up determining rank rather than any form of skill.

I really think I’m not being understood here…

What I’m basically suggesting is that you could have :

Two modes, FREE PvP (no ranking, modulable difficulty), and Ranked PvP :
A first rank 15 to rank 1 run with normal difficulty slowly turning to hard difficulty
Then at rank 1 you would be able to make another run 15 to 1 on W1 difficulty
and so on all the way to W4 difficulty

Except that the higher difficulty runs would be shorter and it wouldn’t be named like this. But for the equivalent of rank 1 difficulty normal, you would have the same rewards as what you currently have. Upper difficulties would just be open to players that WANT to go all the way through.

The thing is, you currently are in a “I must get to rank 1 on day 1 every week” state of mind, and you see my suggestion as “damn, now rank 1 is higher, I must farm more and it will be even more difficult”, but actually… No, you can just stay rank 1 in normal/hard difficulty and play free PvPs.

Now, I know, you WILL try to go on higher difficulty and probably keep you current state of mind, not because you want to be rank 1 on the highest difficulty for the rewards, but because you don’t want to be left behind by players that do want to move forward faster. Well, guess what? No matter what’s the peak of PvP ranking, top players will go beyond that and will leave you behind.

So, exactly what is bad or “crazy” in my suggestion, I honestly don’t know as it forces no one to do anything else from what they are currently doing, it’s basically just oppening more options for dedicated players…

1 Like

Im all for this ^^ i can see them having lvl caps on the difficulties,if lower lvl players are getting themselves “introuble” as they say,but i dont understand them penalizing older players by taking their options away.

1 Like

How about this… once you reach rank 1, then the difficulty turns to your settings. But the journey to rank 1 could be variable difficulty. I used to play 300+ pvp matches each week, since its now put to hard, I have to skip more teams than I used to, to finally find teams I can beat since I don’t have 40 different cards maxed out with multiple team options.

I’m ok with the difficulty grind to get there, but how about letting us choose difficulty after we achieve rank 1 each week.

1 Like

I agree ! let’s us keep as the option to select the level of hardness.

That’s all starting to sound rather complicated… Usually our devs find solutions that are simple and elegant…

If we had a ‘Ranked’ mode and an ‘Unranked’ mode, would ‘Unranked’ mode count for Guild trophies?

Yeah, it does sound complicated in the way I presented it, but it can be made much smoother and user friendly :wink:

Good question.
Depends what those trophies are meant to represent according to devs.
Currently, I only see it as a farmable resource (that I don’t need anymore and I don’t run after).
But if it’s meant to be a token of strength, I would recommend to get them in ranked only. If it’s meant to represent how invested players of a guild are (and so, likely to spend more on tasks), then I would suggest rewarding trophies for any PvP match.

1 Like

My preference is something like:

• Option 1 = Unranked Mode. Yes difficulty settings. Yes Gold every match but worse than current levels. No Trophies/Glory/Weekly Rewards. You want Ranked to be competitive so it shouldn’t be that rewarding. It’s effectively a practice mode to try different comps, but you can still use it to grind Gold in a not-horribly-monotonous fashion albeit at poorer rates than you can currently.
  • Option 2 = Ranked Mode. Difficulty auto-ramps. Base gold/trophies/glory payouts similar to current system. Weekly rankings and rewards now have more range with best rewards better than current rank 1 rewards and “average” rewards not too much worse than Rank 1 rewards.

Definitely need a Practice Mode. But it also makes sense to me that folks can still play 30-40 matches a week and expect to get decent rewards not too dissimilar from what they get now at Rank 1.

At first I was just against the AI-combo breaking being turned off automatically in PVP but it actually giving me that bit of a challenge and oh crap I might actually lose kind of thrill so I like the system you currently have in.

However I do not like it in the arena, especially with the hero weapon doing 16 damage to everything and killing three of your troops before you can do anything. Though I believe when that is sorted it will be all good once more. Though that’s more with the hero rather that the combo-breaker.

I would like to make a suggestion, it’s for when the opponent gets rather long turns if there was anyway to speed it up. And have that option toggleable for those who are not for the instant.

Let me step up to the plate and say never noticed combo breaker being on or off just that the higher i got in the rank the bigger the things i fought got. Then again when i played on normal aka easy mode and watched the AI get extra turn after extra turn matches outside of luck drops.

1 Like

I have to agree that we shouldn’t be forced to have a combo-breaker off. PVP invading is really the only thing I like to play in the game and it’s just much harder now after you reach rank 1.

In fact it can be frustrating.

Please change it back so we have the choice.

I’m glad to see that there are so many with the same viewpoint as me. Combo breaker being taken away is taking away the individuals choice to play as they like. All you high level players that have been around forever and want a challenge . . . good for you. Go for it. Doesn’t bother me. You can choose to play on Warlord 4. But don’t chastise me because I want a fun game that doesn’t make me want to smash my screen and keyboard and mouse.

I have alt-f4’d so many more battles than before 1.09 just because of the ai getting 6-12 turns almost every turn. Eating my first 3 troops while I sit there and get more and more angry at the game. Selection bias? Not a chance. Just the phrase you long time players use to explain a concern or complaint other players have that you don’t agree with.

I have had those cascades too but no where near as often as the ai. I am not saying it’s “cheating” just that there are more times that I make one move and the ai follows with 8 then I get one then they get 6 then one then 12 then one then . . . No selection bias - it happens.

The battles are longer. The choices are fewer. The spells / troops are weaker. 1.09 has not made the game better in my opinion.

3 Likes

I fundamentally disagree that 109 has made the game worse… For me it’s a huge step in the right direction in so many ways…

I do think the difficulty settings and combo breaker part should stay optional and as new player / low tier player friendly as possible… And am concerned at any suggestion that to still earn trophies for my guild I’d have to keep playing at Warlord 4…

I don’t think it made the game worse just not better. I don’t enjoy the game the same as pre - 1.09 and I hope that the next update - which this one is stated as a pre-cursor too - finishes the transformation.