Are Dungeon Doors Truly Random NOW?

Most of you likely remember the Dungeon fiasco wherein players found that the presumably random results behind the new Dungeon doors were not actually random. For example, getting a perfect run by selecting doors 1, 2, and 3 was impossible. The devs would later update this, claiming to make the doors “truly random.”

For over three months, other players and I have been using this tracker to slowly amassing data to test whether or not the the new (new) dungeon doors are truly random. Here is what we found.

Above are the results of my own dungeon doors after 102 days. The average of these percentages is 16.9%. If doors are truly random and each door has a 1 in 6 chance of occurring, each result should have a 16.7% chance. My results are incredibly close to that, and are continuing to even out as I keep recording.

Here are the results of @sdiverjack, averaging 16.6%, after 70 days.

And finally, these are the results of @Awoo, averaging 16.7%, after 100 days.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this project, as there were more than just the ones mentioned here. It’s been a blast to work with everyone and I hope to do more projects like this in the future. I believe we have decisively determined that dungeon doors are now truly random.

29 Likes

I have, in fact, 124 days in my spreadsheet but I’m not going to look for the one I missed putting into this tracker yesterday.
Perfect runs - 12/124
Capture

However, I’ll venture to add two more shots from my chart (trap/good room and specifically battle combinations). What can I say about them? - good thing that I go 1–>6 route instead of the other way round 6–>1.

Capture1
Capture2

9 Likes

I have been tracking mine for 92 days now and my results are terrible. No matter what I do I just can’t get a perfect run as I have had only 4 PR’s in 92 days. Here are my results and also the amounts of hits per combination. It’s very frustrating so if anyone has any tips please share :slight_smile:

I always go for door 1 first as it has the best results and I rarely fail but after that it is a mess and most times I get 2 traps straight after picking door 1.

2 Likes

I haven’t tracked my runs but I screenshot my perfect runs and my last one was November 9th. :skull:

I go 1,2,3 every day.

1 Like

I’ll have to start doing the same.

Would you be willing to pick a date to start using a different order, and tracking that? I understand it may risk losing you Dragonite :flushed:

I’d be interested personally to see if selection number (e.g. 4th door selected, regardless of which position) is more relevant than door number/position.

So for instance, where “Battle Combination – [Doors] 145” showed up 11 times for you, I’d be interested to see if that was reflected similarly in “Battle Combination – Selections #1, #4 and #5” (Doors 6, 3 and 2, e.g. if you were to reverse the order).

Perhaps the new order you picked could be your most successful combinations to date.

On the other hand, I have a feeling there may already be enough data points from other people who have switched orders, or someone else who might have data that could answer this. If anyone did and looked at it, I’d be interested to know!

3 Likes

I will say this is actively being tracked by myself and a few others I’m aware of. It’s tricky to test for, because as you said, it requires a player using a bunch of different combinations repeatedly.

My updated template includes a tracker for door number, and it will show the “best” door combination based on two or more perfect runs using the same order.

4 Likes

Hi @NerdieBirdie, as you can see above I use your tracker and although I have no luck getting a perfect run it’s a great tool so Thank You for sharing.

Just had a look at your updated tracker and I am wondering what is the correct format when entering the data for the door order column? Is it every door every day or only when you get a PR etc…

I would like to start using this as well.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words!

The door order column is simply the numbers in order, no spacing or commas. Example: 123456

You can decide whether you only record order for perfect runs or if you record all of them. The tool will only take into consideration perfect run orders. Recording other orders might be helpful just for extra data, though. Up to you!

1 Like

Thanks @NerdieBirdie

When you have a sec would you be able to check your Perfect Rate formula (P1) I think it is is incorrect. The door order formula doesn’t seem to work for me unless I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for catching that! You’re correct, the perfect rate was not counting all runs.

As for the door order formula, you will only see it start working once you have 2 or more perfect runs with the same door order. Make sure you format door orders like “123456” without commas or spaces.

1 Like

I made an app. :joy:

It hasn’t helped. I’ve only gotten a perfect once since new year. But it was fun, and it chooses for me, so I don’t have to stress!

6 Likes

Final update from me - 100 days of tracking for perfect runs. I will no longer be tracking my data.

Everything is pretty evened out and the perfect rate is just a little higher than expected. Everything seems to check out. :grinning:

3 Likes

I appreciate your hard wars and data collections. Truly. I simply came to terms with the fact that I will likely never own all 6/7 Dragons.

1. The statistical percentage of a perfect run feels slightly higher than winning the Powerball lottery!
  2. I am far to cheap to be spending 300 (or even 150) on Dragonite.

My guild would be glad to know that I am not the only one who tracks and collects data on everything.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

JadedHarleyQ

2 Likes