Arena - too much advantage for experienced players?

I want to chime in as agreeing with everything @Archenassa and @LegendMaker said, but I also want to specifically rebut your statement about “unfairness” to lower level players regarding the cost of cards. I’m at level 893 now, but at one point I was at the same level you are and the cards cost me the same then that you pay now. Essentially, you’re asking to skip all the work I put in to get to where cards only cost one gem, and to me, that is really unfair. You don’t get to ask for advantages because you came to the game later. You get to play it the same way we all did.

4 Likes

Really appreciate all of the replies, starting to be an interesting discussion here. :slightly_smiling:

My favorite part of the Arena is being able to start a battle and immediately start making matches instead of waiting 10+ seconds for all the traits to activate. If that’s not a plus I don’t know what is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Everyone has their own opinion about Arena battles. I find every facet of the game fun but I am one of the people that like to get something worthwhile for all the play time I put into the game. I don’t feel that the rewards are worth taking the chance of getting crappy troops to pick from while the ai gets way better troops and you play two useless battles to get booted out and bye bye 1000 gold. The same number of matches in pvp can make 2 to 3 times the gold compared to arena even totalling what you win each match. There’s no glory collected in arena - a very valuable resource now. And you can collect much larger amounts of souls by farming them instead of arenas. The only benefit I see in the arena is the glory keys but they can be collected elsewhere too.

And it’s not unfair that the troops at the end are so cheap. The high level players have earned the right to that bonus.

Just my opinion but arena has nothing for me against the benefits of pvp’s and challenge farming.

I’d like to know how to do that? Usually you get 4 souls + spawns x costume. Maybe it has incrased, i haven’t paid attention to souls.

With certain troops and the 100% Soul bonus armor and a good
differculty setting it is not to hard to do. Although far easier
on challenges.

Here is one of the Soul farming threads. Valkyrie is critical.

I just did a ShadowPlay cap from my last 20 mins in game, clipped a couple pretty typical games (I wasn’t thinking much and I wasn’t counting Valkyrie casts, so I might have cast a few too many in a few of these matches) …

My 2 favorite PvP farm teams:

2 Likes

Biggest thing about arena that kills it for me is the illogical troop selection. It’s based very little on skill. When I have 4 troops and only a single troop has an ability that deals damage, it is absurd. Or better yet, when out of all 4 cards slots I fill up, half the mana colors are missing regardless of what lineup I go with. “Yes, I would like three troops that use the same mana colors, and 1 troop that maybe uses that color and 1 different color”. All be it PvP is also horrendously luck based. Today I had quite an experience in PvP. Without exaggerating, the AI literally went on an extra turn spree for a solid 2-3 minutes. Luckily I had emo tree strip down their attack so it didn’t kill me, but holy god was it the most aggravating match of the month for me. I mean I’ve seen some steaming piles of poo, but seeing the AI get between 2 and 5 4 pairs per turn for 10-20 turns in a row takes the cake.

The main idea of this thread is to say it’s unfair that long term players get 3 troops for 1 gem compared to new players having to pay a lot more. To the new player wondering, that really isn’t an advantage at all. Just play the game, level up, get troops, level them up, and have fun. For how long it takes to complete all 8 matches, those 3 troops aren’t in any way a treat. I’d rather grind PvP for gold and have my guild rake in keys. Besides, those long term players that have every single white/green/blue card maxed out probably don’t even need any extra card copies. Depends on platform though. I’m on Xbox One where we have no cool stuff. After a month of playing I have about half the total available cards maxed out at 15. All be it I am probably more hardcore than the average Xbox player.

I haven’t played the arena since 1.08 was released for a couple of reasons (below). This is sad. It used to be my first choice option.

I agree with @Archenassa that selecting the best troops and trying to make teams win even when you’re forced to choose suboptimal teams including a first round choice between a Peasant, Fortress Gate & Dwarven Miner, and then go onto win is FUN. It’s more challenging, and makes you think more about line-up order, sacrificing, strategy & helps people to learn the subtleties of the game and the different troops.

However, for me the Arena became boring, because the Common & Ultra-Rare pool of troops is too limited & as a result the variety I felt at the start disappeared…all the new troops were Epic…and these never made it into the Arena draft. This reason in combination with the fact that I could get much more in PvP, which helps both me & my guild more, led me to hang-up my gladiatorial gauntlets.

Regarding the troop purchase, the only time I ever used it was 70 gems to buy a Hobgoblin, which had evaded me. You’ll get enough Common, Rare & Ultra-rare troops through Gold Chests, Glory Chests & Gem Chests.

In terms of a solution to bring people back to the Arena, some ideas I have are:

1. More common & ultra-rare troops (I know they are doing this for the next two months…but 8 troops, even if they avoid Rare, isn’t enough)
  2. For Arena, split the Rare Category into 2a, 2b & 2c - then allow the first level choice to be Common & 2c, the third level choice would be Ultra-Rare and 2a. The rare choice could be either just from the 2b pool, or from all Rare allowing the opportunity from time to time to double up on a troop (if it were offered in 1st or 3rd rounds).
  3. And tweak either the Souls or the Gold up 50% so that I feel I’m still being fair to my guild.

Pretty sure you can get the troops offer even if you forfeit the arena after a single match (or 2-3 matches if you want to break even with gold).

I completely agree with @Archenassa here. “everybody has a fair chance”. If you’re moaning about troops costing you more because you haven’t already won/levelled those troops, how on earth is it any disadvantage except from your own personal gameplay? Experienced or not?
For it to be truly fair to be an advantage for more experienced players, bring on the traits and bonus’ from Kingdoms! See how you like the (well deserved I might add!) advantage there @eika86! Lol…
As an added comment for the rest of this thread in regards to Arena’s gameplay, Dev’s should bring back the epic troops into the mix again; I loved that period and was disappointed when they reverted it back

1 Like

Sounds like you just need to rethink how you make your draft, honestly. What you described is the absolute worst-case scenario of a really, really unfortunate drafting pool. It can happen, but once every blue moon; it’s really not representative of the average Arena draft these days. Even then, with the huge variety of weapons, many of them with two colors, it’s almost always possible to make at least a fairly balanced line-up in terms of colors used. You mention you’re on console, though, so you might have a different version still (isn’t the Arena still at level 10 troops on console?) and maybe you missed out on a lot of weapons, which does make drafting trickier.

I think the Arena is fairly successful as it is. There are people who dislike or ignore it, as seen in this thread and others, but it certainly has its dedicated fans, and lots of people play it daily. Being a hardcore Arena player myself, just from the huge variety of player-made line-ups I face every day, I assure you tons of Arena runs are made all the time, and by many many different players, of various levels.

The devs could confirm this with some data, but this reminds me of past threads in which a few people complained about Treasure Hunt because they don’t like it, and incorrectly assumed nobody else does. Then the devs explained that this is actually a very popular mini-game as it is. Forum regulars are but a tiny portion of the game’s audience, and not always in sync with the overall fan base.

You need at least two wins for that, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

oh man , mimimi i play 2 Days and cant compare to Level 500+ Players , This Thread is a big Joke. btw buying the Arena Team? lool what a waste of Gems

How so? Even if you dont like/need the troops - you still get 40 souls for a single gem - if you bought souls from the shop you’d only get 5-10 souls per gem, so it’s 4 to 8 times more souls this way. So, no sir, totally NOT a waste of gems. I dont buy souls via gems since you can easily farm them, but the gems sure arent wasted.

i have 50000 ~ Souls (Ps4) all Cards 15 need update no Souls :confused: i just say this Thread is a Joke experienced Players always have the Advantage in every Game

You’ll need a multitude of bonus copies and tons of souls soon as you get the patch.

But I agree. 1st of all, there is no big advantage with bonus copies for a cheaper price for veterans. 2nd of all, if there was an advantage, so be it, why not. Everyone starts at the very same level.

@LegendMaker
I didn’t say the Arena wasn’t successful.
I didn’t say it didn’t have fans.
I made no assertion on Treasure Hunt in my post.

I did suggest that the Arena could be improved by increasing the number of troops in the Common & Ultra-Rare pools (i.e. 1st & 3rd choices). Note - there are 25 Common Troops, 68 Rare Troops & 24 Ultra-Rare Troops.

Given you have no data, and admit as much in the first line of your second paragraph, I’d be interested how you back up your assertion:

If I was to make a hypothesis, it would be that a lower % of the player base is using the Arena as regularly now, as they did before 1.08. The basis for this assertion is that very rarely in the two guilds I’ve been in since 1.08 has the activity log reported Arena trophies, whereas previously it was quite often that Arena trophies would be reported.

So, your data reflects a maximum of 60 people out of the thousands that play the game? Hardly a representative sample. Personally, I play the arena multiple times per day and enjoy it thoroughly.

1 Like

Could you please read my previous post again? I think you misread it. It wasn’t a point-by-point reply to yours; I only addressed one specific point you made: the one I actually quoted. From there, I developed my own points. For instance, you didn’t mention Treasure Hunt, nor did I imply you did. I made a comparison between your assessment of the Arena’s popularity and other posters’ assessment of the Treasure Hunt’s popularity.

I didn’t actually respond to your suggestions for the Arena which you reiterated above, but I can do that now:

1/ That more Commons and Ultra-Rares would be a good thing is a given, and as you noted, devs are already about to release a bunch of new troops specifically of those two rarities in the next few months. What’s to add to that? ^^

2/ “split the Rare Category into 2a, 2b & 2c” - no, thank you very much. I strongly dislike this suggestion, sorry. This would completely dilute the drafting process in my opinion, which is a big part of what I love about this game mode.

3/ “tweak either the Souls or the Gold up 50% so that I feel I’m still being fair to my guild” - This raises an entirely different, broader issue, I feel, but not the one you must have in mind with this. I’d rather not derail the thread too much, but this kind of statement, along with the ludicrous “requirements” of many “top” Guilds make me happy I’m in a “small” friendly, relaxed Guild where we all play the game for ourselves first and foremost. Beyond that, well, several of us have already explained why the Arena is not and should not be about resource-gathering in the first place.

As for the statement of mine you quote, well, the answer is in the parts you didn’t quote: [quote=“LegendMaker, post:35, topic:3533”]
just from the huge variety of player-made line-ups I face every day
[/quote]
On average, I play maybe 4 or 5 Arena runs a day, through which I face somewhere around 30 or 40 opponents. The way it works, each opponent is generated from the latest Arena draft another player has made.

If the Arena were static, I would face the same opponents many times, and they would each time still have the same line-up they drafted long ago and forgot all about.

What’s actually happening is that I only very occasionally face the same opponent twice a day, very rarely twice in the same run, and when I do face a previous opponent again, they more often than not have a new line-up, meaning they have themselves drafted another Arena since our previous encounter. Out of this sample, I also see players of all levels, from 100-ish all the way to Level 1K.

This leads me to think that the Arena pool is currently very healthy and varied. =)

Sorry to say, but the fact that your Guild (or couple of Guilds) don’t play much Arena doesn’t mean much at all. It’s just 30 players at the most, and if they are in a similar mindset as you are (they might well be, they’re in the same guild with the same requirements), it is not very surprising they’re not Arena fans overall.

1 Like