6.1 Update: Dark Smith's Curse

I would of logically thought the cursed gnome would of fell in line similar to Demon gnome where most of the drop table is chaos shards so I would of thought the cursed gnome most of the drop table would be Cursed runes instead of like the drop tables of the other basic gnomes. Also it would be nice to have a tracker for battle King Helidor drops counter. All of these are good spots.

I cross my fingers Q&A gets better or it might be on the naughty of the naught nice list (if there is one this year)

1 Like

Well, I think they’re doing something with the gnome spawn rates behind the scenes. I ran into a band gnome on two separate occasions during my last few GaP runs, have never seen them spawn while the timer is active before?

(Don’t get your hopes up too much, this is two instances over ~200 GaP battles)

This is not a change. Band gnome rates are lowered during GaP, but not eliminated.

You have to wait out the timer before you finish your last battle. I just set a timer on my phone so i know exactly when the GAP timer will end

1 Like

Thanks, didn’t know that!

1 Like

Okay, finally have a chance to write down my thoughts on the update. Here goes.

The new Soulforge levels and their crafts are a long-asked-for implementation. We’ve been asking for things like upgrading medals and crafting forge scrolls for ages now. This is really good to see. The one-time recipes are incredibly generous, and from what I’ve seen of the regular recipes, they aren’t unfair. The main bottleneck is of course the new resource, the cursed runes. While I’ve heard that the spawn rate of the gnomes is very low, I myself have not found them to be abysmally uncommon, and although I don’t play nearly as much as some players on these forums, I have already been able to upgrade my Soulforge twice without too much effort, which I am happy about. It’s important to keep in mind that newer resources are usually the bottleneck, that the bottleneck will likely loosen with time, and that you’re not really meant to get all of these new things within the first week of their release.

As for the other changes, I don’t have any massive feelings on them one way or the other. The new heroic gem is alright, the new shrine is something I’ll ignore as usual. The death knight armor price drop is really good to see, and I certainly didn’t expect such a drastic decrease.

TL;DR: The meat of this update hit really well for a change, and with the extra communication lately as well, I am personally pleased with how things are going. Doesn’t mean everything is perfect, but this is finally an update I am happy with.

4 Likes

Day 2 Total
GaP gnomes and runes not included.

16-Dec Fight C. Gnome C. Rune
126 1 13
25 1 13
31 1 10
50 1 14
39 1 14
248 1 13
39 1 11
1 1 13
144 1 11
88 1 11
91 1 13
73 1 12
169 1 10
97 1 15
59 1 11
67 1 15
22 1 11
TOTAL 1369 17 210
AVERAGE 1,24% 15,34%
5 Likes

Who knows, maybe the drop rate of cursed gnomes will actually increase after the vault event is over. I’m betting that it will remain the same as now though.

Vault events have no effect on cursed gnomes is my theory.

Hopefully they will add cursed runes to Adventure Board and daily deals at some point, as was done for war coins

2 Likes

That’s a good point - it might be the same coding oversight that happened with epic vault keys. Maybe they’ll tweak it in the future.

Just feels like a missed opportunity because the new soulforge recipes basically don’t exist.

Also, the writ cost for forge scrolls is insane, as has been said before.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say that the writ cost for forge scrolls is insane. The other options are 100 writs for a color deed (which means 5,000 for 1 book), or 1,000 for an Imperial Deed. Sure it also costs cursed runes, but it doesn’t cost diamonds.

It’s just equally as bad as all of the other crafting options for writs…

I think someone earlier in the thread mathed it out and found over 70k writs needed to max the current doomed weapons. I have 6k right now, and I’ve crafted fewer than 10 imperial deeds, so I’ve accumulated maybe 15k since writs were introduced.

They’re also continuing to add more doomed weapons at a faster rate than we can accumulate writs to craft forge scrolls.

It’ll help you max a few weapons, but it doesn’t fix the underlying problem that there’s no realistic way to upgrade all doomed weapons. It helps, but it seems like a missed opportunity.

7 Likes

It requires Tier 7 x3 each Tower of Doom (plus clearing through floor 25) to max 1 weapon per event (and they happen to release 1 new weapon with each one). That means if you are behind you have to spend even more gems or you are falling further behind, and Tier 7 x3 is just breaking even.

I happen to really like Tower of Doom, and if they had made the recipe considerably cheaper then they’d run the risk of making buying lots of tiers in that event obsolete. They could run the next cycle without new doom weapons, which would let people who missed one or more previous tower events to gain some ground (and the players who haven’t missed any could get the scrolls they need for their cursebreakers).

If anything, this just shows that they really need to run Tower of Doom events more often, so we don’t have to wait so long for get Forge Scrolls.

1 Like

I have done about 1522 battles on switch (started thursday reset), and received 105 runes. I didn’t get the numbers of battle between but this the the average non-vault rate we can expect for the next 6 days.

True, once they stop churning out new doomed weapons the problem will fix itself. We’ll catch up after enough events, even at a normal T4ish purchase.

I didn’t realize it only took 3 T7 purchases to max a weapon - thanks for that! It’s not how I’ll spend my gems, but it’s a valid option.

Well got my 410 runes and I’m done. Crafted the mythic troop, pet and 6 weapons. I really really can’t be bothered grinding another 300 to make the pet mythic.

I was finding 1 or 2 gnomes per hour roughly. Doing E1 with triple Ironhawk team roughly 300 games per hour. 4 or 5 gnomes dropped a vk which was extremely frustrating. No way would I be grinding for these gnomes without the added benefit of a gnome event running.

1 Like

Lmao 5 Cursed Rune to celebrate, what can we even do with 5?

5 Likes

Exactly because they want to sell them to you for real money. You want to quit your job and grind it out then folks can knock themselves out. I’m pretty tired of this dumpster fire. Not buying the kingdom pass again because of same nonsense. Have not bought the season pass yet because if I’m going to get behind anyway then I might as well stop spending money on it as well.

2700 battles on thursday. 343 cursed runes. I didnt keep track of the amount of cursed gnomes, but always got 10 to 14 per kill while guildmembers reported getting up to 20 rarely.

I gotta say they seem quite rare but not ridiculous imo considering you need about 1200 runes for all unlocks.

A few gnome events and some grinding and you’ll get it. I dont know why people expect to unlock everything on the day of release

2 Likes

I don’t know how you did that. I played somewhere around 500 battles yesterday in explore and got 1 cursed gnome outside GAP. ONE. It dropped 15 runes. That was after close to 5 hours of playing, with varying intensity. I did get a few cursed gnomes during GAPs, but they drop 1-2 runes, not 10+ at a time and I don’t count those.

The rates are ridiculous. You were extremely lucky - your drop rate seems to be four times mine…

5 Likes