A True Online Player vs. Player Mode Coming Soon?

I’m not interested in real time PVP in this game either. That’s why I asked Sirrian if live PVP would replace the current PVP mode. He said it wouldn’t.

1 Like

I hope they don’t incentivize it either.
On a funny note, the forums are telling that I have mispelled incentivize. I looked it up to be sure lol.

This is all my preferences for “True” PvP, nothing more (well, maybe a bit of analysis.)

If I were to setup a “True” PvP for this game, I wouldn’t do real-time. I’d go for a play-by-mail setup. You get a day to take your turn, then the game gets mailed to the other player.

You could have multiple fights going simultaneously, and each player can set their own maximum number of simultaneous fights to prevent getting more battles going than you have time to play in a day. The main advantage is not being restricted to fighting people that are wanting to fight at the exact same time you want to.

Of course, this would require much more detailed information to be transmitted with each server hit than the current system does, and it would still require two server hits per turn instead of per battle. This is no different than a real-time true PvP battle though.

2 Likes

Imagine this scenario, you click find player and wait 30 sec then you are matched.
Game start with a coin flip to know who start the fight (another 5 sec) then you win and make your move , then opponent hold until 9 sec to make his move and get extra turn and wait another 9 sec before next move and keep going until the end. your game who take usuàly 1-2 min will now take 5 min

This is horrible idea

1 Like

Investing in a lag switch company now. Going to make bank! Bring on real time PvP! :smile:

How do they balance the advantage of going first? that’s a major hurdle.

the lack of true PVP limits the size of its audience.

Having the first turn is just too important. Especially if it were true PVP. No thx

1 Like

Perhaps ensure playing boards without a four or higher match move on it? Would that offset the first turn benefit?

Normal PVP would be horrible with all that difference in stats, level and cards. The only mode which contributes an even platform is arena. Trolling teams are hard to build, level doesn’t matter and even bad players can win with a lucky draw.
Real PVP means more loses for everyone, so its important to get good rewards even when your not winning the whole 8 games.

It’s seriously not fun when the COMPUTER constantly gets these combo chains and we can’t retaliate and wind up constantly losing. We MOST DEFINITELY need human online Pvs.P.

I think live pvp would be the next best this this game can offer. I remember the days of pq1 where first turn was decided by a hero stat, don’t remember the name, I think it was intelligence or cunning… but perhaps the lower level player could go first, or the team with the lower total of sum of troop levels. I would play with friends and my wife locally, and online pvp for fun.

I completely agree that “troll” teams or other sorts of annoying teams would be irritating to fight in live pvp, but I get far worse in the form of feeding noobs on Smite or complete noobcake teammates/sweaty tryhard opponents on Halo Wars. Doesn’t stop me from playing these games, though. I love playing with friends, I love competition. It doesn’t feel like fun when I randomly find my friends in the pvp queue and I send them messages about how I beat their AI defense team… I want to personally give them the people’s elbow and talk smack (via live pvp, I mean.)

I feel like playing GoW’s AI generally just involves letting it grab skulls while you fill up more important spells to lay 5x the hurt in one more turn. It’s too easy to manipulate the AI for an easy win. I’m guessing that I beat players that are WAY higher than my level (I’m lv 75, talking fighting lv 500+) 80% of the time. And to be fair, I immediately retreat when I come across full traited headaches like gorgotha and mab, which happens often enough.

I find the game somewhat entertaining, but c’mon, how in the world is it fair that my troops with 18 hp and 8 attack are beating troops with double and even triple those stats?!? Firstly, I HATE having to whittle through so much meat with my significantly weaker team. Second, I would be fairly irritated if I was that high level player and lost pvp points and gold because my AI team couldn’t beat a player that I could probably almost beat blindfolded. In fact, it was part of the reason I couldn’t stand Pokemon Go. I would have my AI controlled 3000 CP Dragonite get kicked out of gyms by my buddy’s girlfriend when her strongest was a/an 1800 Vaporeon.

I want to say, devs have done well with GoW, it can’t be very encouraging to see my rant. I really like the gradual progression, treasure maps, guilds, hero weapon and team customizations, traits (although the arcane grind is too real) and kingdoms.

I eagerly await the day live pvp hits. Just make sure the matchmaking isn’t this lv 75 vs lv 250 stuff that I’m suffering right now.

Matchmaking is currently pulled from a pool of who’s played PvP in the last 6ish hours, and mostly separated into level ranges of 1-50, 51-100, 101 - 200 (this might have two ranges,) and 200+. I expect it to be far worse when the pool is reduced to “also looking for a battle right now.”

For an example of high end teams controlled by an actual player, my current PvP team wins in the first turn about 20% of the time, and on the second turn about 50%. Assuming a coin flip for who goes first, you won’t even get a turn about 10% of the time, only one turn about 35%, and at least two turns just over 50% of the time.

1 Like

id love to see a live pvp as an alternative to play casually: meaning one or few matches per day at most (obviously allowed to do more but without benefits from it)
id personalluy use live pvp to just skirmish vs friends once a while to counfront ideas about decks and just pure fun
i absolutely want the ‘any and every’ farming aspect and pvp leaderboard to stay at the player vs ai side as it is now.

edit: could love some extreme intense live pvp battles but with an intensity of like max 7 fights per week - with some rewards that would actually support players to take those fights enough serious to not just forfeit to each other with a troll decks :stuck_out_tongue:

I hear ya I pretty much quit 3 months ago, I got bored of “PvP” not being PvP ^^

1 Like

Live pvp is something I do not and never have wanted from GoW. I started playing this game as an alternative to live games (such as Hearthstone), and found I preferred it.

If they ever replaced the current system with “true pvp” I would likely move on. However, I would be fine with it as an optional minigame, like Arena.

1 Like

Keep your socks on, they plan on having both versions.

Just imagine the raging when your opponent loops you to death.

People complain enough when the AI does it, with true PvP you’ll see it happen 75% of the time.

Pretty sure Sirrian mentioned ways around infinite loops etc.

I always saw a potential multiplayer mode as a fun way to introduce friends to the game or to play with some of the chimps on here; never as a competitive mode. Seems to be more hassle than its worth.

I see what you did there.

1 Like

I played Puzzle Quest MP on the x360 with friends. It was ok, still a little time waiting for turns. I think after the implementation people will see that true MP in Gems of War was " the grass is greener on the other side".

I’ve played tons of MP games over the years: from MUDs on campus decades ago, to Doom/Quake, Warcraft/StarCraft (on LANs), all the way to now: to modern Internet based shooters. BF, Halo, Destiny (Trials of Osiris). So I do enjoy competition.

However, I enjoy this game for what it is: a matching, collection gathering, slot machine. That simultaneously screams multitasking (Watching TV, listening to music, podcasts, chatting w/ your Significant Other, etc.)

I might play a true MP Gems match once in awhile if available, but I would not feel this game is missing anything without a Human MP mode.

4 Likes