6.9 Update: Trials of the Conqueror

I retract my statement - these trials are ludicrous :joy:

I still hold that the update is mostly a good one (I’ve loved the campaign task changes so far, for example) and doesn’t remove anything from gameplay, only adding optional new content. We’re getting to the point where new pets aren’t as vital for progression with there being so many of them, so I may just ignore most trials for now. The difficulty is comparable to pure delves, except you can’t use multiples of the given troops or continuously upgrade stats and get additional potions of power.

I like the campaign changes so far. Much less jumping back and forth to collect things to get to the next task.

I like the idea of the Trials but the way they are currently set up, they are effectively dead to me. I won’t be playing them. I see people comparing them to the PF delves….I don’t think that’s even a fair comparison.

Your delve team stats scale up with the higher levels, Trials don’t scale up accordingly.

You get to change your team troops in delves, in Trials, you don’t.

You get to use your hero weapon and class in delves, In Trials, you don’t.

I am an experienced player, level 1500+ and this is just awful.

TRIAL LEVELS OVER 150 ARE TERRIBLE!!!

16 Likes

I’m usually pretty negative on these forums, but I really do have to admit, I love the new campaign task. So much simpler and less “do arena, do 3 sets of adventure board, do 3x level 60+ delves (which means for end-gamers, you have to do a 500), treasure maps!”

1 Like

I agree that the update, as a whole, is at worst a mixed bag – the new Trials mode is an almost-complete failure, but it barely impacts my play pattern.

The new campaign system launching mid-campaign on Switch was an AVOIDABLE disaster, but at least they fixed the Skip costs for now so that limits the damage to two more weeks. But if the Skip costs could be fixed serverside (i.e. without a client update) … why did the reroll option need to be completely removed from the clientside when it could have been controlled serverside too?

While on the flipside, with Kingdom Battlecrashers now dropping twice the Crowns as before, our current Kingdom Pass event is STILL lasting the original 5 weeks so that makes it twice as fast to finish the reward track.

2 Likes

The tutorial element was already present with the old campaign tasks like “use a kingdom team”, the reroll option was already available for people who just wanted to tap tap mindlesly already. This isn’t an improvement, at best it’s a net negative with trials being so unnecessarily difficult.

So they took something that was already easy to do and had several options for all playstyles (do, reroll, skip) and made it so that campaign is brainless, trials/tutorials are now close to impossible for most players, and also added more pay options. This isn’t an improvemnt on anything but their bottom line

1 Like

On the patch notes it stated this about the crown aka Kingdom Pass " * Kingdom Passes will be changing to run only for 2 weeks."

Who really wants kingdom passes anymore? Nobody!!!
Remove those damn things once and for all!

1 Like

Regarding their bottom line, I’m going to guess that statistically, a significant enough number of older players had not finished the challenges, thus they would be both getting battles that are actually doable and likely to buy the troops they are missing. Otherwise, it makes no sense at all from a monetary point of view to lock advanced players out of paying for a thing, as we cannot get the troop offers and many cannot complete a single battle in the current kingdom, leaving not a single thing to buy and an extremely high annoyance level, which amounts to more losses than gains. The fact you only get the offer once, after completing a battle also seems very bad from a monetary standpoint to me, but then again, I’m not a business person. If you can actually do these battles, you don’t even need the things they are trying to sell, except for making the next tier of challenges they plan to hurl at us a tiny bit easier. This does not seem a worthwhile investment - I will not cough up anything to be marginally more likely to be able to do this contrived rubbish, not that I even have the option as I can’t do the first one.

Like you, I’d have bought Vulpphire Hunter had I been given the option, because it’s annoying to have a summon on the Fenix you cannot unlock the traits to.

I’m also not a raging fan of the other changes. I liked the campaign as it was, the new interface is hideous, and the rewards from the paid option are not enticing (the legendary and mythics look rubbish, and there’s nothing else interesting like diamonds or dragonite, so it amounts to paying for some books and gems - I’d rather have an offer for books and gems then).

I’m fine with more battle crashers, but I’d prefer to grind them playing with teams I enjoy than repeat the same hideous battle with the worst team ever - over and over to no avail, which is the trials, and which actually make me want to quit the game because they are a complete waste of time - at least with normal grinding you are getting some benefit from the game perspective. However, if they now last only two weeks, it doesn’t seem like more battle crashers will make any difference overall, they might even be harder to get enough of, especially if people get stuck on the idiotic trials.

Alright, after ~9 days considering the pros and cons of this situation, I’m going to have to recant my statement here.

The fact is that, as much as I want to leave everything at PL20 to avoid the unhelpful-offer-problem, at the end of the day I don’t think I really care anymore. I have 2 classes left and then just a bunch of medal grinding. I’ve moved on to other games in the meantime so I already play less of this as it is.

Might as well just throw all planning to the wind and just roll with it.

Depends on what they do with it. The next one for Adana introduces enough troops to spike the PL to 28. If only there were a better way to get Books…

1 Like

There’s also the option to park at higher levels. Fully ascended troops won’t generate offers if you level them up to less than 20. Same for troops that are missing traits.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea, Four! I have considered parking them all at PL27 as well, for the pets. I’d really rather not think about this anymore though.

Side note: I did finish Khetar’s Epic Trials - The offers were still at 1million. I thought they fixed that the other day. How annoying. Edit: Oh, I see. Next week.

If people believe Phil Spencer should be fired for Redfall.
Then no one with Infinity plus 2 should have a job after Epic Trials.
This is just the first battle, no where the top of Everest.

I would like the past 10 minutes of my life back please.

Everything about the game mode is so anti player it’s not even funny. It’s designed to do nothing but waste your time. It’s not even designed to be a gem sink until phase 2 is rolled out.

Oh the mode is too tough? Use gems or gold to buff your team. If that’s not the future plan for Epic trials then do you even have a plan?

4 Likes

What unhelpful offer problem? I’m a newer player but, I’m close to getting my first kingdom to 20 so this may soon be relevant for me.

3rd task for power level 21 requires 8 fully upgraded weapons. If you don’t have 8 weapons for the kingdom, the game will keep giving you ingot offers, which are useless in that case.

It’s really frustrating, especially if most of your other kingdoms have no offers that could be offered, you end up with ingots every other day :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that is annoying. Thank you, I’ll be sure to hang out at 20 until I know I can shoot past 21.

A quick question. I’m a little confused about the kingdom pass.
Do I understand correctly, that the number of battlecrashers per day hasn’t been changed and now the daily limit of kingdom crowns is set to 20?

On Switch currently each battlecrasher drops 2 crowns and you can still get 10 crashers per day

That is correct. There are still 10 Battlcrashers per day (the new Kingdom Pass screen now officially counts this per day), but they drop 2 Crowns each.

On Switch, our current Kingdom Pass is still running for a total of 5 weeks (making it super easy to clean up the reward track with double the Crown drops!), but going forward Kingdom Pass events will only run for two weeks at a time. Which is still sufficient to finish the reward track for free but there is MUCH less room for error if you don’t/can’t play every day:

• Previously: 35 days x 10 battlecrashers per = 350 Crowns total – 245 required for Lv.50 reward (diff = 115 extra Crowns or 11.5 extra days)
  • Going forward: 14 days per x 10 battlecrashers x 2 Crowns per = 280 Crowns total – 245 required for Lv.50 reward (diff = 35 extra Crowns or 1.75 extra days)
2 Likes

You know… I used to hate hate hate Monday mornings because of campaign. (Because I’m that person who has to do it all right away haha) I was super excited about that tedious “hoop jump fest” going away. BUT! I have to agree that now I’m feeling a little “untethered?” now on Monday. I am chalking it up to being kind of used to one thing and needing to adjust back to how I used to play. Now I can forget about whacky teams and whack banners and level the class I’m currently working on. But holy yes, it is certainly very jarring. I imagine its more jarring for players who have only had the old campaign. I think you will end up liking it better with a little time to adjust, though. Honestly.

The trials, however? I don’t think anyone will end up liking them better. Epic trials are not the tutorial, however. That’s an end game thing. If you don’t need the pet for kingdom power, just skip it. It will come back when you do need the pet, and will probably have changed for the better.

You aren’t the only one having issues. A lot of people are. Maybe not the same issues or to the same degree. Your points are valid whether they apply to every single player or not.

2 Likes

When I was going through finishing the random kingdoms I had left challenges hanging, I ran into an unbeatable one and was stubbornly taking another stab, so to speak. Gnome saved me. So shhhhhhhhh! lol