5.6 Patch Notes (Gnome-a-Palooza)

I’m not 100% sure if it happened to me before the update, because most of what I’m doing can be divided as follows:

• Low-tier daily/campaign things where being hit by skulls doesn’t do enough damage for me to notice either way,
  • Running a Venoxia loop where they never actually hit me, or,
  • Doing faction events where I am not surprised at all to be triple-hit by skulls from above the screen and write it off as the usual horrendously bad luck.
3 Likes

How about a double gnome four day gnome weekend as compensation…

Well, as much as the bug is annoying, communication about it has been excellent so far. :+1:

Please keep this up in case Gnome-a-Palooza really turns out to work exactly as previewed. Once players realize the full potential and start adjusting their play style accordingly I’d expect some drastic changes to happen, possibly right after the upcoming weekend.

8 Likes

An ally was able to create a situation where board reset could happen:

16 Likes

Nice, thanks for sharing. The board reset is actually a good feature.

8 Likes

I posted the video on our discord-server (with mention of course), if that’s ok.

1 Like

100% agree, given the behavior it replaced: a soft-lock that caused you to lose the battle due to resetting the game.

3 Likes

So that’s why I started losing some battles in explore today.

The double skull damage bug was not caught in Beta - currently unsure whether or not it even existed on Beta, as I can’t hop on my PC right now. It’s definitely annoying, but overall this update is an extremely welcome one with lots of bug fixes to boot.

This update is a very positive one, in my eyes! :smile:

5 Likes

I have had this happen as well in Arena. I am on Xbox. If my memory is correct it always seems to only happen at the beginning of the match. As in the first move of the match for the AI is a skull match and my top troop will die from one hit

@Saltypatra and @Kafka, interestingly, not everyone in my guild can reproduce the skull damage bug.

Both @blindnighto and I are on Android using x4 animation speed.

Like others here, the enemy AI does double skull damage to me. I confirmed this in both PvP and adventure board. Here is a gif from adventure board with double skull damage:

2021_07_14_08_38_42_3

@blindnighto, being a showoff, doesn’t have this issue.

I matched the red on the bottom right, then they matched the newly aligned skulls on the right
106-59 = 47 + 2 for using knight class = 49

1 Like

Yes ai skull damage is also bleeding over to the second troop if your first troop dies for the skull damage.

Hazard posted a great example of this on the GoW Alliance discord server and I’ve submitted videos of this bug to the Devs (along with the double mana video too)

4 Likes

So what y’all are saying is: The only safe mode to play is Treasure Hunt.

14 Likes

Or, the only way to win (in 5.6) is not to play (in 5.6)—glad I haven’t upgraded my version just yet.

1 Like

I want to be excited about the new update. But I’m too intrigued about how they broke the way skull damage operates. And how it only favors the AI.

Is this finally written proof that the AI operates under a different set of rules than the human?

Can the devs also go on record and finally admit that the AI targetting a “random” troop and doing damage is not an actual even weighted dice roll?

7 Likes

I updated the game today and did world events without any problems, for those that is wondering if they should update the game themselves. Looking forward to the fix tho.

1 Like

I don’t think it has anything to do with AI rules, this rather seems to be a timing issue. Whenever you lose interaction focus, the first event to queue up seems to get processed twice if it happens fast enough (at double speed or faster).

If you watch the video in post #21 very carefully you’ll notice that it not only processes skull damage twice, it also seems to process the associated explosion mana twice, awarding 2 green mana instead of 1 to the last troop. I wouldn’t be surprised if this also happens for colored matches, not just skull matches.

1 Like

Game is absolutely unplayable in current form with skull damage bug. I’m playing at 4x speed on Steam version and every enemy skull hit SAYS it’s hitting for normal damage but actually does twice as much AND hits my next troop.

2 Likes

Bonjour ! Pour les Francophones qui passeraient par ici : il y a un bug avec la dernière mise à jour. Pour tous les joueurs qui jouent en vitesse x2 et plus, les dégats de crâne de l’IA sont doublés (entre autres). La vitesse de jeu x1-x1.5 n’est pas affectée. Il n’y a plus qu’à jouer au ralenti ou attendre le correctif.

It seems like not everyone is experiencing this bug one of my guild members has no issues with it. Could have something to do with how everyone’s game updated

1 Like