5.1 Update

1,500 deeds per kingdom (to get 30 books) … 34 kingdoms … 100 writs per deed … 5,100,000 writs.

Doesn’t this make the writ AB task seem silly? You get like 10 writs from it …

This excludes the imperial deed cost…

I still suggest making writs farmable, somehow.

2 Likes

The update is being forced out already. Which could be a great indication that the Campaign rewards may change for week 5 and so on.

(Usually they give folks a lot more time to update if they so choose to do so.)

86,400 gold and 5 gem keys? Don’t mind if I do! (This is 14,400 gold and 1 gem key more than normal rewards.)

7 Likes

Drop rates from OLD vaults… (310 Cedrics killed)

~26% of Cedric’s drops were Minor Orbs. Of those, 37% Growth, 24% Wisdom, 32% Clans, 8% Ascension
~22% were Major Orbs. 25% of those were Growth, 28% Wisdom, 34% Clans, 12.5% Ascension.

So far in the new vaults I’ve killed Cedric 64 times. Here’s what I’ve gotten:

~30% of his drops are Minor Orbs. 32% Growth. 42% Wisdom. 21% Clans, 5% Ascension.
~15.6% for Major Orbs. 10% Growth, 20% Wisdom, 20% Clans, 50% Ascension.

1 Like

Why stop at Doomed Club? Doomed Blade is busted in the same way.

3 Likes

+1

This could be balanced so that it’s close to an endless sink for traitstones, while not trivializing other sources of deeds. It would make Explore more relevant and allow players to actively work towards raising kingdom levels - giving endgame players actual goals besides rolling the adventure board dice every day and fighting a losing battle to medal all mythics.

1 Like

The dreaded triple souls… at least I didn’t also get souls from Cedric.

OH BOY, I’m SURPRISED! (Not really, these Major Orbs of Ascension are being handed out like candy – see my stats from a comment up there.)

Also here are my rewards from Epic Vault 120%. I’m pretty disappointed.

1 Like

Fair point. However, the previous patch notes also said there would be rewards in the Free Pass, which feels like one of the biggest exaggerations I’ve witnessed so far.

So, what do you think, for each Book in the Elite/Elite+ Pass, how many will we see in the Free Pass? Care to share your guess, even though you might end up looking pretty gullible? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Some positive stuff in the update but one or 2 “jaw droppers” as others have pointed out (deeds and pets for example). Bearing in mind that 4 maxed pets will be needed per Kingdom (including the faction pets when all factions are released) does that mean when each Kingdom has 4 pets assigned then the release of more pets will end? If not, the continued bombardment of cosmetic pets, combined with the rarity of pet gnomes (exacerbated by yet another gnome release) and the reduced involvement generally in pvp (not fixed…again) make this virtually impossible without buying every daily pet offer going. At least give us a glimpse of a chance by culling pets when each Kingdom has the required amount. The deed math is staggering. I am guessing it’s a rushed mistake which will be addressed in due course.

2 Likes

Players who pay for their game get more than players who don’t. News at 11.

I understand that we live in a time where people think things are free. “Google is free!” “Facebook is free!” “Everything is free!” That’s because YOU are the product. They show you ads, they get money just for showing you the ad, more if there is a click through, and even more if they are collecting data on who is viewing the ad, not to mention all the products that collect data on you anyway, who don’t even need ads, because they’re selling information about you instead.

But for Gems of War, people who are “Free to Play” are literally able to play only because of paying players. I assure you that free players watching an ad every 8 hours does not make them more money than actual paying players.

9 Likes

I was really hoping Book of Deeds would cost 10 deeds…

40+ keys and counting with no new gnome. But at least I can confirm that this is possible:

10 Likes

So get rid of all free players and let’s see how things will work for the game.

Free players are ALSO needed for a game to be a success. Paying players or “Whales” how some like to call them with a demeaning tone, are also needed too, and it’s the balance between these two and everyone in between that can keep GoW alive.

7 Likes

That’s blatantly false. No game studio has ever released a game on the hopes that they have players who don’t want to pay anything for their game. That’s just not a business model that works. They all want paying customers. They know not everyone will pay though, which is why free-to-play games exist at all, they know some people will pay and make up for the free players, but often the fact that the game is “free to play” is how it got the paying players roped in in the first place. Being free to play vastly increases who you can advertise your game to.

How they are not needed if the game developers need to pitch an attractive that HAPPENS to be advertising the game as “free”? I don’t think you are putting enough thought into this despite you being so close to understand the concept…

The game is advertised as free to play, that’s an attractive for FREE PLAYERS to join and do some advertising on their own. If the game is fun they will “work” to advertise the game on their own volition, this increases the number of people joining the game, and of course this generates metrics that can put the game under the radar of more and more people.

Sure, just having Free Players and advertising, even if it’s free, will not pay the bills. And that’s where the monetization and offers will appeal to a portion of the estabilished playerbase. Players can invest into the game for different reasons, to give back some love in form of financial support, to get content unlocked in an easier way…

But all of that is POSSIBLE and EASIER if the game is OPEN/FREE. If GoW would have started as a monthly subscription game do you really think it would be as successful?

8 Likes

I’ll add that sometimes it really seems absurd when people bring up this debate of Paying vs Free.

It honestly comes of as entitlement:

“I’ve paid for something in the game so I’m better than all the filthy and disgusting leeches who plagues this game. It’s all their fault for being poor and dumb, and filthy, poor and repetitive and also poor.”
“Yeah, if this game was only for the Vip Master Race it would be great! Only the best content and the best Mythics would be avalable for us, rich and awe$ome people to enjoy.”
“I really hate when one of these filthy peasants open a few glory keys and pull a Mythic, while me Money McMoneyface the Third, had to buy U$ 500,00 in gems and still failed at getting mine. Hahah… but I’m not jealous, I just hate free players because they are poor, dumb and filthy like my broh up there said. I’m just gonna buy more gems and unlock my Mythic like a TRUE player.”
I’ve seen many players here, OLD and NEW, who paid for some stuff just to support the devs (in the past and some still do to keep supporting them), and also to get worthy benefits, complain about things related to the direction of the monetization. And MANY times people come out to “soft” censor them in some degree, sometimes not so “soft”…

2 Likes

This game is free to play and like all other F2P games they have a monetization system.
Players are not born either free players or paying players. Any players joining a F2P joined it as a F2Player and if they want they can buy something.

Not sure about that. These F2P can do also the opposite and say “this game is P2W don’t play it” to their buddies. So bad publicity, so less players.
And paying players [PP] can do the same. But PP are less susceptible to pitchfork because Patch X adds a new offer in the Shop for dollars.

And you think it is clever to put oil on the fire with your hyperbolic examples which seems to be there just to insult the paying players? :thinking:

I have no idea what you are talking about at this point Razzagor. Your initial argument was that free players aren’t getting as many rewards as paying players. Why would they?

It’s not blatantly false. In fact it’s why these games are free to play. They need a player base and community to build their game up. Just having paid players and catering just to those paid players is not a strategy that would be successful in any game. Of course the devs need to get as much out of the players as they can but completly ignoring a large part of their player base would kill gems in a heart beat.

A paid player should get compensated properly for what they put into the game. It’s why I thought both the F2P and elite pass paths in the campaign were both trash in terms of rewards(outside of the mythic). As a F2P I have no problem with paying players getting value for their money. Long as a F2P can obtain all rewards eventually I have no problem.

It’s also a false assumption that a F2P is a leech since a very active and engaged F2P player who is part of a network can generate income by spreading the word about the game and keeping other players who do pay engaged. The devs do nothing to support these communities which are holding the game together for them. Hopefully that will be addressed at some point, starting with a better gems road map and communication.

Overall the update was good, no complaints.

3 Likes

oh good. We’ve gotten to the part of the thread when everyone is arguing about business models and profitability and F2P and P2W. Someone message me when we get back on topic please.

9 Likes