Alliance Ranks Shouldn't Be Reset Every Season

Much like Factions: we do the grind once, and now we’ve earned the place to reap its rewards.

This reset thing (together with the worthless potential Silver Marks in Burning Chests) is the main reason why my guildies are not buying the PvP Season Pass.

@Devs: it’s still early in the season so you still have time to reconsider this design, and hopefully move a little bit towards that increasingly elusive win-win whereas your customers are spending more because they are happy.

:vulcan_salute:

29 Likes

if its anything like Journey feedback, it’ll take them 4 more seasons to collect data to reduce the score requirement by 10% and call it a day.

23 Likes

This will sound crazy, but I’m actually very optimistic about this.

Someone will look at pass completion rates and see that a majority of people buying it aren’t finishing the reward track. People who aren’t getting the rewards might not buy the pass again. I could see the requirement being reduced to 200-400k in future seasons. Once they actually realize what an insane number of hours they’re asking players to sink into just this one game mode, they’ll change the alliance rank system.

(And yes, feel free to quote this and laugh at me in 2026 when nothing has changed.)

8 Likes

But the PvP reward track requires 180k VP. 2000 per reward, 90 rewards. Even the PvP goal that asks for a specific alliance rank requires “only” Praefect, which is 560 000 VP.

Alliance ranks have nothing to do with paid rewards - even though I agree that 800k for the top rank is absurd, completion of the paid rewards track is not an argument when it comes to asking for a reduction of VP needed for gaining specific alliance ranks.

2 Likes

Yeah, i was thinking about the highest tier goal. Assumed it was 800k, glad to hear it isn’t. Guess we’ll see.

2 Likes

This. Why do I want to pay money to get kicked in the shorts???

7 Likes

And there’s the catch. How would they ever realize what an insane number of hours they are asking players to sink into just one game mode?

1.) Player feedback. Yeah, right. Our feedback doesn’t get read, even prominent one like for Journey.
2.) Personal experience. Yeah, right. The devs don’t play their game, the automated test tool didn’t complain.
3.) Design review. Yeah, right. 99.9% of players got permanently locked out of alliance chat, due to the recurring 220k VP restriction. When something like that manages to go live, better bury all hope for reason.

If sales go down significantly, something will get posted promising us milk and honey. That they plan to listen to feedback from now on, interact with the community from now on, work on fixing non cash shop related bugs from now on, attempt to make the game a more welcome place from now on. And who knows, if sales went down significantly enough to warrant proofreading, they might even call the game Gems of War, instead of Puzzle Quest 3 or Marvel Puzzle Quest. And then it’s back to radio silence and empty promises, like the past times exactly the same stunt was pulled to retain players while spending zero effort.

17 Likes

560 k for the seasonal reward is off the table for me, let alone 800 k. It’s back to weekly 6,500 after hitting 180 k.
Just to contribute some actual feedback here.

3 Likes

:point_up_2: This.

4 Likes

best summary of the last years i have read

3 Likes

800k VP for great general is just absurd, if ranks get reset every damn season!

7 Likes

I will try to make this simple and easy to understand for the developers–please let us keep our alliance rank when a pvp season ends.

You could make this even less stressful and helpful for us by removing the VP requirement to get higher ranks. Since we are able to keep our loyalty days, either make us keep our VP or remove the requirement altogether for alliance ranking. Trying to reach 800,000 VP in a season is out of reach for most players, and those that are dedicated like me have probably realized how stressful it is to get our alliance rank up in a short amount of time when a new pvp season starts.

@Kafka @Bramble, please help us.:pray:

12 Likes

Yeah I can barely muster the motivation to log in.

Feels like climbing onto a hamster wheel. Endless scramble that leaves you exactly where you started, no matter how far or fast you go. Why even bother.

4 Likes

That is done exclusively to try to keep “engagement with pvp” up.

They wont change it. I have a feeling kafka regrets the “engagement with pvp is up” comment.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything to regret regarding the comment that engagement with pvp is up. The fact is… it is up (for now).

Whether people are enjoying it or not is a different story.

6 Likes

Its down this week imo. This is one 1000 match player last that doesn’t even have 100 matches this week. And even looking at my board right now. 1 has 130k vp. Last week it took almost 320k for me to win.

In less than a week the first Great Generals will be popping up in the alliances.

Here’s a small breakdown of why the current premium pass continues to be ignored by most of my guildies, who would have otherwise purchased it:

• Alliance Rank Reset is a slap in the face taking into consideration the amount of effort and resources required such as Gold Marks for extra monolith boosts. The daily gold marks granted for top ranks are insignificant when compared to other sources of Gold Marks, so allowing players who have done the 800k VP grind within a season to keep that benefit (like we do with Factions) would surely not break any bank, and would actually encourage many to try that grind once, as opposed to the current “what’s the point, since it’s gonna be reset anyway”.

• Rewards are designed to discourage purchases: at the beginning of the season, players may be hesitant to purchase the pass since they may be uncertain whether they can reach the target VP… …and once they get the target VP, they may now be hesitant to purchase something that includes some VP idol thing 18% of the time, that gives them VP they no longer need, and that cannot be carried forward in any meaningful way.

• Chest rewards only give what players really want 48% of the time: and that number will get gradually smaller over time, since the chance of getting souls for maxed immortals will also be another deterrent to purchase the pass (see how players who own most mythics no longer go for random chest pulls hoping for a new mythic, since it’s an exercise in futility and a waste of resources, which when it comes to the pass would be $)

• For most players that are active enough to clear all season pass goals, the premium pass only offers these as actual rewards: 1045 Season Immortal Souls (Includes Overlord Reward) and 720 Burning Marks (Includes Overlord Reward). But those 72 Chest pulls are going to give us souls only 48% of the time on average, so that’s about 35 Chests with random immortal souls. And that’s of course ignoring that many players would be paying to be well below that number, as demonstrated by the “fun” dragon RNG that is ongoing to this day.

That is what you are offering your customers, and that is why many guildies that would have considered purchasing the pass are skipping it instead.

20 Likes

TLDR because of precedent:

• Resetting alliance ranks decreases PvP engagement and deters potential Pass buyers
  • Pass rewards are designed to deter potential Pass buyers: most people don’t want to pay to gamble for resources they no longer need (e.g. Silver Marks or Idols)

15 Likes

Absolutely agree, that’s no reason to hit us so hard, some players already quit the game mode pvp. Maybe they forgot we need explore for medals or just create this type of system only for players who don’t have to do explore

2 Likes

My last 6 rewards were 4x silver marks, 2x bronze icons.

I’m not someone who pays for getting slapped in the face.

11 Likes