Ai is broken and 4x

The speed has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of luck we get. That’s ridiculous. I can’t believe I read through this, I’m going.

14 Likes

Can we please not cuss

3 Likes

I have a bad feeling if I actually put in the tedious work to track 100 games or so, I’d find that it’s mostly balanced. It’s hard to properly collect the data, because you can do things that accidentally tilt the odds of cascades/free turns in the opponent’s favor.

I find farming with the team Valk, Pharos-Ra, 2x Warlock very frustrating because of this. Valk does good for me, but Pharos-Ra’s ability sort of reads “get a lot of souls and give the opponent at least 2 free turns.” MAYBE 1/3 of the time the gems fall my way. I could hold his skill for 8-10 turns while making green match after green match, but then I’m not soul farming.

I don’t understand why anyone recommended Mercy to me. Her ability reads “give the opponent a free turn”.

I’m scared to train up trolls, because while the defense AI seems to get “generate 128 blue gems”, I have a feeling 9 times out of 10 I’ll feel like I get “generate the 2 gems the opponents’ Death needs for a 5-match to fill up.”

In PvP, sure, I’ve got tools to deal with opponents that generate a lot of stuff. Sometimes the Troll/Mab/whatever teams just get going faster, that’s the flow of PvP. But it’s really frustrating that a lot of the lower-end tools do little but make you stand around tapping your foot while the computer carefully picks 4-match after 4-match and accomplishing nothing.

More and more I wish the game didn’t have free turns. Isn’t generating 80+ mana in one turn enough of a reward?

The only way 4x factors in for me is some turns I don’t know what the heck happens, I just know 3 of my troops disappear. MtGPQ had a log that told you what moves the opponent made, that was always useful for those kinds of turns.

3 Likes

Im 100% on Fizzbang she can loop herself 4 to 9 times. She should only explode half her magic not all green gems. Hell she always has an extra turn.

4 Likes

For me Pharos Ra loops not often but it’s not a rare event. I’ve seen him kill all four opponent in one loop with TDS.

Exactly so. And Lady Anariel all the same.
You might want to use Florian and/or Nix, they seem to do better. Also they suck up mana.

Stupid thread. Gets muted. Ciao.

2 Likes

If you haven’t figured it out by yourself, which i assume is the case as using the trolls seems dangerous on your shared experience, there is a “little rule” i personally discovered by experimenting with such troops:

• Nine, or less, gems to be doubled by the trolls will hardly (i would throw a 45% chance with nine gems to give perspective) make a 4 or 5 match.
  • Thirteen, or more, gems to be doubled by the trolls will always (again i’ll throw a chance and 95% feels right) make a 4 or 5 match.

It’s simple, and if there are no other factors involved as active Storms that aren’t favorable to your team that can backfire your usage of the trolls.

Imagine that you will double the Green gems, but there is a blue storm active from Skadi’s trait, then it’s more than likely that all these gems matched will give place to a bunch of blue gems and that’s a dangerous move depending of other factors like having your a troop frozen… No need to mention, i believe, that even having an active Storm that favors your team, but also favors your enemies is an invite for disaster when you use the trolls or simply removes/explodes huge chunks of the board.

Just test out the trolls without relying in the traits too much. Some have great traits like Forest Troll that entangles on skull hits and has Barkskin which doubles his value turning him into a tanker that is also at a favorable position to get mana first and start the combos, a little below him is Rock Troll that has Stoneskin to tank damage in first position and applies stun on skull hits which disables some troops too.

All the others are good for mana generation but aren’t outstanding in the first slot even with Troll Regeneration trait unlocked.

I don’t disagree, Florian and Nyx are reeeally good, but the trolls are still very valuable.

I hope this help.

1 Like

If it starts looping I retreat now. I just don’t have the time to deal with it…since the dev don’t seem to believe there is a problem.

Saves time, headache and frustration.

1 Like

Lol, Well I saw I played for an hour in the slower modes, then when I go to 4x seems like the Ai goes a bit more crazier

I would say that there is also a perspective that many players don’t like to comtemplate. When we start playing at higher speeds we can make more mistakes faster. It’s only natural to occur some degree of recklessness.

Not ot say or imply that you are simply making bad moves/decisions, but that there is also this factor, as well as others that, to me, are symptoms of the current mechanics/troops introduced recently.

2 Likes

Also: if you play at 4x you presumably see at least 3x more games in the same amount of time. That means 3x the chances for really weirdo rare things.

RE: the trolls, the gem count’s exactly my problem. I just played 10 matches. In one of them, Valkyrie started and ended with 0 mana. I made it through an entire match without a single red OR yellow 3-match on my end. In 3 of them, Valk sat there through 8 turns with no choices leading to anything but a measly blue 3-match. I’m having a really miserable string of luck where important colors just aren’t appearing on my boards for some reason, which doesn’t go over well when your team only uses red, yellow, black, and blue :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think the game’s broken, I just hit some weirdo stretch of RNG I have to push through.

2 Likes

same. if looping spree continues to the next few matches, i close the game and come back when i’m in the mood.

While I find Strawnyy’s claims dubious, I tried 1x speed today. I didn’t notice any difference save how slow it is. I still play around with Puzzle Quest and GoW at 1x speed is slower…slow-mo slower. Is this by design or is it a bug? I played GoW when first released and don’t remember it being anything near this glacial.

So I did calculate. I used, as a rule of thumb, “less than 10 gems=risky”. It doesn’t work anymore.
Heck, I had Anariel cast with more than 13 blue and green (each color) and coming out with nothing. Again and again.
It does not apply to the AI.

If I cast a spammer I cannot make mistakes. It’s all RNG.

Same here, it was not this slow. And now you can also choose 0.25 velocity!
Because Bradips are people, too.

I’ve returned to 4x speed because I hate watching the cruel, questionable RNG as it slowly tortures me…just get it over with!

1 Like

It’s not so simple because in Anariel’s case, and similar troops, there are complicated variables. You can have 18 green gems on the board, some really close to each other and still be unlucky if those gems simply transform into some of the blue gems she spawns. We are not adding gems to the board, we are randomly transforming gems… That’s risky.

The trolls on the other hand are a safer bet using either your or mine rule of thumb. Because the gems being doubled will never overlap said gems, they will randomly transform/substitute the gems of the other colors.

I think that leaving things up to RNG is a mistake on it’s own. We can assemble teams with a better margin of success using random factors like Explosion+Storms+Board Modification+Extra turns and still we must accept that it will fails every now and then. As long as the battle are fast, some defeats are acceptable, specially if you retreat instead of dragging a battle too long.

But still, my point was that sometimes we are so engaged into fast results that we’ll ignore some smart moves that can deny mana to the enemy for example, simply because we are focusing into quick victories and not focused into better/skilled decisions.

GoW battles have a low significance for the players because it’s a F2P casual game, there are hardly a lot of players that will stop what they are doing and try to rethink their teams and gameplay when they lose. I’ve faced teams in PVP that had untraited troops like Psion, Spirit Fox and Forest Troll… They simply copy and paste the teams that moped the floor with them without giving a second thought about anything.

Anyway, i’m not fond of pushing advices into anyone, not anymore at least. Do as you please with my considerations.

Thank you for your advice anyway :slight_smile:
I used to loop Dark Troll/Rock Troll. Which was great.
When I use a team I use it extensively, so many many times every day. First the loops was absurdly easy - over five gems it was guaranteed. Then it was impossible. Then it worked reliably with more than ten gems on the board. Then it dodn’t.
Officially nothing had changed. I don’t buy it.
And in the last days I think something has changed again. It’s bonestorm time for all, or it’s just me?

I think that most of the cascades everyone is complaining about come from human error. I rarely see any crazy cascades or loops that i didnt cause by missing something or making a bad move. Sure it happens sometimes but not enough to complain about

3 Likes

Hi Strawn

As mentioned to you on the Stream we haven’t adjusted anything in the AI to work against the player.

I can link you to various threads, tests and articles we have one the “ai cheating” that explain that it is not “rigged” against the player but I imagine you have seem them before. Let me know if you’d like to see them anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, thats wonderful

1 Like